Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pros & Cons various wireless routers

Question Pros & Cons various wireless routers

Picked up a lap top and want to add a wireless router so Bonnie can surf simultaneously. What are my options without getting crazy?

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Belkin G PLus
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Linksys 54G. $45 mail order and always works. I have 2 of them, dad runs his entire server at home, 4 computers, 2 printers all off of one too.

If you want a small, portable solution and only have need 1 cat-5 cable port, I really like the Apple airport express. It has 1 port, 1 usb for a printer, and an audio out port if you want to stream itunes wirelessly to your home stereo- great for parties or sitting on the couch and playing DJ from your couch. It also works with the 54G all on 1 network if you just want it for the audio out part- (that what I use it for)

There are a lot of small wireless router/hubs. My experiences with many have sucked, and so far, it appears that the incompatibilities have been between specific devices and specific wireless cards, or combinations of wireless cards. Nothing has worked with everything.

So, in short, whatever you try, I would suggest you don't wait to learn more and set up any fancy security, and instead set up everyhing right away, and test it out thoroughly with multiple machines connected.

Then, if anything is just not happy together, for whatever reason, you can drop the f-er off back inside a 30-day no-questions-asked return period and try a different one, rather than get into a snowball of Tech-Support Hell.

FWIW,

Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Cisco Linksys 54G works great.
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

I have had good luck with the Linksys units as well. Not sure how it would work with dial up though...

Frank
    Triple Hatch.
    It's a classic Donzi, not a Donzi Classic.

dial up ????? no you're kidding right

the new offerings from verizon with fios include a wireless router with security.
    belkin , linksys/cisco, netgear are all good products
    i did have some problems with the newer wireless protocols and older OS systems but not much

The question is does the mad poster MOP have a new high speed connection? or does he hold the record for dial-up?
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Best value is usually 1 or 2 year old technology. I bought my wireless router for $5 and have been using it for 3 years now. It's not the fastest, but there are plenty of other bottle-necks so it hasn't been a problem for me at all.

If a router is located in my loft, how well will this Lynksys54G work reaching to my laptop in basement (loft/main floor/basement set up)? I have a netgear card if it makes a difference.
    2002 28ZX

Should be fine.
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Quote Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS View Post
    If a router is located in my loft, how well will this Lynksys54G work reaching to my laptop in basement (loft/main floor/basement set up)? I have a netgear card if it makes a difference.
    I've seen people who needed to add a wireless hop to span floors. Or you could be like me and hard wire it for faster speeds. Besides everything is going GigaBit.

Phil, Any G wireless will work for you. I've used Belkin and Linksys with no problems. Be sure to use WEP for security.

Da Taz<---Go 1000BASE-T or go home. Hymmm, maybe I need to look into fiber NIC's and hubs.
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Picked up a lap top and want to add a wireless router so Bonnie can surf simultaneously. What are my options without getting crazy?

Phil
    2 computers sharing a dial-up wireless network ???
    North East Donzi Club
    NO TOOLS

Cool

Yes even though I am not sure if I need it I did switch to cable, remember I do know about speed having a T-1 at work. The main reason for the switch was costs, phone was running about $160 a month, cable TV $56 and $20 for the dial up. That was $236 a month to the package deal of $106. inc taxes. I went with a Linksys WRT160N router the range is great from what I can see, I took the laptop out int he yard about 75 feet from the house and it still shows a very strong signal. The bum part is now I have no time to play games while something loads, but for a $130.00 savings I will deal with it!!!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Yes even though I am not sure if I need it I did switch to cable, remember I do know about speed having a T-1 at work. The main reason for the switch was costs, phone was running about $160 a month, cable TV $56 and $20 for the dial up. That was $236 a month to the package deal of $106. inc taxes. I went with a Linksys WRT160N router the range is great from what I can see, I took the laptop out int he yard about 75 feet from the house and it still shows a very strong signal. The bum part is now I have no time to play games while something loads, but for a $130.00 savings I will deal with it!!!

just think of the posting speed. 10k post on dial up has to be a record
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Thread Information