Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Quote Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
    I copied and edited the picture . . .
    I presume what your asking is can the outlined area on the picture below be removed without effecting structural strength?
    Mario L.
    It looks like that short bulkhead was there just to keep the tanks from moving forward, and keeping the foam in place under and around the tanks?

thank you
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Marshall, do you think this "tank stringer" can be removed without any consequence? Trying to get a feel (amongst many) to decide if It's a good trade off to eliminate this
    area in order to maxamize the new space with a larger tank? I can gain 25 to 30 gals (aside) Just don't know if it's the smart thing.
    I would think that since the tank stringer and the bulkhead are so close it wouldnt hurt the hull strenth. You might be able to talk to someone at magnum who laid these boats up.

Marshall

Feeling better about putting 2-70" tanks there now...................thanks all!
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Hey Bill
    In your post 219 I see these little supports inside of the two outside stringer randomly glassed in to support the floor I assume. I never saw this and could not figure out what had been there on mine since the previous owner had taken them out and I couldn't see where they had tied into the other side Now I know Did you build any gussetts under the foot area you glassed in? Also from the pics it looks like you left the center stringer full height?
    Thanks
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Cheekz View Post
    Hey Bill
    In your post 219 I see these little supports inside of the two outside stringer randomly glassed in to support the floor I assume. I never saw this and could not figure out what had been there on mine since the previous owner had taken them out and I couldn't see where they had tied into the other side Now I know Did you build any gussetts under the foot area you glassed in? Also from the pics it looks like you left the center stringer full height?
    Thanks
    Parnell
    Parnell,
    I just saw your post. Yes, I took them out since they were in the way of the subfloor that I built and they were poorly attached. I figured the "box" that I built from the center stringer to the outside stringers would be a much better outside stringer support mechanism anyway - it ties the whole framework together. Yes, my center keel stringer is still full height. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Thanks Bill
    Did you have to repair your transom?
    Parnell

Thanks Bill
    Did you have to repair your transom?
    Parnell
    The only thing the man who wanted to restore the boat had done was to contract someone to build a new transom. He then decided the project was too much for him. He paid $3000 for the transom work, and I can say they did a great job - one of the best I have seen with regelcoated exterior and nice interior layup. Heck, I bought the whole boat from him on an aluminum double axle trailer for less than that. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I am wondering about making a couple of pieces for my transom so I don't have to take my deck off. If I staggered the cuts on my two pieces of 3/4 ply and do a nice job on glassing do you think its a problem? My consultants always put transoms in without the deck on so they are not a great source for that opinion.
    Parnell

Parnell,

I don't think the transom access is limited by the deck . . after you have everything out of the way, cut some templates of the replacement panels from rigid cardboard and try to insert them in place.
    IRC on my 68 vintage boat the transom core does not reach all the way to the sides of the hull.

Mario L.

I am wondering about making a couple of pieces for my transom so I don't have to take my deck off. If I staggered the cuts on my two pieces of 3/4 ply and do a nice job on glassing do you think its a problem? My consultants always put transoms in without the deck on so they are not a great source for that opinion.
    Parnell
    I know the guys who did the transom in my Magnum did not remove the deck. They used clear resin on the inside so I can see the wood pieces. I believe they spliced. I can take a pic if you want. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Mario That is exactly what I plan on doing with the cardboard, I have already gone thru a bunch making templates but after really spending time looking there is just no way one big piece will fit with all the stringers and overhangs on the deck
    Bill I would greatly appreciate a pic or two. I think I can do it in 2 pieces but any pics would help
    Thanks
    Parnell

I just bought a new Gaffrig dual shifter on ebay in case I want to go with it instead of the NOS Morse console dual shifter that I already had bought. Link below.
    Parnell, I will try to remember to take a picture of the transom tomorrow. Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    I just bought a new Gaffrig dual shifter on ebay in case I want to go with it instead of the NOS Morse console dual shifter that I already had bought. Link below.
    Parnell, I will try to remember to take a picture of the transom tomorrow. Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
    Hey Bill - Ive been looking for one of those for a while on OSO. Let me know how the install goes. I'll have to measure but I think the area of my helm where the throttle is placed allows for 8 or 9 inches of mounting lenth so the gaffrig is the way to go.

Marshall

Bill I would greatly appreciate a pic or two. I think I can do it in 2 pieces but any pics would help
    Thanks
    Parnell
    Parnell,
    I took this picture this afternoon and lightened it to really show where they spliced on the left side of the transom as shown. You can see the two pieces that they spliced in order to get the main piece in place as one piece. Note that the outside stringers were cut back to allow the placement as well as the center keel stringer which was needed as well. The center stringer will remain low due to the plan to repower with a single. They did not build the stringers back or seal the drain hole - thus the slight water intrusion, but it is solid. Actually, I think the previous owner cut the drain hole after it sat outside and gathered rain water after they were finished with the transom. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    Hey Bill - Ive been looking for one of those for a while on OSO. Let me know how the install goes. I'll have to measure but I think the area of my helm where the throttle is placed allows for 8 or 9 inches of mounting lenth so the gaffrig is the way to go.

Marshall
    Marshall,
    A friend of mine here sent me an email about the Gaffrig on ebay or I would never have seen it. I think it would be a better looking choice than the chromed Morse since I am not inclined to bring everything back to original and I like the lower throttle look. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information