Thread: Upgrading Donzi Ragazza

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Upgrading Donzi Ragazza

Hi everyone,

I just joined the Donzi Registry. I bought a 1989 Ragazza 19 a couple for years ago. I needed a family boat that could handle the waves on our lake and the Ragazza's deep vee hull fit the bill. Unfortunately the 2.3L Ford Cobra engine with OMC stern drive has had a lot of problems and is way underpowered for the boat. My son likes to waterski with a bunch of friends and the boat has a rough time. I know a mechanic who has access to some engines quite cheap and could put in a 4.3L Merc. He could even put in a V8 but I think this might be too big for the boat. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    nuts 'N bolts

a v-8 would not be too big for the Ragazza,.... but I don't think I'd do it,.... and I did do it to my 21 (had the 4.3, put a 5.7 in it).

If the deal is right, I'd put the 4.3 in there and be happy, but keep it what it is, a nice family skiing boat;

Now, that being said, ultimately, do what makes 'ya happy

Wayne
    1967 Ski Sporter Bench Seat Project Boat

Tact - The ability to make a point without making an enemy.

Hello Nuts n Bolts....

....and even though I'm new here myself, welcome aboard.

Yes, your 19' should handle the 4.3 or v-8 readily. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. I don't know how the engine mounts on the 2.3 vs either the 4.3 or a v-8 would line up, but am certain someone here will be able to advise. My ragazza is 17' with the 4.3, and it pulls skier's readily with a 19 pitch prop.

I read Onesubdrvr's complete conversion post on his boat....do a search on here for "world's fastest ragazza" and you'll find it. (I don't know how to post a link to it here, sorry.)

Make sure your stringers and transom are solid...no matter which way you go. Personally, if I were to be faced with replacing the motor on my boat, I would go with a 383 v-8...but that's just me. Nothing wrong with the 4.3, but if you're pulling a skier and have a few 180 lb teenagers on board as well, you'll probably be happier in the long run with a V-8.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on how you decide to go.

With kind regards,
    Phil S.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice Phil and Wayne. I'm still discussing with the mechanic but the 4.3l engine is brand new. It was pulled out of another boat by a mechanic who wanted a V-8 in his 21`. So, I'll probably go with the 4.3L although I wonder how it'll do with 5 180 to 200 lb young adults in the boat. I'll let you know how it goes. While I'm at it I'm going to fix up the interior: put in captain's seat, reupholster, and recarpet...a nice little winter job!

Kevin

Top Speed with 4.3L?

Hey Phil,

What's your top speed with the 4.3L? It should be a bit lighter than my 19`but should be roughly equivalent I would think.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    Hello Nuts n Bolts....

....and even though I'm new here myself, welcome aboard.

Yes, your 19' should handle the 4.3 or v-8 readily. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. I don't know how the engine mounts on the 2.3 vs either the 4.3 or a v-8 would line up, but am certain someone here will be able to advise. My ragazza is 17' with the 4.3, and it pulls skier's readily with a 19 pitch prop.

I read Onesubdrvr's complete conversion post on his boat....do a search on here for "world's fastest ragazza" and you'll find it. (I don't know how to post a link to it here, sorry.)

Make sure your stringers and transom are solid...no matter which way you go. Personally, if I were to be faced with replacing the motor on my boat, I would go with a 383 v-8...but that's just me. Nothing wrong with the 4.3, but if you're pulling a skier and have a few 180 lb teenagers on board as well, you'll probably be happier in the long run with a V-8.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on how you decide to go.

With kind regards,
    Phil S.

Nuts n Bolts -

4.3 with 4 bbl, hand-held gps says 50mph with 2 on board. That's also running over the 4800 rpm max for this motor. I'd like to see what it would do with a 14.25 x 21 pitch though. Low to mid-50's, I would think, is all you should expect though with the 4.3, unless you really hopped up that motor. I think subdrver got in the mid-60's with his set-up.

With that said though, if you're mostly pulling skiers / wakeboarders, etc., you're gonna want the holeshot and pulling torque more than a top end number.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
    With kind regards,
    Phil S

Well, I put in a rebuilt 4.3L. The V-8 wouldn't have fit easily; the floor would have to be ripped up and gas tank moved. Now I need to redo the interior. It's unbelievable how much good captain's seats cost.

Thread Information