Thread: 650 holley or Rochester MINX

650 holley or Rochester MINX

I got started today installing crate motor "16 hrs" and have a question but first. I bead blasted all the old parts parts and painted. Installed timing cover, valve covers, and balancer. Had to order new intake for newer style heads, new pan, oil pickup, and will order new exhaust mine was a 3 out of a 10. My question if it was you would you rebuild a 650 holley or put a Rochester on?
    Thanks Tim

Stirring the pot!! You will get a lot of opinions, both are decent carbs. I run a Holley 750 on my 383, but to be honest having been a boat mech for a long time I would rather have a Qjet on it. I have found the Qjets far more reliable, many will argue better performance with the Holley. If you mainly cruise you will get slightly better fuel economy with a Qjet. If you have a Holley rebuild it and you will be fine!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

That all depends on the intake manifold. The Quadrajet is a spread-bore design carburetor, using 1-3/8" primary bores and 2-1/4" secondaries.
    They are technically obsolete as they aren't manufactured any more.

While your at it you could restore a flathead too

here's a link, all you never wanted to know about them
    http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature21.html
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Millions of Qjets stayed around until FI, it was one of the longest runs of any carb in both auto and marine industries. They are less problematic and offer better fuel economy. I will grant you the newer Holleys are better they used to be, but I lived through the early day of leaky bowls and popped power valves. A well set up Qjet is hard to beat, I feel that over the years they have proven better in marine applications.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

margo Guest

margo

have to agree with Mop..Have twin 350,s with qjets, never been touched since new in 1985....Never a problem starting and no leaks Joe

Thread Information