Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The amazing DP

Look VP Charts

They do not list the DPX-600 or the 1.47 ratio drive on the prop selection chart but you can see in the DPX-600 literature they do exist.

Attachment 40914

Attachment 40915

Attachment 40916

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    One notable exception that I touched on recently though .....
    That Lipship Cig 20 (with its huge price tag) comes with a B3 ...
    The two that were in Kentucky at AOTH this year I thought both had Blackhawks ??? The Red boat and the Blue one...

Actually one of the cigs had a TRS on it it was raffed up next to Hotshot and Steve.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

I did not read many of the posts, I love dou prop drives. When the first Volvo's came out we got them on our Grady Whites, on that hull it was faster all the way around, I know that is not true of all hulls! Mid range with a same HP single running along side showed the dou to be running a couple of hundred RPM slower yet both topped out a 5K with the single being just a tad slower. We also noticed less trim tab was needed on the dou's, also like mentioned above great manueverabilty and -0- steering torque. As most know I tried a BH drive on my 22, from the bottom up to about 4K RPM it was great truly handled like a sports car. It would haul a bunch of people as a few at 1K found out, I absolutely loved everything about the drive except top end was not there. The BH topped high 50's, a swap to a Bravo no other changes put me @65.5 with my mild 383.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Hey there Phil ,
    Actually , you were only one of three that knew about this issue I had ...
    I thought that I'd just point out something here that I believe should be corrected ...
    On more than one occasion here a member has referred to the subject of 'steering torque' and how the DP unit eliminates the problem ..
    Nearly all new marine engine packages now have power steering which is what eliminates the problem of 'steering torque'.
    The DP unit eliminates 'Prop torque' which is what was causing my problems .
    Early on, someone else couldn't understand what my issue was and kept saying that if I had power steering the problem would be taken care of because when their eyes read ' prop torque' their brain saw 'steering torque'....
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Hi Steve yes you have it right about prop torque, but I feel all power steering does is mask it by providing power assist. A dou can do without Power steering, I know this as I drove one of our clients boats quite a distance with a blown steering hose. The lack of effort was amazing, for economy sake why use the HP to power a not needed pump!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    A bow thruster on a performance boat? I would think it would take to much of a beating at speed and maybe a little to much odd pressure on the bow but what do I know.
    I just read this thread for the first time. Morgan’s Cloud I have a question and I hope you will be honest. No judgment from me but I have to know. You say you picked up 2 or 3 mph and some handling over your last set up. On your old set up did you do any prop testing to help the handling? Left and right hand props? I ask because my boat is a “bear” with a right hand prop on it (enough that it broke a steering cable) but with a left it’s like it has power steering from start to WOT. But like said all boats are different.
    Now here is the real question. How much did it cost for those couple mph? Motor and DP are not cheap.

Oops , almost forgot to answer this .... no I'm not coy ... haha

The apparent increase in speed was a bit of a surprise and was never my goal. It was the outright terrible handling that had to go. I never tried different rotation props .. Never even entered my mind to be honest. When I hear stories like yours I sometimes wonder if there is also an issue with the motor/outdrive being perfectly centred ... If that could infact cause a problem like you had ....

As for cost .. are you sitting down ....?
    I have no idea what the 'trade in value' will be on the original SX-A ... especially if they start whining that it was run in salt water
    but the installed cost on the boat for the DPS-A was $9000 .
    If I was over there with you guys it would have been a whole bunch less but freight and import taxes (who says we're a tax haven ) make a huge difference out here .
    (did I mention how much we've benifitted by the dropping oil prices ? Gas is now only US$6.41 a gallon !)

This actually demonstrates what a 'bargain' a complete engine/drive/trans assy package is ... Maybe I should have bought another one , complete, and only kept the outdrive

So , at the end of the day , if I've seen an increase in top end, that's really nice too , but I just wanted to have a nice controllable boat again !

Steve

Here's another "Batboat" thread, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.speedwake.com/upload/show...&highlight=dpx

Member: Red Boat Club
    1996 22' Classic
    Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX (E-4 props)
    bone stock 72.8 gps mph

Hi Morgan's Cloud
    Good to here you got it working and sorry to here it took the DP to do it I know it means more money! Typical bout just like a lady wants the good stuff ha ha.
    Hope you are enjoying it I still have not got mien done.
    Had one bad year last year. But that means this one will be better.
    Brian

Hey Brian ,

Glad you're still here .

Have you made much progress since we last spoke ?

Another St T showed up here late last year and I have a feeling that we'll be hearing from Dennis again very soon now that he's back on shore (I believe)
    His is reportedly the last ST T built (under special circumstances I think)

Yes , I'm very relieved to have sorted out the major handling issue I had , now maybe I can use the thing this summer.

Pity the remedy was so costly but the way things were going I just could'nt believe that a simple prop change was going to fix it.

Steve

Thread Information