Page 7 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

Greg
    Don't feel bad about being a few ponies short, I believe I have a motor thats half the hp's of Ed's!
    I firmly believe my boat runs flat cause of my tank and the bulkhead I put in just forward of the helm

Keep up the good work

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

How did I miss this thread?

Nothing special about that prop.... It just happened to help the 16 be a bit more docile. The SS made all of the difference and she only had 350 CID...

Quad IV O/T....

and I'm sure that 350 was stock too

Jamie you are starting to sound like Bob Haver LOL
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

I have a friend that raced cats that had 650hp out of a 350.

Parnell

George, that is a Sidewinder hull in pic # 4. The West Coast crowd have frequently used delta pads with success including Howard. Agree that there certainly a few rigs with BIG horsepower out there. I never really could figure out what Ed D's had for ponies though.

Here is the BH layout pictures moving forward from the inside of the transom they are placed at 37" - 107" - 144"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Cheekz View Post
    I firmly believe my boat runs flat cause of my tank and the bulkhead I put in just forward of the helm
    Parnell
    I think I agree w/Parnell.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I never really could figure out what Ed D's had for ponies though.
    Rumor was a 1000 of them

Parnell

Why do I get the distinct feeling that I have brought a knife to a gun fight

To that end, I got a kick out of this from the archives. It looks like it was posted on 12-04-01 by some guy named Alan Brown;

I did the 7 meter, Harry Schoell did the Spitfire/Pescador. Stinkin' is a play on words from the "We don't need no stinkin' guns....." We didn't need no stinkin' outboards.... Nothing personal. I wish I had a 16' Baby (named for my raceboat, Donzi Baby) with a 2.5 offshore merc w/ sportmaster.
    Brownie

This was in response to another post on 12-02-2001, by a past member named lou;

There were several 65 and 66 outboards sold. I have a "stinkin" 1965 16 outboard that was sold to Gerry Walin by Donzi. He used it as a test mule for the starflite IV and it still has the motor on it. I know of another 1965 "stinkin" 16 outboard that was used by Mercury for testing in 1966 on Lake X and was destroyed while in tow in Lakeland Florida. Donzi also build another "stinkin" 1965 19 foot outboard and it was built for the great Jerry Langer who drove it to first place at the 1965 Sam Griffith Memorial. I believe that Allan Brown is a treasure of Donzi history and a wonderful part of this registry. I am only sorry that my boat offends him so.
    lou

Well at least I got a kick out of it. Now back to our regular programming!

I still have a ton of things to think through. Some items include my concept for a fold down center armrest as shown in pic #1 and #2. I think it would add function, but also give your butt something to anchor against under speed on that slippery front bench. I'm also thinking about moving the stock steering wheel location a few inches to starboard. The #3 pic shows that there is plenty of room on the dash for that. Even giving some thought to having dual steering stations with removable wheel mount. I also expect to have a problem with the front right radius and how it will interfere with the shifters forward throw with the front bench pinching up against the stock shifter's location as shown in pic #4.

And then there is the real brain teaser, the Master Fabricator thinks we can actually set the hull up with removable pads. You have different props for different needs, why not have two or three different bolt up pads to experiment with like pic #5. Hmmmmmmmm

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Greg, the bigger boats usually have a notched transom with the pad,,now that would be interesting

Thanks Fixx, the notch (as pictured below) was one of the points I discussed with "The Scientist" and we both agreed that a notch would not be a great help as the eggbeater allows as much up and down propshaft placement as might be needed. The data is back in and it is pretty interesting. Here is a snippet of the info .............I can't figure out how to convert it to a picture.
    Attached Files Attached Files

And here is an interesting snippet that comments on the XCG or Dynamic Center of Gravity characteristics of the hull. Recognize that the calculations were all based on supplying a LOT of data on MY weedeater hull specifically. I got back an 11 page report once he ran it through the abacus.

The observation is that the location of XCGDynamic changes from 8.1 ft fore of transom at 25mph to 1 ft fore of transom at 70 mph. After the "hump" transition (at approximately 35mph), the "200 hp 16 Donzi With Pad" exhibits no overly dramatic changes in XCGDynamic through the higher speed operating range. This lack of "sudden" changes in XCGDynamic tends to make the "feel" of the hull one of general stability, and will contribute to a more confident ride, with accessible control, by the driver.

It looks like the only Donzi 16 Classic I/O with a pad was Ed Donnelly's Twin Turbo monster. I know, I know, not everyone posts on this board so maybe there are others hiding.

Ed D, if you are out there, and realizing it was a ways back, any chance you remember who the dimensions were on your pad? It would be a big help

Greg;Sorry for taking so long to respond.. That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long ago, but, I think
    The pad was 8" x 6'
    The step was 6" setback
    The strakes were extended to the transom
    Speedrails were added to the strakes

I ran 28 lbs boost on the Gale Banks twin turbo (350 chebby) with a stage 3 air to water intercooler..

I also had timing retard that was boost referenced..

Please don't quote me on the dimensions, as that was like 30 yrs ago...Ed

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    Greg;Sorry for taking so long to respond.. That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long ago, but, I think
    The pad was 8" x 6'
    The step was 6" setback
    The strakes were extended to the transom
    Speedrails were added to the strakes

I ran 28 lbs boost on the Gale Banks twin turbo (350 chebby) with a stage 3 air to water intercooler..

I also had timing retard that was boost referenced..

Please don't quote me on the dimensions, as that was like 30 yrs ago...Ed

Ed do you still have that little monster? Also was their hydraulic steering on the boat ?

Thread Information