Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Here is the original Chris Craft info.

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Here is the original Chris Craft info.
    I don't remember ever having seen one of them. I like the layout and look. Thanks

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    My boat repair friend from here just sent me this listing. I guess I now know what it takes to get to 80MPH in a 27 Magnum single. Would this be originally set up with twins or a race version single since it was raced under the name Double Vision? Check out the diamond plate in the engine compartment. Bill

http://detroit.craigslist.org/boa/841507688.html
    That's one of the few single engine Sports Magnum built......Mark knows more about it....

I think it had a single 475 hp Merc with a Speedmaster.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Check out the diamond plate in the engine compartment. Bill

http://detroit.craigslist.org/boa/841507688.html
    I'm betting there are twin gas tanks underneath the plating?

A la:
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by cutwater View Post

A la:
    Yes sir....

Here's a shot of it back in the day....
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by superhatz View Post
    That's one of the few single engine Sports Magnum built......Mark knows more about it....

I think it had a single 475 hp Merc with a Speedmaster.
    That Mag was one of two that raced from Lake St Clair, to race against boats like the big Magnum Thumper Too. They came with single 482cu merc with speed III drives. She raced originally as Screaming Yellow Zonker Than Double Vision. You are right the gas tanks are under the alum plates in the rear of this Mag. The other single Mag [288-Broad Jumper] I helped my friend convert to twins around 1983, Why ???????? Where that one is today ???

The other singles I was thinking about Mark were some of the original Aronow race boats......some are the same boat, but I'm not sure which?

I think they're all the same boat.....?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

A la:
    John,
    Here are some better shots the seller sent to me today. Definitely the fuel tanks back in the engine compartment. Notice the trim tabs mounted like has been discussed - parallel to the water surface instead of along the transom bottom. Did you talk to Bud? If you want a boat like this, this is a deal in my book. Please say you want to go for this boat so I won't - lol. Bud's or this one - take your choice. The seller of this one said he had a prospective buyer from New Zealand, but it is still open right now.

That Mag was one of two that raced from Lake St Clair, to race against boats like the big Magnum Thumper Too. They came with single 482cu merc with speed III drives. She raced originally as Screaming Yellow Zonker Than Double Vision. You are right the gas tanks are under the alum plates in the rear of this Mag. The other single Mag [288-Broad Jumper] I helped my friend convert to twins around 1983, Why ???????? Where that one is today ???
    So why did you convert to twins? I guess you are saying that you don't know where it is today or do you actually own it? Thanks for the info - it sounds like a great boat with history. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by superhatz View Post
    The other singles I was thinking about Mark were some of the original Aronow race boats......some are the same boat, but I'm not sure which?

I think they're all the same boat.....?
    Aaron, what do you think of this one? Ready to run and restored, it sure sounds like a deal to me. Your thoughts. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

John,Did you talk to Bud? If you want a boat like this, this is a deal in my book. Please say you want to go for this boat so I won't - lol. Bud's or this one - take your choice.
    Yeah I talked to Bud, I am seriously considering it. My major concern right now is that it's about 20 miles north of Chicago, and I have no tow vehicle!! I would have to find someone who could store it for me until they plan on driving through the southeast and could trailer it down here (590 miles!!!). I don't mind reimbursing someone for all gas & mileage, but I couldn't pay $2500 to have it professionally shipped.

There are other concerns, but I have been too overwhelmed at work this week to even think about it much. I'll keep you updated.
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

Yeah I talked to Bud, I am seriously considering it. My major concern right now is that it's about 20 miles north of Chicago, and I have no tow vehicle!! I would have to find someone who could store it for me until they plan on driving through the southeast and could trailer it down here (590 miles!!!). I don't mind reimbursing someone for all gas & mileage, but I couldn't pay $2500 to have it professionally shipped.

There are other concerns, but I have been too overwhelmed at work this week to even think about it much. I'll keep you updated.
    After talking to some friends, the going rate for delivering trailerable boats seems to be $1.50/mile around here, so you would be talking less than $1000 at that rate. You might ask Bud if he would deliver it or knows anyone who would for a good price. Just a thought.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I know Mike who has the white Mag, and I have seen it,, it is nice. He put alot of work in her and it shows it, and I knew the other owner who raced it as Double Vision. Bob put a cabin liner in her from a Cherokee boat that also was a Mag copy made here in Michigan. I would buy it if I didnt have my 29' Mirage or my 24' Cobra.
    My friend Dean wanted a twin eng Mag like the one I had, so we made one. He bought it at a right price so it wasn't a hard to do. Here are a few pic's of the [288] before and after. I know the [288 Magnum Force] had 4 gas tanks. Two forward,, two aft.

Err ,
    Let's see if this works Bill .....
    One more to come later if it does ....
    Steve
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

... There you are .... Boating in the triangle !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Err ,
    Let's see if this works Bill .....
    One more to come later if it does ....
    Steve
    Steve, very nice looking 25! What is your floor - gelcoat or paint? It just hit me this morning about your comment on your custom windshield not being a greenhouse - too funny! Who did you find to custom build it? Who did the restoration on your Magnum? What lakes do you boat? So many questions. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I know Mike who has the white Mag, and I have seen it,, it is nice. He put alot of work in her and it shows it, and I knew the other owner who raced it as Double Vision. Bob put a cabin liner in her from a Cherokee boat that also was a Mag copy made here in Michigan. I would buy it if I didnt have my 29' Mirage or my 24' Cobra.
    My friend Dean wanted a twin eng Mag like the one I had, so we made one. He bought it at a right price so it wasn't a hard to do. Here are a few pic's of the [288] before and after. I know the [288 Magnum Force] had 4 gas tanks. Two forward,, two aft.
    Apparently, the race version single engine Magnum 27s were rigged with the 4 fuel tanks since I have heard of at least 3 rigged that way. It is hard to tell though if they were different boats since the names changed fairly frequently. You must have a record of the race Magnums to be able to come up with so much information on them as well as pictures of so many. My logic would be that if you used a 4 tank Magnum for pleasure, you would want the fuel in the front tanks to take some load off the already heavy aft end and make the bow stay down for a better ride - correct? I can see installing twins in an ocean going boat for the security of getting back if one engine package died. What engine/drive packages did you install in Dean's race Magnum? Thanks again.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information