Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: outboard set-back

MOP, I understand the forces involved w/ moving the motor off the transom. I would like to buy a jackplate and would like info on the set-back. Presently running a 20" w/standard l/u for a '93 Mariner 200. Realizing that app. 170 hulls were built, how many owners would like to work on maximizing their hull speeds, might not have much info to gather. "HIGH LIFE"

resurrection

Sorry for the resurrection and hi-jacking, but I've secured a 1976 Donzi 16 OB with a Merc Black Max (~220hp with upgraded carbs), and I need to weigh the need and options for securing the transom. My kids'll be on this boat, close off the coast of CA on nice days, so I don't wanna test my luck.

#1. Ya think $1,500 will cover having SS rods installed from the transom plate to the stringers??
    #2. How about expenses for knee braces? Maybe $2-3K??
    #3. Is the backing plate stock from the factory on all 16 OBs? Or is the plate a sign of a band-aid job that's already been done?

Pics below. Thanks for any insights.

OH, and please disregard the windsheild. It looks functional, but ruins the boats lines. Must go!
    Dave911

Profile.jpg

BoatRear.jpg

PortTransomDrainPlug.jpg

PortTransomInner.jpg

StarboardTransomLower.jpg

StarboardTransomUpper.jpg

StarboardTrasomALL.jpg

Judging from the pics (which are worth a thousand words) I'd completely re-do the transom from scratch . The idea of s/s rods would just be a band aid IMO

Bear in mind that a 225 Merc is not only much heavier than what the max recommended HP was for that boat back when it was built but it's also a minimum of 100hp more than factory recommended also. Could be more even as the OBs back then were crankshaft rated and the newer ones are supposed to be PSHP rated .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thanks, Morgan'sCloud. I just visited the boat, and put all of my 200lbs on the tilted motor and gave a good few bounces. ZERO movement. Plastic hammered all over the transom with consitant sound qualities. I'm gonna bring in to an hull guy shortly. But thanks.

Dave,
    Your are about 200; mota is about 375 lbs. Thats befor the force of 225hp & a propellor levering against the top of the transom. Something is moving to cause cracks. If you want to see it, have the wife drag the boat down the highway while you drive next to the transom. I bet you will see movement. I did the band aid of rods on a low profile outboard with a 115 for about 5 years until the transom was shot. It worked but was a band aid. And that boat was lighter that a sacred Donz. (Now I run a 200 and the Trans. is solid) The kness are real trick and work great, and you do need a whole new transom when you can cough the dough to get it done. Love the boat. Contrary to many opinions the windsheild don't look half bad either!
    Do you ever get on the Calif Delta? Will look for ya.

Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thanks GG. I actually backed out of the deal. I couldn't find a way to fit it in my little garage which is 18' 6". Even with the trailer cut back to the "Y", and the boat at an angle, and backward. Just no fit. Soo...If it's no gonna fit in the garage, I'll hold off on a purchase for something a lil bigger. Best, Dave...I hear there are a couple people lined up behind me to buy, but I can share the owners contact info if anyone wants. PM me.

Thread Information