Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1969 16 Ski Sporter

Very nice ski sporter with lots of original stuff, HM gauges, outdrive badge, and exhaust logs. The hour meter and stern light look to be the only things added or changed from the factory. IMO although it’s a unique color combination the interior does not appears to be original due to the snaps being installed backwards on the wrap around (snaps are outside and not underneath) however the single seat is original and shows that the boat was taken care of. They did not hold up very well and many were replaced after several years of use. As stated before it’s a 40 yeas old boat so look hard at day one parts that will need to be addressed and be prepared to turn a wrench and spend some cash on new parts.
    Good luck.

I would say judging by the way the tuck and roll pleats make the radius of the turn and the notch in the back seat for cover strut plus the general quality that is a replacement bilt rite interior and they send them with the snaps unistalled and the installer didn't know about the underneath part

nice looking boat

Great Example!

Very nice!

Just got back from the inspection of this boat...took alot of pics if anyone wants to see anything in particular. Looks like the tank is original. can't tell if it has been painted or not, I felt a difference between the blue deck stripe and the ORANGE (I thought it was red but is very orange). I'll post a few pics and will post them all if you would like. Lots of deep cracks on the deck, and bubbles, some large. Let me know what you would like to see and I'll post em.

Hour meter reads 715

In case you can't read the tag on back of seat:
    Hull No. C16-539
    Outdrive no. 2504181A
    Engine no. D9HM-3197-1-R/W

Tag in Engine compartment: (best I could tell)

D9HM-3 197-1-RW-I/0 A
    CPM-235-4V C6HM MB1
    CR 10.5:1 ???12Degrees

More pics...

Wow - that looks like some serious osmotic blistering. It looks much deeper than merely a deteriorating paint job - just my 2 cents, but think very seriously about how big of a cosmetic/resto project you want to tackle.

I agree with all of the above, very cool and looks all original.
    The gel resto just drives the price down, and gives you an opportunity to paint it a color scheme of your own choosing!
    Listen to Matty, the fuel tank is another pretty important restoration item.

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

That boat looks great! Don't let it get away!
    1970 18 2+3 Hull #18-355 H/M 351W Volvo 250
    07 Cayman IT IS BACK! - '13 Abarth Cabrio

PRESERVE, DON'T RESTORE

not a 289 it a 235hp 302 a common power plant for a 16 in 69 10.5 to 1 compression raw water cooled standard auto rotation 12 degree timing

mated to a 1.3 to 1 volvo penta aquamatic 250A propping that could be problematic that is a low ratio drive for a 235 hp motor

make sure the outdrive number on the foil tag matches the serial number on the top of the drive this looks like a numbers matching boat like my old 16 pretty cool

Thanks for the breakdown...Can you give me some more opinions on the boat? Does it look like it has been painted or re-gelled at some point? What about the glass damage, OK to run or will it just get worse? I'd really like to purchase this thing but don't want to get in too deep.

I only found the two tags, was there another that I missed somewhere? Does it look like the outdrive was changed at some point?

Talk to me about the propping issue.

Looks like there may have been a windshield on the boat at one time as well...

it looks like a paint job to me , hard to say the deck doesn't bother me i would be looking at the transom the bottom and the stringers, my 16 had a lot of spider cracks in the bottom but is still holding up. it is a 40 year old boat it will be in need of constant attention if you can do the basic stuff and monitor the condition of the boat, it will eventually need to be restored both mech and cosemetically

before i type a page on props on the top of the outdrive there is a metal tag it should match the foil tag

The hull and transom looked good. I didn't see any stringer problems. Do you think the paint is in the original colors or does it look like it has been changed? If you look at one of the pics above it shows blue under the cracked orange, what do you make of that? The interior of the boat is for sure original and not painted judgeing by the battery compartment and floor storage.

I didn't get any numbers off of the outdrive itself and have no picture of the top, just the underside. I'll add a pic here of one side of the hull.

sorry that didn't come out right, I meant it looked like it would need a paint job, judging from the chip in the foil tag with the same color behind it and paint cracks then peels ( i am not a real paint genious) right I mean the spider craks and the blister if it was paint would have peeled there no?

I would say it is gel if it is the original gel or not who knows, they did do special orders, there is a pink one out there somewhere, if the structural glass is ok and in that shape who cares if it is original gel or not the main thing would be the mech originality and the presence of all the hardware which it seems to be

Well, this boat is now on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi...rQ5fMotorboats

No, I didn't buy it and then throw it up for auction. In fact I was still hemming and hawing when I ran accross this auction. Kind of glad it's up...now I can bid what I think it's worth with no back and forth negotiating with the owner (If I decide to bid

Thanks for everyones help...very good group of guys here! I'll join the club one of these days.

Thread Information