Thread: 18 classic & Dana Marine shifter

18 classic & Dana Marine shifter

I took the boat out yesterday to try the new control box. I really like the feel of the throttle and the ability to make the smallest speed adjustments. This is a big improvement. However, I wish the throttle was 9 inches further forward as I'm almost reaching back for the throttle now instead of it falling into my hand. The throttle is at a 45 degree angle when at idle instead of being straight up at 90 degrees to the boat. The perfect place for the throttle would be about 9 inches further forward which is where my trim tab controls are. If anyone is putting in a new set of these controls you should evaluate whether you want to move the control box.
    T.M. Hayes

I had a buddy ran into the same issue, rather then hack up the boat he rotated the control box to reposition the levers forward. Full throttle ended up being a little bit down from level but made him a bunch happier.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

That's a great idea! Thank you so much as I really like the throttle but I am disappointed with the position issue. I have no doubt the throttle position will be a big issue trying to run at faster speeds in choppy water with a hand on the throttle.
    T.M. Hayes

I have the Dana controls on my 18 clone and love them. I had the luxury of moving the controls forward a bit when doing the resto - and I drive with the seat back pretty far - so they work fine for me.
    If you don't like the throttle back at a 45 when at idle, you can simply take it apart and rotate the throttle lever to give you a straight-up 90-degree-to-boat idle position. I can't tell you from memory exactly how to do this and I can't even run out and take a look at the controls as I am not even in the same State as my boat right now! But it is not difficult. As I recall you just take the main nut off the back and rotate the control. I did that and then decided that I liked it better at the 45 degree idle position. So I switched it back. This is a VERY versatile control and can be almost infinitely adjusted to your liking. Take it apart and figure it out. It's pretty simple.

ERIC
    "There are two theories for arguing with women - neither one of them works."

Thread Information