Thread: 1989 18 Classic

1989 18 Classic

I'm looking at an '89 18 classic with OMC engine, all original parts, everything in fair condition but working order. Anyone have an idea on a reasonable price, or any knowledge about his year/engine?
    Thanks.

My guess is it is a 351 and OMC Cobra drive. '88 was the year DONZI was no longer owned by OMC and went to American Marine Holdings. ( MERC )

This would be a boat at the end of the line prior to ownership change.

Rumor has it the OMC boats had HEAVY (good ) glasswork.

The drive(s) and powertrain are up to you. I would prefer a Chev motor product and Merc if it were me.

In My opinion only.

Donzi Racer Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    My guess is it is a 351 and OMC Cobra drive. '88 was the year DONZI was no longer owned by OMC and went to American Marine Holdings. ( MERC )

This would be a boat at the end of the line prior to ownership change.

Rumor has it the OMC boats had HEAVY (good ) glasswork.

The drive(s) and powertrain are up to you. I would prefer a Chev motor product and Merc if it were me.

In My opinion only.
    Lenny, I am finding that the 1988 & 1989 boats that we are finding, have a 460 & King Cobra for the big blocks but they have a 350 GM with a cobra drive for the small blocks. This is what we are seeing at least in the 18 footers and 20 foot Minx' anyway. I was definately on your side of the fence about the Merc and the GM preferrably but I will say that a 1989 22 with original 460 motor and King Cobra drive have really made an impression on me. Strong as you know what and 20 year old power & drive package is really unreal. So I owe an apoligy to a lot of OMC fans as far as that package goes. Now as far as the older cobra drives, I will keep that oppinion to myself which is very very Rare for me to DO!!!!! hahahahahahh Tom

Very good chance its got Ford power. My '92 18' was a 351/King Cobra combo.

Thread Information