Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Fino

Bill,, dont you have some more trees to plant & a fish pond to stock for Jan ?

The interior please.

Bill, can we see the interior please. PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks in advance.

Looking GREAT, Bill. Well done! I'd love to see some photos of the interior, too. Your request for a closeup of my steering wheel makes me suspect you're hiding some things from us ...

Did you change out your rudders? They are definitely different than mine, and appear larger. If so, I imagine that's an improvement.

Do you take requests for pictures? If so, can you snap one of the light mast on the front windshield?

Last question: in an earlier post you mention a "Lotto Fino" that was recently sold. Which one is that?

Sean (YVR)

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Adam,

Check my posts on this thread between August - November 2010. I posted some pictures and notes about the six Finos I checked out that summer, including the one in Chicago (which is really, really rough).

Sean (YVR)

----Hi Sean,,,Bet you are about to get that freshly powered Fino wet about now, Huh??? I ened up getting a couple of pics in a roundabout way from Haxbys and the engines look great and should definetly do the job. Wondering what you did about the V-drives? How about props? I got some new 4-blades and cant, at the moment remember the brand name. They are made here in Mi. and Bill Smith (of Henry H Smith Propellors) says they will make an unbelieveable difference. He said hes sold 50 sets of them this spring so far. E-mail me your address as I still have something here for you.

----LOTO is "Lake of the Ozarks". That boat left LOTO and soon will reside in a new home. Hopefully, when the new owner is ready he will tell us all about it.

----I will get some pics of the interior today, probably. Its been covered for so long Ive forgotten what the teak looks like. No real surprizes on the steering wheel. I did find a new Nardi wheel that looks very similar to the originals but a somewhat smaller diameter, and I had the original center cap. Rudders approximate the ones that were on the boat that had been badly repaired sometime in the past. Now they are stainless. Dipped the Fino in the water two days ago to check for minor leaks and found two that have already been corrected.......Bill S

Here are the latest pic's of Bill's Fino interior.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Too cool !!

luxurious, what more do I have to say.

Fino

I just took delivery of the Fino that was located in the Ozarks. Thanks for the information several of you provided me when I was looking at the boat. She seems to be in mostly original condition. Need to sort out a couple of things before taking it out on the water for the first time. Everything seems to be pretty much in working order. Next step is to decide if I should do a full resto, or just enjoy the boat for the summer.

Adam

Where are you going to run your Fino?

Hi Adam, where do you live?
    Bert
    And, did it come with a trailer?

Fino

We live in Napa CA. Yes it came with a trailer, only problem is its a gooseneck trailer, but probably the best set-up for towing. We will use the boat in lake Tahoe and around Northern Ca.

Hi Adam - alwasy good to have another local NorCal guy on the board. I'll be keeping an eye out for you; can't be many Finos around these parts!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Fino Questions

What is the best way to access weather the boat has an issue with the stringers? What would the group consider to be the ideal powertrain set-up for the Fino?

Adam

----Knocking on the stringers with a hammer is one of the ways I have always heard about. Hollow sound = no good! On the other hand, the fiberglass over the wood stringers on an original Fino is so thick who knows weather that will work or not. I suppose you could go to the extreme of drilling a few holes and then patching them if all is well. I am now to the stage where I figure that all the original Finos have stringer problems of one sort or another. I have also figured out that even if the stringer wood is soft, the glass is so thick that the wood may not need to be replaced anywhere other than the engine compartment and only there because of bolting in stuff like the motor mounts, etc.
    ----Finos were never designed to be speed demons. High style cruising is closer to thier intended use as far as I am concerned. If you read any of the original magazine articles about them you see a common thread that they are good for a maximum of right around 50, maybe 50+. With that said, I dont see much sense in overpowering them. Its the RPM at cruising speed thats probably more important. That does require a good bit of torque and correct selection of props. Im close to thinking that I have accomplished that, but since my new "Michigan Motorz" 454/385 hp engines are still at about 4 hours running time I havent pushed them to any extremes. M/M had two 454s to pick from and frankly, I would have picked the 330s (monetarily) but the 385s had much better internals (better cranks, pistons etc.). Id be the first to say that built 502s would be cool, but if you are only cruising around at 35-40mph it didnt seem necessary in my particular instance. I love my new 4-blade 17 inch dia. props as the boat just pops up on plane. Much better than the old 3-blades. Seems to run flatter as well. Cant wait to pour a bit of power on!!!
    ----the V-drives enter into the equation too as the Walters V-drives installed on all the original Finos are quite noisy. My boat had already been switched to Crusaders and they seem great, but since they arent produced any longer maybe Merc units would work. Sean may have some input on that as I believe he just updated his V-drives along with his power.
    ----Hope this helps, Adam........Bill S

I am new to this thread but have been reading throughit all with interest

Bill your Fino is absolutely stunning.

I have just acquired a Fino 30 for a decent price and about to carry out the restoration.

It has a history but the price and deals was right!

I can so no mention of her on this forum though, she is currently dark red and white, it's been North and back to Florida where she is now.

I have a couple of questions, firstly I haven't had the chance to turn the motors, can some one tell Me if she is counter rotation?

She currently has the crusaders in with 70 hours but I am swapping out for Mpi units- much prefer injection!

The motors are good with only 70hrs and I will be selling them.

Looking into stringers this week.......... I see no sign of rot but time will tell!

Bill would it be to call you for a chat one evening for a little advice? It would be appreciated.

Will post pictures later this week.

I feel honored to own a Fino, highlight of a lifetime!!

Dale

----Dale,,,Verrrry interesting!!! Call me anytime in the evening at 810-420-0431 and we can talk "Fino". Im really interested in what serial # your new aquisition is.

----Every Fino V-drive was counter rotation from the factory. Im not sure what yours would be now but feel sure it is probably still in that configuration........Bill S

Thread Information