Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 372

Thread: Choosing between rocks

  1. #76
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,822
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    If it's any help, mine is MAG250080273 ... Feb 1973 supposedly ..

    And it's on the stbd transom just under the ridge on the hull/deck joint ..
    Thanks. That also tells me that the numbers were installed on Magnums at least by February 1973. If the one I just bought is actually a 1973, there should be some numbers. Bill

    1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

  2. #77
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,822
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Thanks. That also tells me that the numbers were installed on Magnums at least by February 1973. If the one I just bought is actually a 1973, there should be some numbers. Bill
    I sanded some more today on the new gelcoat on the transom, but there do not appear to be any numbers back there -

    1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

  3. #78
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,822
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    72 was first year of transom ID
    Here is a link to the HINs on boats. Yep, I should have been able to find some numbers if mine is a 1973, but it might have been actually made before November 1, 1972 and still been a 1973 model - right? Bill

    http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

    1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    915
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Here is a link to the HINs on boats. Yep, I should have been able to find some numbers if mine is a 1973, but it might have been actually made before November 1, 1972 and still been a 1973 model - right? Bill

    http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html
    With Magnum, anything is possible....

    Late '72 or early '73 makes sense with that dash, Volvos and that color.

    I'll try and take a pic of my hull # written under the dash.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,550
    Rep Power
    26
    I had to have the Cary inspected by Fla LEO when I retitled it because the hull ID # was typed wrong on the title from day one, the original 35 year owner never caught the mistake because he never looked at the title for over 35 years... I caught it day one on my purchase..

    I digress..

    The LEO Officer brought with him the FLA State Statute and US Fed Reg's and USCG books to confirm ID and manufacturer status. They don't take anybody's word for anything, they have personal inspections, or your in trouble, no negotiatians whatsoever. It (the statute) clearly stated that the hull ID nomenclature started with the '72 model year, however any hulls built/delivered in late '71 as a '72 titled vessel MUST have the ID number impregnated/molded/affixed in the gell or hull in the rear stb location, on the hull, not the deck, immediately below the rubrail. The only variance on this would be a USCG documented/registered vessel from day 1, whereas the documented number must be affixed to a secured panel amidships in prominant view. There was no start/stop year limit on this procedure.

    If there is nothing there on this Magnum, and it was represented and sold and possibly titled as a '73, then someone has some splainin' to do...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 454-330-TRS
    1996 16-OB, 150 TRP Yamaha
    2001 Z235 Sport Deck, 350 MPI

    www.donzi.org


  6. #81
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,822
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    I had to have the Cary inspected by Fla LEO when I retitled it because the hull ID # was typed wrong on the title from day one, the original 35 year owner never caught the mistake because he never looked at the title for over 35 years... I caught it day one on my purchase..

    I digress..

    The LEO Officer brought with him the FLA State Statute and US Fed Reg's and USCG books to confirm ID and manufacturer status. They don't take anybody's word for anything, they have personal inspections, or your in trouble, no negotiatians whatsoever. It (the statute) clearly stated that the hull ID nomenclature started with the '72 model year, however any hulls built/delivered in late '71 as a '72 titled vessel MUST have the ID number impregnated/molded/affixed in the gell or hull in the rear stb location, on the hull, not the deck, immediately below the rubrail. The only variance on this would be a USCG documented/registered vessel from day 1, whereas the documented number must be affixed to a secured panel amidships in prominant view. There was no start/stop year limit on this procedure.

    If there is nothing there on this Magnum, and it was represented and sold and possibly titled as a '73, then someone has some splainin' to do...
    I have wondered how many clerical errors are made when titles are issued - especially when you consider the long series of letters and numbers in a vehicle title. I would not think your experience was all that uncommon.
    I have had to deal with quite a few problems with title work over the years since I have dealt with older boats and vehicles - many of which were from out of state. The Magnum I just bought did not come with a title - only a bill of sale from the man. He bought it the same way a few years ago. I will be talking to the Texas Parks and Wildlife department soon to determine what is necessary to get this boat titled. Right now I am hoping to find the hull number since I am almost certain it would make titling much easier. What I don't want to have to do is title it as a home made boat or something as non descriptive. I won't be doing anything with the boat for a while, but I want to get the title work out of the way before I start work on the restoration. Thanks for the response. Bill

    1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

  7. #82
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,822
    Rep Power
    14
    Here is a picture I took this afternoon of where I sanded on the new gelcoat that was applied when the new transom was constructed. Wouldn't the HINs be where I went through the gelcoat? Bill

    1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    915
    Rep Power
    18
    Yep.....that's where mine are.

    That color is cool......
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

  9. #84
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,822
    Rep Power
    14
    Aaron,
    I am a fan of dark green, but I am not much on light/medium green. I once ordered a 1977 24' Excalibur in dark green after seeing a Cigarette in Miami that really grabbed my attention. Lightning Boats liked it so much after they shot it that the president told me they made one or two more - lol. Here is a 1986 Jaguar XJ6 that I restored last year to its original Jaguar racing green as the color is called. It is my favorite color on Jaguars and other things - Bill

    1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

  10. #85
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,822
    Rep Power
    14
    I talked yesterday afternoon with High Life on the phone for a while. He told me that he has a friend who installed a single engine 502/415HP with a Bravo One in a Magnum 27 and got 61MPH out of it. Needless to say, that made my day since I was hoping for around 60+MPH using a Bravo III (counter rotating props) and a 500HP engine. Eventually, I might end up with more speed than I even figured. Bill

    1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    0
    Okay someone tell me more about the Magnum 30 - What is missing? What drive/engine combo? How many of these made? What needs to be repaired structurally?

    Thanks, I'm driving myself crazy over this one. Also, I'm wondering if he'd take any less than $15k.
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    107
    Rep Power
    0
    Why a bravo 3? If you run in rough water you will regret it. Not to mention prop choice and the loss of 3-5 mph

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,550
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by fast fun 2 View Post
    Why a bravo 3? If you run in rough water you will regret it. Not to mention prop choice and the loss of 3-5 mph
    i'm going to disagree with that..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 454-330-TRS
    1996 16-OB, 150 TRP Yamaha
    2001 Z235 Sport Deck, 350 MPI

    www.donzi.org


  14. #89
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,822
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by cutwater View Post
    Okay someone tell me more about the Magnum 30 - What is missing? What drive/engine combo? How many of these made? What needs to be repaired structurally?

    Thanks, I'm driving myself crazy over this one. Also, I'm wondering if he'd take any less than $15k.
    It sounds like you need to talk to the seller who is a nice guy to talk with on the phone. If you want to call me at my work number, I can give you his information. My number is 903-786-6281. Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by fast fun 2 View Post
    Why a bravo 3? If you run in rough water you will regret it. Not to mention prop choice and the loss of 3-5 mph
    Why do you think it would cause problems in rough water any more than a single prop drive? It definitely has limited prop choices, but I have not heard that it causes a loss in speed. I like the fact that there is virtually no steering torque with the Bravo III and it is fairly tough. Can you elaborate on your reasons? Thanks, Bill

    1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

  15. #90
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    18
    Bill , that green is identical to what mine originally was .... Somehow I'm thinking that you might just want to try sanding a little to the west of the spot that you already have made .... No harm, seeing what work lays ahead of you eh ?

    I'm a little cynical of the speed on that 27 with the 502/B3 as my 25 is correctly propped and it may see 60 on a good day .

    Of course with a little searching one can find tons of discourse on the pros/cons of twin prop units.

    If we're talking solely about the B1 vers the B3 of course the B1 will have a bit of a speed advantage , but how important is absolute all out top speed to the individual owner ? Plus , you can't rule out the handling advantages.
    Remember also that Merc was going to introduce a 'performance line' of B3 props.

    Again , as far as the generic statement ' Duoprops cost you speed ..' goes , has anyone seen the boat tests where identically powered , identical boats are run against one another .... ? The single prop Merc drive is slower than the Volvo SX ... And that's not even taking into account the new SX-A which more resembles the DP-X .

    (Edit... sorry .. I've just noticed that you were referring to a B1/502 setup in the 27 earlier ...Yes .. that 61 sounds more believable now .... lol ..)
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •