Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1964 Donzi "Sweet 16"

1964 Donzi "Sweet 16"

This boat was part of a collection, and now for sale. An amazing perfectly running, reliable, classic Donzi. Perfect for Donzi or classic boat enthusiast. Totally refurbished. Nearly perfect condition for a boat that DOES actually run and not just sit in a showroom somewhere=) This boat has a HISTORY and a great story, more details and pics.

****Donzi is a 1964. This boat was originally a gift from Don Aronow (founder of Donzi Boats) to Bill Muncey (famed Unlimited Hydroplane racer/owner/driver) as a promotional trade so that Donzi could use his image in some of their advertising. Some time later Bill Muncey, or his estate sold the Donzi. Years later, his son Edward Muncey tracked down the boat and bought it back, then in 2003 he spent over $41,000 restoring the boat to it's current specifications with a new Alpha One 305 Mercruiser package. It shows as a 1964 model, supposedly the first year that Donzi was building the 16 footers.

Owner has a complete file on this boat with the invoice for all work completed. view at www.psunlimitednw.com

Wow - Nice XK19 too! Good luck w/ the sale(s).
    JL

you are going to need to put an asking price on the add
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

Craigslist ad

Link to the craigslist ad, and pictures.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1135174426.html
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Large Pictures. Beautiful.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

WOW very nice 1st Classic (except for the interior) LOL not ditching the boat, but those corners in the L seating should never be all bunched up. 1st stop would be to our friends in VA I think for new back bench seat backs that match originals.

A little history I came about a number of years ago. There was a red and blue 16 built in 63 for showing at the Miami Boat show I believe. Might have been the NY Boat show. Not sure which, but supposedly these two boats were sold to a dealer in New Orleans. Hurrican happened and Blue one was destroyed. This could be that red one, but who knows? Maybe more than just 2 were made in 63 and like the ad says 1 given to Mr. Muncey. I'm betting this is the true story here as no need for the museum to lie.

A real piece of history here for sure and yes, being a blue Classic lover, even I'd convert to red if I had the money.
    Scott Boldt

Would like to see a pic of the black felt marker hull number under the deck.

Boat shines like new.

'87 18 / 350 Mag / Alpha
    http://www.wallenpaupack.com/about.htm

Quote Originally Posted by chappy View Post
    Would like to see a pic of the black felt marker hull number under the deck.

Boat shines like new.
    Ditto. And I REALLY hope for good news on that front! Gorgeous little Donzi
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

In the info i have gathered on the 16 the first few were all white some had colored stripes. Brownie tells a story about taking the first 16 an all white one with blue stripes to the Jax boat show in 64. it had a 4 cyl volvo and a volvo drive on it. he goes into great detail( as only Brownie can ) on how Karl and the boys at lake X would like to see what the new drive was all about cause at that time Karl only had eggbeaters. The first prototype 16 was all white with red stripes and also a volvo in line 4 cyl . It was a in Sweden and I believe still resides there with a board member. In Michael's book they show an all white one being tested it was also a very early one.

The story behind this one is true, I think the years are a scue a bit.
    Many of the tell tales signs of being an early boat have been covered up by what seems to be a very complete modernization. Still a very nice classic

Boldts i wish we still had a friend in VA. not sure why they didn't take the tuck and roll thru to the seat cushions?

------It would be nice if there were a number on the bottom side of the deck but I wouldnt count on it with a boat this early.......Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    In the info i have gathered on the 16 the first few were all white some had colored stripes. Brownie tells a story about taking the first 16 an all white one with blue stripes to the Jax boat show in 64. it had a 4 cyl volvo and a volvo drive on it. he goes into great detail( as only Brownie can ) on how Karl and the boys at lake X would like to see what the new drive was all about cause at that time Karl only had eggbeaters. The first prototype 16 was all white with red stripes and also a volvo in line 4 cyl . It was a in Sweden and I believe still resides there with a board member. In Michael's book they show an all white one being tested it was also a very early one.

The story behind this one is true, I think the years are a scue a bit.
    Many of the tell tales signs of being an early boat have been covered up by what seems to be a very complete modernization. Still a very nice classic

Boldts i wish we still had a friend in VA. not sure why they didn't take the tuck and roll thru to the seat cushions?
    Yeah, I almost forgot that I have a picture of the first two 16's that Brownie's son (Mike) gave me and Uncle Tom last year. He also brought one to the auction at AOTH. To any effect, they were both white with a red stripe. Can't believe I forgot this...the picture is on my office wall! Haha.
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    ------It would be nice if there were a number on the bottom side of the deck but I wouldnt count on it with a boat this early.......Bill S
    I agree. If the boat is really that old, you probably won'y find any numbers. Unless there is authentic original documentation with the boat, there is no way to know for sure.
    ------------------------
    Charter member KWOSG

I looked at the picture of the first two 16's again. Neither had thru-hull exhaust from what I can tell. Matty, I would suppose these are the 4 cyl you were talking about.
    1970 18 Classic-original

As the current owner of this boat I clearly know less than you folks, but was just repeating what Edward Muncey told me when I bought it, I never asked him what the original color was, I assumed red, he did all the restoration and upgrading for $41,000 in receipts, not including the re-purchase of the boat. I think he then discovered how small a 16 is for the wife and kids. I'll see if I still have his e-mail to ask what the original specs, engine and color, could be interesting, and if I get under the dash I'll look for a number. I liked the history and I liked the resto job.

Quote Originally Posted by Donzi Vol View Post
    I looked at the picture of the first two 16's again. Neither had thru-hull exhaust from what I can tell. Matty, I would suppose these are the 4 cyl you were talking about.

if they did have thru hull it would only be one you can see it here on the starboard side in the pic just above the drive

Thread Information