Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Fino

That boat is beautiful! "BELLA FINO"
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Bill she looks GREAT, and the weather for Sat looks better all the time !!!!

Bravo Bill, You did it!

So glad to see when things finally work out Bill. I bet Mr. Yadvish and his guys can give a little advice on how to best set up the steering etc. Delighted You finally got her. She's such a gem! Posting a few shots of the 1973 at The Ozarks (has 2x440 Chrysler originals') and a shot of the first modern one made, model year 2000 (has 2x496's), that Yadvish built. It travelled the country to several boat shows and finally, in the late summer of 2007, sold after a last listed asking price of $139,000, then at Lake Collins, Colorado with hardly any hours on her. It was sold using the factory rep. as contact, but listed by a FL broker, that low even though list price had originally been upper $300's. Amazing deal! Bobby Rautbord would be happy to know that his creation is still so admired though. I would say he must have been a passionate boater, if I don't recall wrong he was only 12 years old or so when he took his father's 1930's Garwood out and ended up having to go to court after running over a swimmer in the river he was speeding on. The Judge must have been psychic and proberly realized the kid was a future Offshore Racing World Champ to be, so Bobby got away with a warning!

Cheers, Lars.

P.S. How about 'Fino In Fondo' ('All The Way') for a name? D.S.

Northcoast Yachts
    401 Alexander Avenue
    Suite 407
    Tacoma, WA 98421
    Stephen Yadvish
    Direct 206-953-9030
    Office 206-623-3233
    Last edited by lars; 06-20-2009 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Time of sale facts.
    LARS THE SWEDE

------Thanks Lars,,,The 440 Chryslers were the standard power. I have watched that Chrysler powered boat for several years. It has been listed by many different brokers and no one seems to be able to get the job done. It makes you wonder about that particular boat. Butch Stokes, one of the original riggers, told me that they werent thrilled with the 440 boats. The feeling was that the 440s were sort of cheaply converted. He also told me that all the Chevy powered boats that he rigged were Merc 496s, and I think he said a few bigger cubed Mercs. Not the current 496s obviously, but stroker race motors slightly de-tuned. He said they were wicked expensive.
    ------The Yadfish guys came down to Florida and looked over my boat very closely several years ago after they built that first boat as they seemed to have some performance problems initially. They felt that my boat was the best sorted out Fino around. Thats a tribute to Mike, the great guy I bought the boat from. His attention to detail is very noticeable when you look over this boat. Im proud that he chose to sell to me as there were others at the last minute trying to squeeze themselves in the middle.
    ------I had never heard that story about Bobby R. Very unfortunate!........Bill S

Rautbord and Fino trivia...

This bit of info. was sent to me by a fellow Gentleman, Butch, who was very much involved with the Legends endevours those days. He later moved next to several of these Boating Legends, when they got themselves retirement properties around Aspen, CO. Magoon retired there too. Butch opened an Independent Porsche Shop that he now has had for more than 30 years.

I quote;

"The boat was designed by Walt Walters, with much input from Bobby. It was his dream boat..He did keep one for himself for a while with outdrive's.
    then he moved to Aspen where he died a few years later..His house was between Jill St John's and John Denver's..He and Aronow and Bob Magoon were best friends..Bobby had a tennis court at his house and they all played there almost every day...One year, at the Chicago Boat Show, Bobby and I were sitting in the boat talking, and he told me he was buying a Jet Ranger. wanted a unique color..I offered lime green and black..he loved it..After
    delivery, Don liked it so much he had to buy one also..
    I don't remember any shortcomings about the boat..we even ran Bobby's personal boat in the Bahamas 500 one year..the boat ran fine, but one of the
    engines lost a pushrod and we finished at 1 am..with Magoon clapping on the dock for us..the last boat to finish.."

The Fino project was a pet project for Bobby and money was no object.

Lars.
    Last edited by lars; 06-20-2009 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Wording...
    LARS THE SWEDE

------Thanks for the extra input, Lars. Man, you are up early!!!.........Bill S

Midsummer malaise?

We Vikings are supposed to have a little insomnia around midsummer!
    LARS THE SWEDE

Bill, Very nice talking to you at the reunion today, Your El Pescador looks great. Hope to see you soon in the fino.

Take care Chris

great looking boat. great pick, my next boat for sure.
    the scooter

Lars:

The "Butch" that you are referring to in the previous post - is that Butch Stokes from Fort Lauderdale? I think I spoke with him on OSO (lilabner) a while back and I wanted to get in touch with him again.

Can you PM me with an email address for him? If I remember correctly, he told me his son was the foremost 928 expert in the world, and still in South Florida. I have an '82 928S that needs a little love, and a '95 993 Cabriolet that needs regular servicing. But I don't trust anyone to touch my babies!

Thanks!

Harry

Finally did it, huh?

I had heard about this dream shortly after arriving in Michigan in the summer of 2003...

Good to see you realize it Bill.

-------Thanks, Todd!!! It took me awhile to find a decent one. Congrats to your better half as well for her new job.........Bill S

Bill [olredalert] Thanks for coming to the reunion. The weather my have stoped some from coming, but not the REAL OLD SCHOOL BOATERS..
    Attached Images Attached Images

------I will have the Fino in the Algonac Boat Show this Saturday, Smidge. Ill have a cold one waiting for you if you make it up. Or, actually, anyone else from the sight that happens to be in the area. I would be willing to bet you wont go to many boat shows with two Finos in one show. The maroon one I showed you is entered as well. I would be second if I was being judged, for sure.
    ------That Chris was pretty neat but just a bit strange with the Metal-Flake paint job. Your floater was really nice, buy the way!!!.........Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    ------Your floater was really nice, buy the way!!!.........Bill S

Hmmm, do we even want to go there?

(someone HAD to comment, figured it might as well be me!)

Thread Information