Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

VERY nice job!!

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Considering that I was out of town moving my mother for a week and the 100+ degree days down here in north Texas, I have been sort of slow on the Magnum project. I finally built, glassed, and painted the subfloor so I can stand while driving. Tomorrow, I should build the main floor, and then I can get to the engine room stringers. I will be cutting out some panels in the main floor that will hinge out of the way when I want to stand. Here are a few pictures from today. Bill
    Thats a great idea for the floor. Is that gel coat or paint, looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by donzi2287 View Post
    VERY nice job!!
    Thanks, Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Thats a great idea for the floor. Is that gel coat or paint, looks good.
    The subfloor panels (13/16" plywood) were beveled on the outside bottoms to follow the hull angle and coated with resin on the bottom side before I installed them on a bedding of resin paste followed by double glassing the meeting surfaces. The meeting edge at the keel stringer were first screwed down every 4" to the 2x4"s that were bolted through the keel stringer for that support of the subfloor. The cross members were triple glassed on both sides before I could install the sub floor panels - notice that I left at least 1.5" clearance below the cross members for the bilge water. Before I reinstalled the fuel tanks, I cleaned out the original tubes that run under them to the cockpit so any water can escape all the way from the most forward area ahead of the first bulkhead all the way to the back of the hull. I had to cut out the original 6 gussets that were randomly glassed to the inside of the outside stringers under the cockpit, but I figure I more than gained that support back with the new cross members and subflooring. I didn't need to paint what I did since it is all covered in resin and glass and will be covered in flooring, but I did it for me to clean up the look as I continue. I used a professional grade gloss exterior enamel - rolled on (I probably should have rolled on gelcoat) - . I have not decided if I will carpet or use another material on the subfloor and main floor, but I am leaning towards a pigmented thickened gelcoat that I would apply with a textured finish or a rubberized pigmented material similar to Rhino liner. I will have to decide before I can secure the main floor since the subfloor will have to be done first. I will be drilling a couple drain holes in the subfloor and coating them also. When I finalize the engine compartment stringers, battery hold down plates, cross members, etc., I will be gelcoating all of it with white for a clean look. Onwards, Bill

I should add that I jumped up and down on the subfloor, and it is solid as a rock!

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Today, I drilled and installed lifting eyes in the transom so that I could lift the boat on my overhead trolly chain hoists to move it around. The transom had been replaced with a fresh one with no holes when I bought the boat. I was shocked to find that the outer layer of glass on both sides is .6" thick. I have never seen such a beefy outer layer on a transom before. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill
    Just spent some time reading this whole thread and I am very impressed with your progress and great ideas! Well done I look forward to the final outcome as I am sure it will be impressive. Did you ever figure out the hin thing? Just curious.
    Parnell

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Cheekz View Post
    Bill
    Just spent some time reading this whole thread and I am very impressed with your progress and great ideas! Well done I look forward to the final outcome as I am sure it will be impressive. Did you ever figure out the hin thing? Just curious.
    Parnell
    Parnell,
    I have been side tracked by quite a few other projects, but I am slowly getting things done on the Magnum. No, I never have found the HIN number, but I will be going back to that since I want to get the title work done before I go much farther with the boat.
    Just yesterday, I bought 1/2" thick walled copper tubing to use as my gas lines from the forward tanks to underneath the floor to the engine compartment. They will be secured with ss clasps with the rubber liners to the center keel stringer. When I install the main floor, I do not want to ever have to have a problem with them or I would have to cut up the flooring. My 1971 18' Donzi used a copper fuel line that is still intact, so I figured that it was a good choice.
    I have made the floor panels with the step down cutouts so I am about ready to install the main flooring. I glassed additional supports for the drop down seats along with the lips for the cutouts and the back attaching pieces which will be screwed and glassed to the back 27" of flooring and brushed on a heavy coat of resin on both sides. I had to make the front 4' of flooring in two pieces to be able to fit into the cockpit - they will be attached at the 4" wide flooring plate mount at the top of the center keel stringer along with the other mounting pads and then glassed down at every outside edge. When I bolted the 2x4s to the outside stringers and the back crossmembers to support the floor, I used a straight edge to get the supports just right for a nice level floor - including across the top of the center stringer mounting pad.
    I have a racing engine mount coming which will mount between two engine stringers I have made, but not installed. They will be placed 33" apart to accomodate the engine mount. I am getting somewhere, but it is going slower than I had hoped. Thanks for the encouraging words. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

More well done work! How come you did not lower the floor for the back seat out of curiosity? Are the tanks always in the place yours are just forward of the drivers bulkhead? How mant gallons is the standard tanks? I don't remember you saying what drive you are going to use for this project Thanks
    Parnell

More well done work! How come you did not lower the floor for the back seat out of curiosity? Are the tanks always in the place yours are just forward of the drivers bulkhead? How mant gallons is the standard tanks? I don't remember you saying what drive you are going to use for this project Thanks
    Parnell
    I made the drop down areas for the driver and front passenger only if they want to lift the main floor plate out of the way to step down about 8.5" for standing. Otherwise the floor will be at the regular height. I saw no reason to drop the back seat area for any passengers. The recesses can also be used for storage as they are 4' long. Magnum typically mounted the two 50 gallon tanks (standard size) under the floor of the front cabin, although many have tried under the main floor and even in the engine compartment sides with mixed results (sometimes a combination of 2 locations). From what I have gleaned from talking to others is that up front makes the best sense for pounding waves. The tanks have 3 baffles built in to help stabilized the gas. Right now I am still leaning towards a Bravo III drive with the counter rotating props to help eliminate the need for external steering, but I also have a TRS speedmaster II drive that might be used as a sort of retro bullet drive. Quite honestly, I have not finalized the drive plan. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thanks for all the info and continued success in your resto Keep the updates coming
    Parnell

Too many projects

I have had my time stolen by too many projects recently, but I have managed to get a little work done on the Magnum. I finally decided to line the subfloor with truck bedliner rolled on for good grip and water resiliency. I have made the main floor pieces and run the copper 1/2" fuel line secured to the center stringer under the subfloor with ss clamps with rubber liners. I will make the aft portions of the fuel lines and attach them to the manual fuel block crossover with filters that I put together before installing the rear section of the main floor which is also made. The crossover will only be accessible from the engine compartment or by reaching under the rear seat to the back side of the engine compartment bulkhead on the bottom of the rear seat. I almost broke down and installed a motorized fuel crossover switch, but I could not justify the expense since I will be running from both tanks most of the time. Onwards, Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Well done Bill
    Do you have any idea where to get the compass that is mounted to the deck? Posts for the deck? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Parnell

Also I don't know if anyone has asked this or posted this but it seems mine had 4 forward tanks for fuel Was that normal? The forward two were removed Thanks

Well done Bill
    Do you have any idea where to get the compass that is mounted to the deck? Posts for the deck? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Parnell

Also I don't know if anyone has asked this or posted this but it seems mine had 4 forward tanks for fuel Was that normal? The forward two were removed Thanks
    Parnell,
    What compass does yours have? By posts for the deck, are you talking about the lifeline posts on the deck? Bud Weisner (Mr. Vinyl) told me he has a line on where to get replacement lifeline post hardware. Where exactly were your fuel tanks located? I believe the only two that the factory would have installed are two 50 gallon tanks under the floor of the cabin. Did yours have two more in the next bulkhead section forward of the cabin bulkhead? Maybe Aaron or Mark can chime in here. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Nice Progress Bill!
    Just how do you chose which boat to work on???
    My Magnum 27 has two tanks located like Bill's .. AFAIK this is the stock production set up . . there have been posts on other forums where some boats had tanks loacted aft under the cockpit floors for racing, but thta the best blance seems to be from the forward stock location.
    Bill, I'm curious, your floor cutouts . . . will you be able to stand on two feet and still be centered behind the steering wheel location, or are you locating that more towards the center line?
    The bow life line set up lower stantion pieces are unique and I have not had any luck in fionding anything even close from the present manufacturers. Most are designed to run along the deck edge and have a 3rd support cast in where as the stock Magnum piece only has supports fore and aft. If you need pics, let me know. I just had mine replated and am completing installation.

Mario L.

1969 Corsican
    1968 Magnum 27

Quote Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
    Nice Progress Bill!
    Just how do you chose which boat to work on???
    My Magnum 27 has two tanks located like Bill's .. AFAIK this is the stock production set up . . there have been posts on other forums where some boats had tanks loacted aft under the cockpit floors for racing, but thta the best blance seems to be from the forward stock location.
    Bill, I'm curious, your floor cutouts . . . will you be able to stand on two feet and still be centered behind the steering wheel location, or are you locating that more towards the center line?
    The bow life line set up lower stantion pieces are unique and I have not had any luck in fionding anything even close from the present manufacturers. Most are designed to run along the deck edge and have a 3rd support cast in where as the stock Magnum piece only has supports fore and aft. If you need pics, let me know. I just had mine replated and am completing installation.

Mario L.

1969 Corsican
    1968 Magnum 27
    Mario,
    That has been a real problem for me recently - deciding what project to tackle next. With our Fall weather almost here, I have decided to concentrate on getting some of my boats out for my favorite boating season before the cold really hits. This means the Magnum will be put on hold for a while. Surprisingly, my wife really likes a 20' Wellcraft Elite that I really bought as an investment to sell for some profit - now it looks like I will have to keep it for a while. We cleaned it up and installed the teak wood that I refinished with Sikkens Cetol and fired it up last Thursday for the first time and it runs perfect - it has a few extras like CD player, Bennett tabs, new upholstery, and through hull exhaust. I can't say I only have $2000 tied up in any other of my running boats!
    Yes, I will be able to stand right behind the steering wheel of the Magnum since the wheel is mounted to the left side of the dash console. I will be having the ss drop down wrap around seat frames custom made locally and have a local upholsterer make the seating. The floor panels that will open for standing should be plently large for standing where I need to be without being crimped. I spent quite a bit of time designing the whole setup to make sure it would work right. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill

The compass cutout and metal round container, for lack of a better word is mounted flush on the deck in front of the captains side fairing I have all the hardware except the compass itself Not sure if a regular compass will fit or what I have to start looking for. I was referring to the metal poles down the center, lifelines as you call them. I suppose I can have a set custom made, just wondered if they were custom made and if anyone had any.
    I have two fuel tanks under the floor forward of the 1st bulkhead and then they put two more in front of the next bulkhead and then tore them out Graciously they left me the foam to remove One of my favorites ecspecially two bulkheads forward I don't think 100 gallons is enough range for me and I am going to do the same thing you are with the floor leaving me little room aft for tanks.

Mario If you could get a couple of closeups of the poles and the ends were they are connected it would be greatly helpful. Thanks
    Parnell

BTW Bill Just curious where are you going to put the floor inserts if you decide to lower yourself for a rough water blast? Did you design a way to attach them somewhere or just remove them from the boat for the day?

Thread Information