Thread: paging fly fishermen

paging fly fishermen

got a question on waders

if you get a pair of stocking foot waders you need to wear somekind of boot also

a pair of boot foot waders have a boot as part of them is that correct??

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    got a question on waders

if you get a pair of stocking foot waders you need to wear somekind of boot also

a pair of boot foot waders have a boot as part of them is that correct??
    Matty one of my friends does a lot fly fishing, he wear reef walkers with the sock waders, he used the boots for a long time but says the reef walkers give a better footing.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

thanks Phil,

well there not for me, My daughter Jamie needs them for her marine biology
    class they will be in the field( the long island sound) taking samples and such all year rain or shine . The upper classmen use both stocking and boot waders she is going to get a pair of bootfoot women's waders she also needs a gordon's fishermen outfit too she wants lime green not yellow.

she called me at work yesterday she will be spending fridays out on the sound in one of the Univ's 14 boats. geesh

Lightbulb

Matty you might want to check out the thermal value on the waders if it's all year sampling.

Thanks Don

Jamie got a model number from a senior I went to gander mtn and picked up a pair with all the rain gear they had them in stock I sent them overnight
    amazon , bass proshops , and dick's were all 5-10 business days

the were "guides" full chest waders in neoprene, I am waiting for next year when each sophmore must have a boston whaler

Matty, I am an Orvis guide and get 35% off. Let me know, I can have them shipped directly to your door.

Most boot attached waders are used for very cold weather and duck hunting where you don't move around much. The attached boot is warmer, but IMO, bulkier and not as comfortable if you are moving around much.

The stocking foot waders are far more comfortable, but not quite as warm. They make special wading boots, from cheap ones that are just fine from Hodgeman to expensive from Patagonia and Orvis. Really, you can wear anything over the stocking foot, just go 2-3 sizes bigger. Tennis shoes, even sandles. The wading boots usually have a felt bottom or studs for traction on slippery rocks. Makes a huge difference.
    1979 Donzi Criterion
    1997 Classic 16
    2007 G3 w/ Yamaha 90 hp jet outboard
    Jackson Hole, WY
    www.jacksonholealltrans.com

Just my .02, which in this economy, is only worth .01, and actually is less than that since my original .02 isn't really worth .02.

matty,

i've gone both routes and prefer the stocking foot with the wading boots. for the Long Island Sound and it's coastline, I would strongly recommend the felt bottom boots. they offer surprisingly good traction on the rocks...

sean

thanks for the info guys

Thread Information