Thread: Always a sad day....

Always a sad day....

We always see these. The customer said he was idling through the channel. What do you think?

Define idling please.

'87 18 / 350 Mag / Alpha
    http://www.wallenpaupack.com/about.htm

Musta had the stereo cranked up...............
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I can tell you that I was idling (I can say this, because I was there, driving) down the Rock River at 800 rpms in my X-18 and the engine IMMEDIATELY stopped. I wasn't slowing down, or speeding up. I was idling, and had been for about 5 minutes.

It was strange because I didn't feel the boat hit anything. Trying the starter did NOTHING. I thought maybe somehow I had hydraulic locked the engine, so when it was cool enough, I took out some plugs and they were fine, no water, and it still wouldn't spin.

When I got the heads off, I found the engine had dropped a valve. It had broken off just beyond the taper, dropped down into the cylinder, and on the up stroke the piston drove it into the cylinder wall.

I was astounded. I was at 800 rpms. If someone had told me this had happened, I wouldn't have believed them. But it did. Go figure.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by MadPoodle View Post
    Idling: descriptive noun; The speed my boat uncontrollably dropped down to immediately after I heard a loud banging noise while cruising @ 6300 RPM's.. Usually used in a sentence with other descriptive words like warranty, frequent oil changes, driven to church on Sunday's.
    This is classic.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Yeah you have to be careful what you make fun of..

When I fried all the main bearings and spun 4 rod bearings I was really only running 45mph. I have Jefe and Farmer Tx as a witness.

When I went back to work with it, and we tore it down, everyone looked at me like I had run the dog crap out of it.

Thread Information