Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Mario
    Does your boat have 4 tanks?
    Scippy whats the tank layout in yours?
    How about yours Bill?
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Scippy, did you talk to the man in Wisconsin that I bought my Magnum from? He had it on ebay. Bill[/quote]

Bill, I was referring to the previous owner of Parnell's 27 sport. Ya know, the one thing we 3 all have in common is?
    no engine hatch!..............Hmmmmmmmm, wonder how we'll all come about this missing piece and how it will differ
    from each others.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Cheekz View Post
    Mario
    How about yours Bill?
    Parnell
    Hey P,

Mine is the typical 2 -50 gal. tank split between the keel stringer under the cabin sole.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Any evidence of tanks forward of that ever? When you get a chance can you take a picture of the center stringer going forward in the compartment forward of your tanks?
    Thanks
    Parnell

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Ya know, the one thing we 3 all have in common is?
    no engine hatch!..............Hmmmmmmmm, wonder how we'll all come about this missing piece and how it will differ
    from each others.
    I have a gameplan on the engine hatch which will bring the same rounded contours from the side vents into the engine cover, but smaller rounded contoured sides. Mine will have to be built fairly high to accomodate both the large engine and the headers with pipes out the back of the engine cover. One day - Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Mario
    How about yours Bill?
    Parnell
    Mine also has the 2 - 50 gallon tanks under the cabin floor.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill
    I just remembered you are going singlew motor so 100 gallons will be great I want more for my twin. Could you take a pic of the center stringer in yours in the compartment forward of the tank compartment when you get a chance Thanks
    Parnell

Any evidence of tanks forward of that ever? When you get a chance can you take a picture of the center stringer going forward in the compartment forward of your tanks?
    Thanks
    Parnell
    Hey P,
    My '76 sport had no evidence of fuel tanks anywhere but for the area in the first picture. The first shot shows looking foward inside the
    cabin area (minus the 2-50 gal. fuel tanks) The foward smaller compartments ( I suspect) where used for additional fuel in models such as the Starfire but, only a guess.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

A bit late , but I'll try to catch up

Sweet Cheekz,
    My boat has 2 50 gallon tanks and the first bulkhead is located just forward of these. I've not heard of any Magnum built boats with tanks further forward, but have heard of and seen boats with tanks under the cockpit floor.

One person shared with me that they would always run these two aft tanks empty first before switching to the forward "stock" tanks. With all the pictures online of Magnum 27s in flight it seems that as built by the factory they really had the balance of the boat figured out.

Bulkheads in these boats had the centers cut out for forward access. I built my bulkhead with a larger opening, but doubled it up, screwed and laminated together with West Epoxy, then fiberglassed in place. It was next to impossible to perfectly match the top edge to the exact deck contour. I filled this space with a fiberglass filler before glassing the bulkhead to the deck and hull sides.

When I made the new bulkhead I had to make it so it would fit through the cabin door. So it's really an arch shape. I'll get some pics if your interested.
    Magnum Marine would have installed all the bulkheads into the hull before installing the deck.

Mario L
    68 Magnum
    69 Corsican

Bill
    I just remembered you are going singlew motor so 100 gallons will be great I want more for my twin. Could you take a pic of the center stringer in yours in the compartment forward of the tank compartment when you get a chance Thanks
    Parnell
    Here you go. The center keel stringer tapers down to around 5" or 6" just forward of the cabin bulkhead. My picture isn't the best, but it slopes down to the 5+". Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
    It was next to impossible to perfectly match the top edge to the exact deck contour. I filled this space with a fiberglass filler before glassing the bulkhead to the deck and hull sides.

Mario L
    68 Magnum
    69 Corsican
    Mario,
    I plan to do the exact same fill work before glassing. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

My how this thread has evolved from rocks and American artifacts!

Hi Guys
    Scippy I'm not sure I understand your pics I see where the tanks were but whats the little compartment in front of that? If you get a chance could you measure between the first and second bulkheads?
    Bill yours is exactly the same as mine but I know there was tanks in that compartment because I just spent two miserable days getting the foam out Tanks were already out and gone but with that stringer the way it is it seems wierd to me on how they mounted them.
    Mario I feel like I have heard there were sports with forward tanks for extra fuel capacity in race boats Not sure but its what I'm thinking I think I'm going to build up my center stringer and put two tanks there I need more than 100 gallons for the twins I want.

Thanks for all the info guys
    Parnell

Hi Guys
    Scippy I'm not sure I understand your pics I see where the tanks were but whats the little compartment in front of that? If you get a chance could you measure between the first and second bulkheads?

Thanks for all the info guys
    Parnell
    Are you referng to the total span between cabin entrance and the first foward bulkhead? ......(it's approx. 73") .....within this span is the fuel tank comparment......(it's approx. 57") and foward of this is the "little comparment" you refer to........it's 16" .....Now, the compartment bill pictured (with the tapered keel stringer) mine spans approx. 25" in lenght. All toll, I have 3 bulkheads (4, if you count the cabin entrance wall)
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thanks Scippy
    I measured mine today while I was working and mine are 57 43 and 47 from the entrance bulkhead forward with 4 total also. I wonder what the purpose of that little compartment was? Probably never know
    Working on pulling my fuel tanks and see whats doing So far the boat is in way better shape than I thought The gel and all the wood so far are pretty good I just need to make a few repairs but not a complete makeover I feel like I just shaved a few months of work off her.
    Parnell

Thread Information