Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hooks and Rocker and Blueprinting and Sharpening??

Hooks and Rocker and Blueprinting and Sharpening??

Ok fiberglass guys.... I posted about this on my 25 ZX thread but not everybody reads that anymore.....I am getting new tabs and moving the location that the new tabs are mounted....

I need to know your thoughts on blueprinting...sharpening....adding a little rocker to the pad.....cutting the last 2 feet of lifting strake off. This would all have to be done with the boat right side up. I have been warned that I may be starting another all summer project if I do this...I need to know how long it would take a professional shop to do this work...how much benefit you would think that I would get from it and any other helpful information that you can give me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keep in mind at the speed you're going, air resistance may be one of the bigger obstacles.
    What would you do about that?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I don't think that there is anything that I can do about air.....you ARE way smarter than I am though..did you have something in mind??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would imagine that you have gone over the hull with a straight edge. If it is straight, Donzi told that sharpening the edges will make it handle a little more crisp.

Those tabs may get you a little more bow lift since they are rockered. I would see how it responds to that. If it likes that, you can always go for some more bottom mods and start working for the 120 mph mark.

For the aero stuff. You could always start with a radar arch and start working on the whole lift concept. I would suggest checking out some of the stuff that Buzzi has done on that subject. Another pioneer in the aero field is Baja (and no, I am not kidding.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    I would imagine that you have gone over the hull with a straight edge. If it is straight, Donzi told that sharpening the edges will make it handle a little more crisp.

Those tabs may get you a little more bow lift since they are rockered. I would see how it responds to that. If it likes that, you can always go for some more bottom mods and start working for the 120 mph mark.

For the aero stuff. You could always start with a radar arch and start working on the whole lift concept. I would suggest checking out some of the stuff that Buzzi has done on that subject. Another pioneer in the aero field is Baja (and no, I am not kidding.

How long did it take to get your glass work for your tabs? It is 110 not 120!! Did you run your boat with the new tabs this weekend? 5 blade? You need to borrow my prop and see how it does for you!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
    I don't think that there is anything that I can do about air.....you ARE way smarter than I am though..did you have something in mind??
    You could cover up the cockpit, that big hole in the deck doesn't help any......Your boat has a lot of frontal area and it'll never get any smaller.
    You have probably reached the end of the line.....you know...approaching infinity where the cost go up even more exponentially than they already have.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    You could cover up the cockpit, that big hole in the deck doesn't help any......Your boat has a lot of frontal area and it'll never get any smaller.
    You have probably reached the end of the line.....you know...approaching infinity where the cost go up even more exponentially than they already have.

You are right George!! I don't think that I am ready for an enclosed canopy yet!! I was just thinking about doing some stuff that I have been wanting to do for some time while I am at the glass shop!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

How long did it take to get your glass work for your tabs? It is 110 not 120!! Did you run your boat with the new tabs this weekend? 5 blade? You need to borrow my prop and see how it does for you!!
    I was going to run it today but I spent the day chasing an electrical gremlin. Other than a wires that needed tightening, I discovered that my head unit was causing my amp to go into protection mode. Oh well, by tomorrow is will be done with hooking up two amps and a new head unit. It should sound good but it won't out pimp Fishin Sucks.

The glass work was done in three days.

I may try a 5 blade at AOTH. I dunno as my group has now increased to 5 people so the Hedge will have to be the entertainment coordinator. I am glad that Tex got us those big rooms.

I don't think you need any rocker...Rocker is built into most 30'+ boats because they are so Big, Long,& Heavy thats the only way to get the nose up. Your boat isn't that long and adding rocker may cause you a porposing that you cant get rid of with trim or tabs. and if you can crack 100mph you don't need any, actually your at the point you don't want the nose up in the air anymore.

Now for removing the aft strakes, depending on how the hull is built, allot of the glass work may happen inside the boat (or it may not) but the glassman should let you know BEFORE he does it!!!! they are probably helping now more than hurting.

I think your at the point of trying different props and spacers to get all you can from what you got... If your bored out there take up online poker, leave your Kickazz boat (hull) alone....
    WTF, Over.....WTF, 10-4.....

You are right George!! I don't think that I am ready for an enclosed canopy yet!! I was just thinking about doing some stuff that I have been wanting to do for some time while I am at the glass shop!!
    He is right about the hole. See if you can find a pick of Damn Donzi. It was a F-1 racing boat that used the 27ZX hull. They had a cool looking fairing over the back seat area. A removeable fairing would really clean up the aerodynamics while preserving the ability to do some family boating.

Quote Originally Posted by BlownCrewCab View Post
    I don't think you need any rocker...Rocker is built into most 30'+ boats because they are so Big, Long,& Heavy thats the only way to get the nose up. Your boat isn't that long and adding rocker may cause you a porposing that you cant get rid of with trim or tabs. and if you can crack 100mph you don't need any, actually your at the point you don't want the nose up in the air anymore.

Now for removing the aft strakes, depending on how the hull is built, allot of the glass work may happen inside the boat (or it may not) but the glassman should let you know BEFORE he does it!!!! they are probably helping now more than hurting.

I think your at the point of trying different props and spacers to get all you can from what you got... If your bored out there take up online poker, leave your Kickazz boat (hull) alone....

I almost fell out of my chair when I read that last thing about online poker!!! The spacer hurt me so it is coming out. I think the prop is going to be better and I think that the tabs are going to help too. You and Tex and HedgeHog and Buiz have convinced me!!! I will leave the bottom alone!! You don't know how much fun it was beating up on those bass boats the other day!! Maybe I can get you to go to Possum Kingdom or Eufaula with me this year!! I am going to try to make one of the events for sure!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    He is right about the hole. See if you can find a pick of Damn Donzi. It was a F-1 racing boat that used the 27ZX hull. They had a cool looking fairing over the back seat area. A removeable fairing would really clean up the aerodynamics while preserving the ability to do some family boating.

Post a picture..I don't know what you are talking about!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post a picture..I don't know what you are talking about!!!
    think 64 T-bird Roadster
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Why not just get a convertible soft top canopy made for it?? Then I could air condition it!! Great..you guys are really on to something..BTW...I am not working offshore anymore so I have not gone that crazy!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    think 64 T-bird Roadster

Beautiful......

"America is all about Speed - Hot, Nasty Bad-Ass Speed .~"Eleanor Roosevelt
    1995 22C HP500EFI

Mr. Jr. Stocker...always Stock...always..

Thread Information