Thread: 16 O/b

16 O/b

I thought I remember reading a post (but can't seem to find it) that said the 16 O/B was designed to meet the requests of special customers.

If this is correct, do you remember who was the 1'st customer that drove Don to build this model?

Don never built a Donzi 16' outboard to the best of my memory.
    The boat was not designed for outboard engines and in the years before the sale to Teleflex, I do not remember anyone tinkering with the design to make it outboard compatible. The small production crew were constantly busy trying to fill the orders for the "real" 16s.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoPk
    I thought I remember reading a post (but can't seem to find it) that said the 16 O/B was designed to meet the requests of special customers.

If this is correct, do you remember who was the 1'st customer that drove Don to build this model?
    Gerry Walin in 1965 had an 16 inboard converted to an outboard for the purpose of testing an evinrude engine (starflite). I own this boat it has been titled as an outboard since 1965. There are also others including a 19 foot made for Jerry Langer in the same year (1965).
    Lou

Lou:
    Jerry took some 19's and made them outboard compatible for racing and engine testing purposes. They made great little rough water race boats and made a name for themselves in 64 and 65.
    I do not remember a 16' ever having an inboard or an I/O taken out and then having the transom changed in order to accomodate outboard power.
    But anything is possible. However, I never saw one and do not remember Dad having the time or man power to do that kind of work at the Donzi plant during those years. The 16's as they were originally designed, were too successful.

I know that we are only supposed to post questions on this thread but I have to put a word in , I come from an island named Mauritius and is the ass end of the world, but have known Donzi since I was born which is 1966, since I have met these little classics with outboards mind you I fell in love and that is why I still HAVE ONE!! I still have to say that though, they were I guess were splashing and using outboards since then, a friend of mine when I went home in 86 had a brand new one with a 200 yamaha, and ran like a bat outta hell, but as a third world country, no guages or anything of the sort but hold on to your britches!! They altough got busted for splashing and now are paying the price and legally build them with the DONZI name, in 96, new boat and yammy 200 hp,$7000 with no trailer, 3 rd worl rules I guess, can I open a plant there and ship them here, LOL

"I come from an island named Mauritius and is the ass end of the world"

--Pretty close to where my Grandfather was born and I still have family in the Seychelles Islands

First I've heard of a Donzi licensing agreement off the coast of Africa. What is the name of the company? When do you believe that they began building under some agreement?

Tux, been to the Seychelles a few times, georgeous place, specially Pralin, although Mahe has its charm. As for Donzi being built under licence, I do believe it is Resiglas Ltd, in Port Louis but can find out for sure.

I have a '76 16OB.... built long after DA sold the company. It had a plate on the dash that said "DONZI built especally for...." maybe they WERE built only by request.

RESIGLAS LTD
    Address : 44, Little Bridge Str PORT LOUIS
    Tel : (230) 240.18.75 / (230) 240.18.76 (230) 242.13.39
    Activity : Manufacturing of glass fibre, neon lights, tanks and swimming pool.

i have a 16 ob refer to model baby

Quote Originally Posted by BIG BAD DONZI View Post
    Don never built a Donzi 16' outboard to the best of my memory.
    The boat was not designed for outboard engines and in the years before the sale to Teleflex, I do not remember anyone tinkering with the design to make it outboard compatible. The small production crew were constantly busy trying to fill the orders for the "real" 16s.
    M
    well i have a 1971 ob and it one hell of a boat i put a new 125 hp mec. 60 mph and handle like the big boys toys

Thread Information