Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turning off the mouse pad

Turning off the mouse pad

How can I turn off the mouse pad on my laptop? I know I've done it before. It is a Compaq Pressario M2108US.

Click Start/Control Panel/Device Manager..and look for "Mice and other pointing devices" and disable it there. John
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJon View Post
    Click Start/Control Panel/Device Manager..and look for "Mice and other pointing devices" and disable it there. John
    I tried that.

CUDA: You're are driving me crazy. Why do you want to "Turn Off" the Mouse Pad..?? I am assuming "Mouse Pad" means the "touch pad" below the keyboard on your laptop..?? Do you want to use a separate Mouse with your laptop..?? Just wondering. John
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJon View Post
    CUDA: You're are driving me crazy. Why do you want to "Turn Off" the Mouse Pad..?? I am assuming "Mouse Pad" means the "touch pad" below the keyboard on your laptop..?? Do you want to use a separate Mouse with your laptop..?? Just wondering. John
    Yes, I have a separate mouse. I get my palms on the mouse pad when I try to type on it. It's very irritating. I just had XP reinstalled, and I added 512 megs of RAM. I know I had it off before. I called my brother, and he didn't remember.

OK: I get it now. I don't know why you hav'nt been able turn OFF the "Touch Pad" in Device Manager and turn ON the external mouse in the same place. Maybe you need a Driver for the external mouse. I'm no expert with computers. Maybe someone else can weigh in. John

The mouse is working. I'm using it right now.

Just an unverified stab, but a quick Google search turned up this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3205647AARi3gh
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Joe, I don't have XP anymore but you should be able to get to it from control panel. In the device settings you can disable it. You can't disable in device manager if memory serves me correct.

IF you really are stumped, write down the mouse pad maker/type and go to regedit and search for it. It should have a key value that is obvious to set the enable/disable. BE CAREFULL.
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

I've given up, and just put a rag over the mouse pad.

Kinda like putting tape over the flashing clock on the front of the VCR, I like it!
    "Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. And recovery is when Obama loses his."

Little Boat 88' Regazza 25' 454 Mag/Bravo I

Big Boat 86' Carver 36' twin 7.4/bravo II's

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    Joe, I don't have XP anymore but you should be able to get to it from control panel. In the device settings you can disable it. You can't disable in device manager if memory serves me correct.
    IF you really are stumped, write down the mouse pad maker/type and go to regedit and search for it. It should have a key value that is obvious to set the enable/disable. BE CAREFULL.
    The mouse pad is an itegral part of the laptop. The first thing I did was go under Contol Panel to diable it. My brother doesn't remember, but he told me how to disable it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzojessie View Post
    Kinda like putting tape over the flashing clock on the front of the VCR, I like it!
    I took it a step farther.................I unpluged the VCR.

Try one of the F keys at the top of your keyboard. Mine's a Toshiba and I hit 'Fn' 'F9' to turn my touchpad on and off.
    The best revenge is living well.

The mousepad is still on. The rag over it is quite bothersome.

Thread Information