Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fino

Fino

-------Bought another money pit late last week in FLA. I have wanted a Fino since the very first one I saw back in 1970 at the Magnum factory. A Fino is the epitome of absolute cool to me, and I think I managed to find the best one available for any sort of reasonable cost. There were a couple of cheaper ones out there but they needed everything and trying to be somewhat intelligent (hard, Ill admit) I figured I wouldnt live long enough to do a resto as these boats are incredibly complex. This boat is unbelieveably well sorted out and Ill have it in the water here in Mi. by early next week. Cant wait!!!!
    -------Poodle, very kindly, will get around to posting a pic as soon as he has a spare moment..........Bill S
    Last edited by MadPoodle; 06-11-2009 at 04:15 AM.

SWEET!! I've only seen 2 and it's one of my top 5 dream boats. Can I ask where you got it? Was it the white/brown one on the lake out in Missouri or whatever? FL? Seatlle? I've been watching a couple of them for a few years.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Bill is it like the one we looked at, they are cool boats. There are some deals out there, you just can't have too many boats.Are you bringing her to the Old School II reunion ?

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    -------Bought another money pit late last week in FLA. I have wanted a Fino since the very first one I saw back in 1970 at the Magnum factory. A Fino is the epitome of absolute cool to me, and I think I managed to find the best one available for any sort of reasonable cost. There were a couple of cheaper ones out there but they needed everything and trying to be somewhat intelligent (hard, Ill admit) I figured I wouldnt live long enough to do a resto as these boats are incredibly complex. This boat is unbelieveably well sorted out and Ill have it in the water here in Mi. by early next week. Cant wait!!!!
    -------Poodle, very kindly, will get around to posting a pic as soon as he has a spare moment..........Bill S

------It was the red one available in Fla., and I will hopefully be bringing it over to the reunion with as many friends as I can jam on board!!! Give me a call, Mark, if you are up for it. Ill need al the help I can get. Theres a bit of a learning curve that will be necessary on this one. Its the only red one I have come across but the former owner says there was one other one. Then he took me about a mile from his shop and showed me another maroon one that was originally rigged with twin TRS set-ups. It was supposedly built for Magnum owner, Fino originator, and offshore racer Bobby Rautbord, but is now just a stripped out hull, unfortunatly.......Bill S

Bill,
    That is very cool. I will look forward to seeing some pictures. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

the factory address on the flyer is about 20' from my desk....
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

-----Wouldnt that "Catalog Boat" be cool, but I dont think so. That boat has only two exhaust pipes and mine has always had two per side according to the seller. I think all the later boats had four and it makes sense that the catalog pic would be no.1 or at the least very early in production.
    -----Thanks for putting up the pics, Scott. Do you have a catalog??? I have a color copy but thats it. I saw one for sale on a website last year and have to go find the sight again.
    -----Didnt we talk about that address before, Jim??? Fast boat history is so thick around you guys. Im sorry I didnt get over to see you but things got a bit hectic up in Lighthouse Point, and then the "great one" was home after all. As you no doubt know, it was a bit hectic around his place as well. Scott, hope you and Heidi got some shut-eye after things quieted down. Never a dull day (or night) in Coral Gables!!!.....Bill S

That is one cool looking boat!

I'm not familiar with Fino. If I saw one without badging, I'd have assumed Riva.

What's the history behind the brand/model?

And what are the specs on the boat?

People need to know these things!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

------The original Finos (app. 30 built by Rautbord) were built between 1969 and 1975. A little more than half of them were built in the Magnum factory which the Rautbords owned thru "Apeco" and the rest were I believe built next door to Jim (Buizilla) off-site. Mine is probably one of the off-site ones. After the run was over the molds apparently got to somewhere in Texas, and finally ended up in Washington. The current owners will build you one for around $400,000 (Yikes)!!! Bobby did some amount of consultation with Don A, and I believe Brownie had at least some, possibly more than some, hands-on experience. 30 ft long by 9'3" beam. Twin 454s (now, originally 427s) with Crusader V-drives. I saw close to 55mph out of it the other day but it probably wont be up there too much. 9000lbs and an excellent hull design so its a wave crusher. Strakes are very reminiscent of Bertram raceboats from the era, but the design had no connections to Bertram, I am told............Bill S

Very nice, Hope to see it at the reunion.

Chris

------The original Finos (app. 30 built by Rautbord) were built between 1969 and 1975. A little more than half of them were built in the Magnum factory which the Rautbords owned thru "Apeco" and the rest were I believe built next door to Jim (Buizilla) off-site. Mine is probably one of the off-site ones. After the run was over the molds apparently got to somewhere in Texas, and finally ended up in Washington. The current owners will build you one for around $400,000 (Yikes)!!! Bobby did some amount of consultation with Don A, and I believe Brownie had at least some, possibly more than some, hands-on experience. 30 ft long by 9'3" beam. Twin 454s (now, originally 427s) with Crusader V-drives. I saw close to 55mph out of it the other day but it probably wont be up there too much. 9000lbs and an excellent hull design so its a wave crusher. Strakes are very reminiscent of Bertram raceboats from the era, but the design had no connections to Bertram, I am told............Bill S
    Bill,
    Wasn't there one on Ebay within the past year that never met the reserve price? It was red. Is that the boat you bought? Just curious, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

------Yup Bill,,,Thats the one. I have been in negotiations with the seller since then. He had a hard time giving it up as it was his and his wifes favorite boat. I just remembered that Walt Walters was the original designer.........Bill S

------Yup Bill,,,Thats the one. I have been in negotiations with the seller since then. He had a hard time giving it up as it was his and his wifes favorite boat. I just remembered that Walt Walters was the original designer.........Bill S
    Wow! That boat is absolutely georgeous when I think about the good pictures in the Ebay ad. Congratulations on a lifetime dream boat - at least in my book. I remember how much I was drooling at the lines, appointments, and finish on it. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Nice boat Bill, I am sure you will enjoy it.. J

Fino

I had a White 73' with the 427 Mercs, bought it in 1980 from a guy in Annapolis Md.The boat was in the 1973 New York boat show and I was told it was the very last one built and it was #28.There is a picture posted on OSO of the Magnum plant in 73' from the opposite side of the canal and in the background you can see a white Fino on a shipping cradle along with another blue one in the water.The boat is still around the Annapolis area.

Thread Information