Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1969 16 Ski Sporter

1969 16 Ski Sporter

Hello all,

New here to the forum, I am looking at a 1969 Donzi 16 that I would like opinions on.

It seems that the price range for these is 6500-10000 (having read around here) but would like to know what you all think. I am told it is an all original fresh water boat.

It is all red (hull and deck) with a blue stripe and blue interior. Holman Moody 289 with H/M outdrive and H/M plate on the gauges.

I am wondering if anyone has seen this color configuration before, I've searched and searched and can't find a reference either here or anywhere else online.

I'll try to post a pic...

Well, tried to post pic but am photobucket is blocked here at work. I can add a pic tonight when I am in the home office.

This would be my first Donzi after being away from boats for 10 years or so. Previous boat was a 1987 19ft. Sea Ray Pachanga.

Thanks for any advice...

-------The blue stripe and interior in combination with a red hull would be somewhat unusual. However,,,DONZI would build you any color or color combo boat you could dream up. I would expect this 16, if original, was an ordered boat by an end user, not a boat ordered on spec by some dealer. Check to see if the hull color and the deck stripe are original gell-coat. That would pretty much end the discussion.........Bill S

Bill
    pretty much summed it up, some words of caution a 69 would have a steel gas tank and it is at the end of it's life, look to see if the tank has been worked on or replaced that can also tell you how original it is. again not sure in mich if you are e-10 or not but if you are the e-10 is going to have a field day on 40 year old rubber.

if it is original it should have a h/m serial number on the bell housing I would be surprised if it is a 289 and not a 302 but the serial number will tell you that

Thanks guys...I think I'll go have a look at it this week. I've just been exchanging emails so far.

He did mention that the tilt doesn't work, not sure what the extent is but worse case what am I looking at?

Any added value due to the custom order? Fair price for this boat would be (assuming it is all original and needs the usual work)?

Welcome.

Where in Michigan? You can PM me if you like. I'm in Grand Rapids, and have a 1967 16 Ski-Sporter apart in my garage, if you would like to easily see what to look for. Here are a few pictures.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58186

If you are on the west side of the state, I would be happy to help you look over the boat. I believe I remember seeing the ad for a boat with this color combination some time ago.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by classicform View Post
    He did mention that the tilt doesn't work, not sure what the extent is but worse case what am I looking at?
    This vintage Volvo outdrive didn't have trim, only tilt. Trim would allow the outdrive to change angles while underway. Tilt is used for raising the outdrive to a trailering position. It is not for use when underway. Even the slightest throttle will force the outdrive to its lowest position.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

REgarding the Volvo tilt

I just bought a 16 ski sporter with the tilt taken out. A power steering system has been put in, however, I think there may be enough space to fit the tilt motor. I was wondering if anyone has the tilt drive and has dimensions on it? Also, does anyone have a tilt drive they want to sell. And I am curious if anyone has upgraded their early boat with a volvo to a merc outdrive?

Thanks,

Pictures of boat in question...

------You could probably count on one hand the number of 16ft. DONZIs that still have the original drivers seat, and that is one in this red 16. The seats were a weak design and the backs tended to fold backward when you leaned back too hard. It is very cool that the seat is still in good condition. I assumed that the deck was white with a blue stripe, but I find this combo really neat. On the face of it this boat looks to be very original. I even see the original shift knob!!! Would love to see pics of the motor. Do you know how many hours on the boat or motor???.........Bill S

Not sure of the hours...looking at a close up of the hour meter doesn't focus well enough.

Here are more pics.

in the second motor pic you can see the holman moody serial number tag get the numbers off it that will give you a time frame as will the numbers off the top of the drive

You should buy that boat....it's very original and AWESOME!!!!!!

1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Nice boat - all original looking hardware - looks like a survivor.
    If you want to check the original colour you may be able to do so wherever there are chunks or gouges out of the gel coat. The stern photo looks like there is a good spot to do so where the stripe meets the red deck colour.
    It looks like there was bottom paint on this boat at one point - but may just be an old waterline. Also, the deck looks like it has 'orange peel' or at least pitted or crazed gel coat and in one photo the engine hatch looks like there is a spot of delamination. All issues to be expected in a 40-year old boat.
    I agree with Superhatz...it is cool, buy it if the price is right...but get a certified marine inspection to be on the safeside. Good luck.

Thank you all for the help here.

I was told that there were 100s or 1000s of gel coat cracks, you have a keen eye Rob.
    I do think that what you are seeing as far as waterline/bottom paint is just a reflection of the asphalt. I think these boats sit a little deeper in the water for a water line and trailer boats don't get painted much around here in fresh water land. edit 070509...waterline it is.
    I'm thinking of taking a look at it this week...I'll take more pics and share if you guys are interested.

Looks awesome! Cool old Ski Sporter. Try to get a hull# when you see the boat. Whether or not the tank has been replaced will be a big factor in the price. Good luck.
    JL

Thread Information