Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Donzi finally is Running

My Donzi finally is Running

I don't know if anyone here remembers, but I got onto this forum during the summer to ask for some advice on a 18' Donzi that my uncle gave me. It had a unrepairable 455 Oldsmobile paired to a Berkley jet.
    Here is the link to that thread: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58225

Well, it has been in the shop for the last few months, and it is now running! I decided not to put another Olds in. It had already gone through 2, and I could not find anybody locally who would work with one. Instead I went with a Mercruiser 454 that I got used (low hours) for a good deal. It took a while to find all the parts I needed. The bellhousing is no longer in production so it was hard to find.

I took it out on the lake today and it ran great. I have no idea how fast it is, I will have to wait for a warmer day to find that out (Today was a high if 40 degrees). This is my first time to drive a jet, so that will take some getting used to. It is a little more difficult to maneuver at low speeds, but it is fun to drive.

Here are some pictures of the engine and boat. The engine compartment looks so much better than it did with the olds.

Nice rare Donzi,,,ENJOY it when the weather gets a little warmer....Ed

Oh I remember...

I remember the old convo about your boat. I was excited for you then, and I'm VERY excited for you now. So glad to see that it's running. Have fun with it!!!
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Thar's a COOL old Donzi!

Congrats on getting it running.

JL

It must be true !!! Old Donzi's don't die ,,,,, they get better with age.... Great job on getting the boat running again.... hope to get mine to that stage again soon..... enjoy the ride..... Like the colors !!!
    Captain Dennis Gray

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Congrats! Glad to see you finally gotit running

BTW i hope you winterized it being that cold during the day,its gonna get colder at night and that when the water in the block WILL CRACK THE BLOCK..

Just giving my heads up!

FIXX

Congratulations! It looks good.

I like the engine hour meter on the engine shroud. Very clean.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    Congrats! Glad to see you finally gotit running

BTW i hope you winterized it being that cold during the day,its gonna get colder at night and that when the water in the block WILL CRACK THE BLOCK..

Just giving my heads up!

FIXX
    I drained the block and put in antifreeze as soon as I got out of the water. That would be pretty embarrassing if I lost an engine the second day I had it.

This engine is a lot easier to winterize than other boats I've been around. He set it up to where it only takes about 10 minutes to drain everything and fill it up with antifreeze.

Sweet color...I think it was called Inca Gold?
    The seats also look like a light gold, very cool.

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Glad to see you kept the jet. You'll get use to the slow speed handling. It's great at the docks. You'll be able to get into spots you couldn't if you had an outdrive.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Nice to see the jet stay in it.. J

Well done and congratulations.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

That seems to be a good choice for the engine transplant since 454 parts are easy to find. Now you still have a fairly original Donzi jet. You also still have the original 35 year old Rocket trailer under it - that is a real testimonial as to their longevity. I have customers having to replace their 6 year old box framed trailers all the time here at Lake Texoma. If you ever venture up this way from Fort Worth, give me a shout. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

That is a good job. looks good and will run at least as good as the olds, and last longer.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by sbdunc12 View Post
    I drained the block and put in antifreeze as soon as I got out of the water. That would be pretty embarrassing if I lost an engine the second day I had it.

This engine is a lot easier to winterize than other boats I've been around. He set it up to where it only takes about 10 minutes to drain everything and fill it up with antifreeze.

Another head's up! Those jets put out alot of pressure,before you take it out again the engine water is fed by the jet pump..Check the line pressure going into the thermostat housing,if its too much it will keep the engine to cold and can force the water through the gaskets.. The fixx would be to regulate the pressure going into the engine some how, ive seen people use a ball valve or a water spicket that goes on a house,hoke but it works.. theirs a kit you could but that has a bypass in it to bypass the extra water.looks easy to make..
    here's the link..3/4 the way down the page..

http://hi-techperformance.com/HPParts.HTM

Thread Information