Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fino

Smile

Best of luck Bill, great boat and a great thread loads of great info. I have been lurking and enjoying
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    ------Scott,,,Mr.Bill just seemed so right !!! Funny part is that not a whole lot of people remember the skits. Im already sick and tired of splainin. A guy started talking to me about the Fino at this show and then disappeared for about 20 minutes and came back with a stuffed Mr.Bill and gave him to me. I now have a new mascot ........Bill S
    Witch one is the stuffed Mr Bill ????????

I think these Finos are absolutely beautiful, and I'm thinking seriously about taking the plunge if I can find the right one.

There are a few for sale right now, including the brown one in the Lake of the Ozarks and a red one in the Chicago area. I'd love to get a better sense of the condition and integrity of these particular boats before investing in a $$$ road trip to check them out. Has anyone on the boards seen either of these two boats in person, or know someone who has? The fact that the brown one seems to have been for sale for many years is somewhat concerning... Any help would be appreciated! Sean

Also, if anyone has Bill (olredalert)'s email address or some other means of contacting him I would love to ask him some questions about his Fino. Please PM me. Many thanks, Sean

WOW. What a beauty! Congratulations Bill, she looks to be in great shape. I had only seen a couple pics of finos before and didnt know all their history. Is there a v-berth forward?

Marshall

V-berth and enough room for nice company.

Brochure photos from earlier link and a couple of a 1973.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost...0&postcount=18
    LARS THE SWEDE

Fino update?

I have enjoyed this thread immensly. As for many on this board, it would be my dream to someday own a Fino. Call me crazy, but I believe I have seen a Fino with surface piercing drives. Arnesons by chance? Does this seem possible or did someone do a modification and add that style of drive?

Fino Update

Hi 72Hornet,

Can't assist on your question about surface piercing drives, but I have some updates to the thread.

Over the past several months I've been pursuing the purchase of a Fino, and have been out to see all six that I know to be for sale.
    As of yesterday, I reached a deal(!) on a beautifully restored Claret Red 1970 Fino currently located on Lake St. Clair in Detroit (to build some suspense, I will return to that below...).
    Also, I should first note that I have amassed a bunch of information and pictures (much more than I will clog this thread with) but if anyone wants more information about any of the boats I've seen, please feel free to email me (I don't check PMs on this board) and I will be happy to share whatever else I can.
    The following posts are a summary of what I've seen in my travels.

1. Red 1970 Fino in Chicago: Currently listed for sale by Pier 11 Marina in Chicago and advertised on yachtworld.com. Owner is renown octogenarian drag racer Chris "The Golden Greek" Karamasines. Chrysler 440s (bored and stroked to 496s by Chris' mechanics). This boat is in rough shape, despite what the broker selling it might tell you. (Unfortunately it cost me a visit to Chicago to find this out). It is really only a candidate for a full-on restoration:

Pics attached:

2. The "Anahita III", a brown 1973 Fino currently located at Lake of the Ozarks: This boat, as noted in other posts, has been for sale for some time. (I looked in the broker's folder and it has been listed on and off by different brokers since 2001, listed as high as $119k).
    This boat is the most original Fino I saw, is in nice condition and has been very carefully maintained. It has spent its entire life in fresh water, and the last 20 years on a covered lift.
    I am told it was on the floor at the 1972 Miami boat show, where it was purchased by a very wealthy individual and delivered directly to the Lake of the Ozarks. In the late 1980's it was having some extensive repair work at a marina, when the owner (having fallen on hard times) ran out of money and was unable to complete the work. The current owner came along, fell in love with the boat and purchased it. He has owned it ever since.
    In or around that time (89-91 or thereabouts) he completed some extensive work, which included having the drives pulled and sent to Walter to be rebuilt, the motors pulled and rebuilt, the vee-berth was redone, wood refinished, etc.
    The fuel tanks were also replaced (they are saddle tanks, laid on top of one another), which on these boats requires taking up the floor. I spoke to the mechanic that did this work, and he said that the tanks were surrounded by foam which trapped moisture against them, causing the corrosion. Something to watch for if you're looking at these boats.
    This boat has never been repainted (other than a small hull repair) and has, among other things, its original interior (though this has deteriorated somewhat, one of the few significant faults on this boat) the original steering wheel, original gauges (though the original push-button transmission controls have been replaced with Morse controls), original canvas, even the original burgee!
    This boat also has the rare bimini well with snap on cover that is discussed in other threads. It also has some relatively minor bubbling in the foredeck, which was common to several of the boats I saw.
    There are numerous pics of this boat online, but here are a few I snapped in person (plus a nice sideview pic the seller provided to me):

A few more pics of the Ozarks Fino...

And here's a May, 1970 Motor Boating magazine article on the Fino that I don't think has been posted elsewhere on this site....

Thumbs up Looking forward to the full report Sean

Impressive to see that You touched all six available for sale Sean. We Donzi fans end up talking about Don Aronow's good friend Bobby Rautbord's Fino creation at every possible opportunity.I'm a sucker for the Fino design and now have great expectations to read about Your buying adventure and see Your new beauty.
    LARS THE SWEDE

Hi Lars (and others),

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread- life sometimes has a way of interfering! Not to mention that much of this week has also been spent dealing with the new Fino, trying to orchestrate a trailer purchase, coordinate some minor repairs, get it prep'd for shipping, arrange transportation, insurance, etc. - all from 2,500 miles away...

Anyway, the next boat I saw was the so-called 1975 that is currently for sale in Seattle: http://www.crowsnestyachts.com/listi...bout-1975.html.

The current owner is a boat broker. Although I'm not aware of any Fino being made after 1973, he advised he believes it's a 1975 because that is what's on the title. This Fino has had a considerable amount of work performed on it, primarily in the mid-1990s. Unfortunately, it was only about 80-90% completed, and isn't quite sorted out. It's been re-powered with Merc 454s, but I immediately noticed that for some reason the motors were mounted further forward than in other Finos. The owner advised that it does ride a bit bow-heavy, and that he's considered relocating the batteries aft of the motors to try to adjust the trim. The hull has been repainted a nice blue, and the deck a slightly-off white. There is some extensive teak work that has been done (but not finished), particularly in the forward berth as well as the entire gunwale (also replaced with teak). The dash and steering wheel have been replaced- the latter being an unfortunate "upgrade", because the original wood and chrome Fino steering wheels look better than any of the replacements I saw. The windshield is also a fabricated replacement (apparently very expensive), but which doesn't quite fit right. Pretty nice looking overall, but this boat will need a fair amount of fussing over to get it sorted out.

Apparently this boat has spent some time at Lake Tahoe as well, along with one of Yadvish's reproductions.

Yadvish Fino #1

A few weeks later, I returned to Seattle to see both of the Yadvish (Northcoast Yacht) reproductions. Overall, I was quite impressed with both the quality and the faithfulness to the original design.

The first one, pictured below moored on Lake Union, was completed in or around 2000. Fit and finish was very good overall, and looked very nice for a 10 year old boat. If I had to fault it, I would say the windshield, although it scores points for being both burly and real glass, maybe looks a little too modern for my taste. There was also some areas at the base of the windshield where the fit wasn't precise. Not a huge problem, but for the kind of money being asked for these boats I expected perfection, or close to it. I also think the round deck vents on the original Finos look good, in addition to being functional. These were deleted on Yadvish's boats for some reason. And of course the original Fino siren, though copied to a certain extent, is sorely missed.

This boat is powered by 496s, and is running Walter vee-drives in the same configuration as the original Finos.

Pics of 2000 Yadvish Fino

Pics below

Thread Information