Thread: Barn Find - 100% Intact 1965 16

Barn Find - 100% Intact 1965 16

Brand new member George Lyons bagged a serious barn find when he bought a 1965 Ski Sporter at a little known auction in Missouri. This is a 100% numbers matching Eaton boat and it has all the pieces and parts intact. Before George bought it, I discovered the boat and was in contact with the owners Son doing some research work. The owner before GL was Dr. Robert Shemwell. Turns out Bob had purchased the boat in the 1970's from a Lake of the Ozarks dealer, using it for a few years with his wife and kids before it went into hiding in his barn for decades. Then the boat surfaced and was auctioned on December 8, 2018 along with a ton of cool old cars.

George is going to bring her back to life and hopefully he will add to this thread as he begins his restoration. Solid Lucan Red with a Wonder white stripe done in the gel on the deck only and a white interior. Has the Interceptor V8 and Powernaut flip up drive with all numbers intact. Super similar set up to Bob in Covingtons Grumble Green 16. George is probably going to need certain parts as he goes so help him out as he posts looking for stuff.

Here are the photos of George's new toy as it came out of the barn. Nice to see one saved from the shredder
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Welcome to the site George! You have some fun in front of you for sure

Quote Originally Posted by George Lyons View Post
    Greetings Donzi Enthusiasts. I am the new owner of the Red '65 16 that just came out of long term storage in Missouri. It has been posted all over this forum. My enthusiasm for this particular boat comes from my heavy involvement in the collector car hobby. I really appreciate unrestored, untampered with survivors and this Donzi is truly amazing in that category. My forensic inspection of this boat and all of its drivetrain componentry reveals all original dated parts ranging from late 1964 thru mid year 1965. Greg Guimond has been most helpful in steering me thru some questions I had and I Thank him profusely. I plan on doing a much needed but very sympathetic restoration and getting this boat back in the water (Lake Erie) as soon as possible. My patience to find an good unmolested early Sporter paid off as this boat is pretty amazing for its 50 plus years of age. I'll post some more pictures once we get things underway. Thank You

George good points made by Matty below.

Let me ask you, I'm assuming you are keeping things pretty much stock? At least I hope you do including the motor and original gel coat. What is the plan?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    welcome , and good luck with your 16 they are fun boats . keep in mind the early boats were not layed up all that well and being a car guy you know that by the late 60s and early 70s the HP and torque coming from a small block nearly doubled. one of the reasons you don't see many early examples of the 16 is once they replaced the original V8s with stronger motors and drives the glass wasn't up to the stresses of new found torque and speed. If you plan on putting a stout small block in there you will need to protect your investment by re-enforcing the bottom. It may be worth contacting Cliff at the DMRS he had a very early 65 eaton 16 believed to be hull 23 updated to a SBC the boat was in solid shape the transom was redone but it had some issues after the repower under the motor. the layup on the 16 got stronger thru the late 60s and on. This color scheme was pretty popular exact setup Jay Lurie and Patrick from the LGDCC had here a shot of those two together these are a bit newer than yours they are 1967s

My '65 Donzi 16

As with my vintage Indy Race Cars, they are restored to be back on the track at Indy, safe and fast but NEVER driven to the level they were run in the 60's. For one, I'm not capable to drive these cars at those speeds and I would not subject these ancient cars to that level of stress. I have over 200 laps in Vintage Cars on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and have hit 120-130mph speeds in my cars that are capable of 175. Believe me, that is enough to get the thrill..........and stay alive. The Donzi 16 will be treated the same way, run 40mph or so but not abused. If I want the thrill of a fast boat, I have buddies that have those things, just not my bag.

054.JPGIMG_2759.JPG20101008_59.JPG

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the boat. Sounds like you've got a good plan.

I loved my '67 Ski Sporter and tried to keep it as original as possible or at least in the spirit of originality.
    Speed is always relative and someone is always faster. I used to joke that my boat had a 65 mph engine in 55 mph hull with 45 mph steering!
    NO ONE ever got out of that boat wishing it went faster But it drew crowds and compliments everywhere.

Good luck and keep us all posted.
    1967 Ski Sporter (sold)
    2004 40th Anniversary Edition 18

Congrats on the purchase George.
    Hopefully you'll share your restoration progress on this site.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Great addition to the stable! Congrats!

Congrats! Interested to see this going forward.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

----Well, George! Bill Stephenson here. Welcome to the craziness. I have known George for the better part of 30 years and he is a truly dedicated to originality type of guy. As well, he has one of the best Mercedes dealers around in Erie Pennsylvania. If you want a Mercedes and want to be treated beyond well, give him a call!......Bill S

Congrats on your find, cannot wait to see the progress! I treat my 18 the way you describe, keep it original and not abused. My boat will run 55... a terrifying 55! So mostly it gets treated like an old racehorse, just lope it around the lake 35-45mph. Makes both of us happy!
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

Thread Information