Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stripers caught in Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Team Jefe View Post
    Hey I'm from Texas and as a Moderator I can Confirm that everything is bigger here....even our egos.

Actually Cuda, if you want 5lbs of sardines, you get 1/2 a fillet

Nice catch Bill, never been striper fishing myself....tend to just play in Plain water, maybe I need to get up your way and give it a try.

I mean if Mr. X has done it....I should too
    I know it can't compare to saltwater fishing, but there are tons of guys who come here to fish for them. There are more registered guides here at Lake Texoma than all the rest of Texas combined. Our lake has just enough salt that comes in from the Red River going over some salt domes on its way here that the eggs can develop and the striped bass propogate unlike most every other fresh water lake in the US where they have to be introduced constantly. Give it a try sometime - I'll take you out. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Bill,

Quick side question--do you know if there are GPS chart chips that cover inland lakes like Texoma? I've looked on the web and see (like at Navionics) chips that have things in that area, but I don't see anything explicit about what is included beyond a few listed rivers.

For instance, I have a Northstar 6000i, which I love--if I went somewhere like Texoma, would it be worthless?

Are there even proper charts of the inland lakes around Dallas available? I didn't see them in the NOAA online chart viewer when I looked either.

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    LOL Jefe, in Texas, even the typos are bigger. (You might want to do an edit on your post above.)<giggle> )
    Oops, thats what I get for trying to post from my Blackberry....No offense meant...I just have little fat fingers, with no thumb typing skills.
    Capt. D.J. "Jefe" Reid -- RIP Big Grizz..and MOM
    '98 30ZF - Jefe's Revenge, '07 250 E-Tecs
    Founder/Co-Captain (South Region) - Donzi RED Bikini Crew
    "Revenge is a Dish Best Served...Wet"
    www.facebook.com/Team.Jefe

Quote Originally Posted by Team Jefe View Post
    Oops, thats what I get for trying to post from my Blackberry....No offense meant...I just have little fat fingers, with no thumb typing skills.
    LOL, I cannot imagine anyone would take offense--just a funny typo. I've seen sitcoms use that kinda material it's so laughable.

Mike

P.S. Hey, I just typed my own name wrong, hitting K instead of M--how ironic would that have been if I hadn't realized it?

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    I know it can't compare to saltwater fishing, but there are tons of guys who come here to fish for them. There are more registered guides here at Lake Texoma than all the rest of Texas combined. Our lake has just enough salt that comes in from the Red River going over some salt domes on its way here that the eggs can develop and the striped bass propogate unlike most every other fresh water lake in the US where they have to be introduced constantly. Give it a try sometime - I'll take you out. Bill
    The stripers in the lakes in SC reproduce naturally. They have a cross between white bass, and stripers here they call Sunshine Bass. Most people just call them stripers. They cannot reproduce, but if you tied one to the tail of a similar largemout, the Sunshine Bass could pull the bucket mouth on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Bill,

Quick side question--do you know if there are GPS chart chips that cover inland lakes like Texoma? I've looked on the web and see (like at Navionics) chips that have things in that area, but I don't see anything explicit about what is included beyond a few listed rivers.

For instance, I have a Northstar 6000i, which I love--if I went somewhere like Texoma, would it be worthless?

Are there even proper charts of the inland lakes around Dallas available? I didn't see them in the NOAA online chart viewer when I looked either.

Mike
    Mike,
    I just now saw your question. I really don't know much about charts. I got an older GPS chart in the GPS/depth sounder in the 36' Cigarette I recently bought, and it shows our islands and shorelines when I played with it for a few minutes on my only day out in it. So my guess is that a good chart chip would be helpful here. Sorry about not having any more of an answer. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Mike,
    I just now saw you question. I really don't know much about charts. I got an older GPS chart in the GPS/depth sounder in the 36' Cigarette I recently bought, and it shows our islands and shorelines when I played with it for a few minutes on my only day out in it. So my guess is that a good chart chip would be helpful here. Sorry about not having any more of an answer. Bill
    Actually, that's very encouraging. It suggests the data DO exist. If they do, it shouldn't be to hard for the manufacturers to get them onto the right card for a given device, and my guess is they may be on the ones I have seen for the region. Just, too many lakes to list. I may check with the folks at Northstar or Navionics with an email, and will report anything that I find out.

Mike

Was it a stripper or a striped bass?

I know they have been introduced to many US lakes. In Lake Ouachita in Arkansas, they catch them up to around 53lbs!
    Wondered who would pick up on that!
    Yes it was a Stripper, during the famous Texoma poker run, at tanglewood
    Took her and her girlfriend along on the second stage of the poker run in the afternoon. And that was just the beginning of the fun!
    Then ended up being a judge in the Hawian Tropic Bikini contest later that night. Thats all I can say.....here. CRAZY TIMES in my single days.....long ago!
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    Took her and her girlfriend along on the second stage of the poker run in the afternoon. And that was just the beginning of the fun!
    Then ended up being a judge in the Hawian Tropic Bikini contest later that night. Thats all I can say.....here. CRAZY TIMES in my single days.....long ago!
    I am guessing that you were here in the late 1980s to the early 1990s. That is when things were wild like you described. I had my share of fun since I was single at the time. Most of those Hawaiian Tropic girls who travelled the circuit were both tan and buff. Things still get pretty wild out at the islands from what I am told. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
    Hawiian Tropic's HQ is in Daytona Beach. I know a girl who was Ms Hawaiian Tropic about 25 years ago. She is still a good looking woman!

Thread Information