Thread: Defrag programs

Defrag programs

What are the thoughts on defrag programs such as Ultimate defrager and JkDfrag, Microsofts defrag is rated so so.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Can't speak to the differences amongst them. I bet the dedicated packages are probably better than the base MSFT in some ways. But I strongly suspect that, like wax, the most important factor is regular use rather than what you use.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Ghost nailed it...

Set up a scheduled task to run in the middle of the night depending on how many file deletes and program install/uninstalls you do.

I would imagine once a month would be good for you. My server time shifts live TV so I defrag daily. I use the M$ defrag which is good enough. I've noticed no difference over Norton.

Da Taz
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

I agree I do regular maintenance, defrag and scan disk once a month also full virus deep scan once a week. I have read some very good reports on Ultimate Defrag and have been checking into JkDfrag also, a local tech I know swears by Ultimate. He says load speeds are reduces dramatically by the way it rearranges the programs, I have down loaded it but like to do a little more sluething before I jump into things. I have been using Auslogics defrag and reg cleaner for awhile they seem to do a decent job.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Can't speak to the differences amongst them. I bet the dedicated packages are probably better than the base MSFT in some ways. But I strongly suspect that, like wax, the most important factor is regular use rather than what you use.
    I agree with Howard, setting up a regular waxxing appointment is very important for a harmonious household......
    North East Donzi Club
    NO TOOLS

Just My Take

I recently evaluated O&O Defrag (Free). O&O seems to be highly regarded by those in the know. I guess I am NOT in the Know. After I fooled around with it for maybe six months.....This program can't SUCK enough. And... I should BUY the better version??.. I don't think so. On my system it takes WELL over an hour to run.

SO: I went back to the "Stock" Defrag that comes with XP-Pro. I run it about once a week.....after running CCleaner. I run the defrag twice in a row. It takes about TWO Minutes the first time and imediately afterward I run it again and it takes under a minute.

Just my experience. John.

EDIT: Oh Wait: WTF do I KNOW. I don't even have a Cell Phone. Call me Backward. Can you imagine my general attitude if I had to deal with a Cell Phone? Just Sayin.
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boxy View Post
    I agree with Howard, setting up a regular waxxing appointment is very important for a harmonious household......
    I agree with Howard a lot too.

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

DirMS (Do it right Micro Soft)

The best. But, no pretty graphics. http://www.dirms.com/

Haven't tried the Compact feature but some said can take days.
    '
    Reality is something you rise above. Build yourself a life -- and live with it.

I wouldn't sweat it ... so an idiot thinks you're a dick ... not the end of the world.

Always live life as though you have something to learn and you will

Thread Information