Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 28 ZX planing

28 ZX planing

Finally got the boat out for a bit. Runs great, only had it up to about 50 MPH. ride is spectacular. handling is different than what I'm used to, azz end steers first and the bow follows... turns pretty flat compared to all the other V hulls I've ever driven. Not complaining, just stating the difference.

So... the down side. The boat SUCKS getting on plane. We had 3 adults in the main part of the boat, one in each front seat + my wife on the back bench. My wife was holding the 3 month old back there too. I also had my niece and daughter hanging out in the cabin.

Tabs down, trim in. Blew the props out the first try. Second try I finessed it up. took a while and seemed quite odd. It planed a LOT like my brother's 22 with the M+ and raised X dimension. One false move and you have to drop it down to idle and start over.

It was like that every time I tried. Boat has 6.2's, 23" Mirage + props, 1.65 drives. I swear these are the wrong props. Donzi says they are they are the right ones.

Any comments? ideas, etc?

Way it is...

You might try some Mirage 25's and see what happens, but I have never seen a 28 run in stock formation with anything other than three blades.

It is a finesse thing. No reason to be in a hurry. Get the tabs down and leave them down, until you are on plane. Same thing goes for the drives.
    Easy on the throttles and then roll her up on plane. A little tilt of the wheel helps with this last part.

And I would not have people riding in the bow or mid-cabin either. Great place to lounge on the hook, but the weight can't help.

As for the flat riding part, yep, they all do that too. Even a little wet in the rough.

mrfixxall Guest

mrfixxall

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    Finally got the boat out for a bit. Runs great, only had it up to about 50 MPH. ride is spectacular. handling is different than what I'm used to, azz end steers first and the bow follows... turns pretty flat compared to all the other V hulls I've ever driven. Not complaining, just stating the difference.

So... the down side. The boat SUCKS getting on plane. We had 3 adults in the main part of the boat, one in each front seat + my wife on the back bench. My wife was holding the 3 month old back there too. I also had my niece and daughter hanging out in the cabin.

Tabs down, trim in. Blew the props out the first try. Second try I finessed it up. took a while and seemed quite odd. It planed a LOT like my brother's 22 with the M+ and raised X dimension. One false move and you have to drop it down to idle and start over.

It was like that every time I tried. Boat has 6.2's, 23" Mirage + props, 1.65 drives. I swear these are the wrong props. Donzi says they are they are the right ones.

Any comments? ideas, etc?
    Are the props spinning inward? with the 1.65 ratio and the stepped hull it will blow the props out that boat needs a set of 4 blades..once your rockin and rollen the boat is ok rite!

a friend of mine has a stepped hull foumula and 1.65 ratio brives and with the mirage + props he can barely get on plane..1/4 tab drives in all the way and it does better..since then we put a set of bravo 4 plades and it pops up on plane..then we put a set of maximus 5 blad prop on the boat and it got even better we couldnt keep the boat on plane with the mirage + props upder 29mph, 25 mph with the 4 blade bravo and 20 with the maximus. if you can get ahold of a set of maximus props you will notice a big differance not only on how fast it planes off but he uses 1/2 the fuel also with the props.

contact truiser,he may have some input because he has the same problem..

Too much tab is like having a piece of plywood screwed to your transm holding back water

My initial response is too much tab. My boat will plane is smooth water with the tabs fully up. In rougher water, i usually have them set at a 2 setting. I'm running the standard 23's.

When I ran too much tab I had the same problem. I hope this helps.

Ok... so too much tab could hurt, and different props. I know I can prop test later for sure... I'll try lifting the tabs next weekend and see how that does.

I was wondering if dropping the tabs might hurt this setup, that might be it.

And, I was not in a hurry... it was a long plane time. longer than an express cruiser or sport fish. It's like the props had no bit whatsoever.

mrfixxall Guest

mrfixxall

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    Ok... so too much tab could hurt, and different props. I know I can prop test later for sure.
    I was wondering if dropping the tabs might hurt this setup, that might be it.

Vette the maximus props are wicked,not the fastest (3mph slower)but hold the boat alot better then the 3 blades and fuel cost is half

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
    My initial response is too much tab. My boat will plane is smooth water with the tabs fully up. In rougher water, i usually have them set at a 2 setting. I'm running the standard 23's.

When I ran too much tab I had the same problem. I hope this helps.
    Yep
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Alrighty... tabs up this weekend. We'll see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtrip se View Post
    You might try some Mirage 25's and see what happens, but I have never seen a 28 run in stock formation with anything other than three blades.

It is a finesse thing. No reason to be in a hurry. Get the tabs down and leave them down, until you are on plane. Same thing goes for the drives.
    Easy on the throttles and then roll her up on plane. A little tilt of the wheel helps with this last part.

And I would not have people riding in the bow or mid-cabin either. Great place to lounge on the hook, but the weight can't help.

As for the flat riding part, yep, they all do that too. Even a little wet in the rough.
    Putting a set of 25 Mirage will make it worse. Why did they use 1.65 drives? I agree no tab or very little. In calm water I don't have any issues getting on plane. Rough water is pain...I should have more info in a couple of weeks.

very low RPM will help.
    Turning the boat hard back and forth will also help.
    People forward should also help.
    I never had luck with the tabs down.

I plan on trying some 4 blades soon.

Seat time is needed.

Good luck
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Leave the tabs alone...

Oaky, I stand corrected. Every Fountain I had ran the way I described, but a ZX isn't a Fountain. Okay, then.

Back to the Classic, where I belong.

Good luck with the boat Vette.

Get rid of the 1.65 gears, see if Donzi will cover it. With 640 hp, you shouldn't need them. Next, since you are blowing out the props, time for some propping after the gear change. Gear change might help a bunch too.......
    1979 Donzi Criterion
    1997 Classic 16
    2007 G3 w/ Yamaha 90 hp jet outboard
    Jackson Hole, WY
    www.jacksonholealltrans.com

Just my .02, which in this economy, is only worth .01, and actually is less than that since my original .02 isn't really worth .02.

I would leave it alone for now, learn to coax her on plane and she how see runs, think about it with the tabs you are forcing the nose down then the back comes up , the back is already sucking in air with the steps the higher the back goes the more air is in there less water for the props to grab.

I would not change gears until I saw how the top end and rpms are with what you have, I am of the school it is easier to prop up then gear down and prop down

love the colors on that boat good luck with it

i'd run the 1.65's with 4 blades and call it good
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

every boat is different and every driver is different. i can put my 33' scarab (stepped) on plane at 2500 rpm. tabs down and drives in. i ease into her at 500 rpm increments. once the nose starts to come down the tabs go neutral and the drives go out and i can feel her launch herself. no hole shot here.
    lots of seat time is the only way.
    the other 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Trueser View Post
    Why did they use 1.65 drives?
    I believe this is a standard with the 6.2's, and if I understand it correctly, Deric (ShowNGoH2O) has had problems with the 1.65 gear ratio paired with the 6.2's. Check with him for more on that one.

I am of the consensus to not use much tab when coming out of the hole. Granted, I have K-planes whereas it looks like you have the twin ram bennetts, but my setting is between 2 and 3, drives all the way down and I don't start trimming up until I am just cresting plane. One other thing, I don't ease into the throttle, it is full steam ahead and right now, no feathering with me. I also don't have to turn my steering wheel or anything like that. My props are also the stock 23P's. If I try to take off with the drives not all the way down, I will cavitate just before approaching plane. And I don't play with the tabs unless I have more weight on one side of the boat, wanna go fast as possible, or just wanna cruise on plane and not stare at the bow while doing so. One other thing, I also only have the twin 350 mags.

Hope all works well, Unconquered is beautiful,

tom
    2002 28ZX

Thread Information