Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Try this place http://www.marine-sales.com/contact.html they have many hard to find parts not just Chris Craft . I sent Jeff [HallJ] over there and he found a deck bubble for his Magnum.
    Thank you for the link.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
    Bill,
    Below is a picture of what covers my fuel level senders. Made by Perko!, but apparently not made any more.

Mario L.
    Try this place http://www.marine-sales.com/contact.html they have many hard to find parts not just Chris Craft . I sent Jeff [HallJ] over there and he found a deck bubble for his Magnum.
    It took some serious checking around, but I found and have some new sight glass covers coming. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    It took some serious checking around, but I found and have some new sight glass covers coming. Bill
    I got the fuel tank inspection plates in the mail today. They are chrome plated brass with the lens and nicely made pieces. I believe they are the exact same measurements as the originals. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Wow that was fast, Good for you Bill!

So now that you have 2 27' boats needing work, which one will splash first?

Mario L.

Quote Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
    Wow that was fast, Good for you Bill!

So now that you have 2 27' boats needing work, which one will splash first?

Mario L.
    Mario,
    Funny you would pose that question - I have been trying to figure out my best course of action. I learned years ago that trying to complete two or more projects at the same time is not wise for me - I am a project oriented guy who needs to get things checked off my list of things to do or I don't feel like I am getting anywhere. Right now, I am inclined to stick with the Magnum. I am actually beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel with the Magnum even though most people who have seen it think I am nuts when I tell them it should be done later this year. How is your Magnum progressing? Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I now have the boat stripped down to pretty much the bare hull. I am trying to figure out how I want to build up the cockpit floor area. If I ever want to be able to stand while driving, there will have to be a lowered area in the driver position since the original floor height is so high. At first thought, I was going to lower the entire floor, but that will not work without sacrificing the stringers which provide the main longitudinal strength. I am now comtemplating building a drop down box area under the driver which would drop the standing area by about 9". If I install drop down racing bloster seats at the right height, I could sit or stand in the recessed area. I am thinking about making the drop down area have a hinged floor level plate that could either be at regular floor level or flipped out of the way for standing purposes. It could flip forward or backwards, letting me stand on the lower floor by almost 9" difference (a huge difference). I could do the same thing on the passenger side. I had in mind some seats similar to this type. What do you think of the concept, keeping in mind that I really like to stand while driving in rough water? Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTO...4506.m20.l1116

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

On my Magnum Sport even though we had the center fuel tanks there was just enuff room for a 10" deep foot well. With that and the bolster you felt like you could run in any water conditions..

quote=Conquistador_del_mar;518156]I now have the boat stripped down to pretty much the bare hull. I am trying to figure out how I want to build up the cockpit floor area. If I ever want to be able to stand while driving, there will have to be a lowered area in the driver position since the original floor height is so high. At first thought, I was going to lower the entire floor, but that will not work without sacrificing the stringers which provide the main longitudinal strength. I am now comtemplating building a drop down box area under the driver which would drop the standing area by about 9". If I install drop down racing bloster seats at the right height, I could sit or stand in the recessed area. I am thinking about making the drop down area have a hinged floor level plate that could either be at regular floor level or flipped out of the way for standing purposes. It could flip forward or backwards, letting me stand on the lower floor by almost 9" difference (a huge difference). I could do the same thing on the passenger side. I had in mind some seats similar to this type. What do you think of the concept, keeping in mind that I really like to stand while driving in rough water? Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUSTO...4506.m20.l1116[/quote]

On my Magnum Sport even though we had the center fuel tanks there was just enuff room for a 10" deep foot well. With that and the bolster you felt like you could run in any water conditions..
    How did you modify your sport to the side by side bolster seating with no back seats? Was your bow deck extended back or was your engine compartment extended forward? Did the center driver straddle the center 18" stringer or did you cut that down? I am still at the point where I could radically change the cockpit. Thanks in advance, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

How did you modify your sport to the side by side bolster seating with no back seats? Was your bow deck extended back or was your engine compartment extended forward? Did the center driver straddle the center 18" stringer or did you cut that down? I am still at the point where I could radically change the cockpit. Thanks in advance, Bill
    Bill,, My sport had the stock deck & cockpit just like Li'L SMIDGEN.. Wally Harper built the first extended rear hatch that went over the rear seat area. The hatch was a little heavy but looked cool, thats why we put her on my Mag. The guys at Cherokee boats here in Michigan made a mold of that hatch, and made them lighter . When Li'l Smidgef became Seminole Sprit she had the new lighter one. I made the center steer dash, and yes The driver did straddle the center 18" stringer with foot wells on ether side of the stinger. I also cut the back seat out and that made working on the engines easier.. When I made back into a pleasure boat I just cut out part of the hatch, put the rear seat back in and left her a center steer. When I sold her she went back racing, and they fixed the hatch back as it was. As I said you could run in any kind of water.Back in the day these Magnums ran 100+ mile races OFFSHORE, not like today. Unlike what some say on oso about sitdown seats, your legs can take more of a beating than your lower BACK !!!
    Also here are a few pics of my Mag with the full hatch back on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill,, My sport had the stock deck & cockpit just like Li'L SMIDGEN.. Wally Harper built the first extended rear hatch that went over the rear seat area. The hatch was a little heavy but looked cool, thats why we put her on my Mag. The guys at Cherokee boats here in Michigan made a mold of that hatch, and made them lighter . When Li'l Smidgef became Seminole Sprit she had the new lighter one. I made the center steer dash, and yes The driver did straddle the center 18" stringer with foot wells on ether side of the stinger. I also cut the back seat out and that made working on the engines easier.. When I made back into a pleasure boat I just cut out part of the hatch, put the rear seat back in and left her a center steer. When I sold her she went back racing, and they fixed the hatch back as it was. As I said you could run in any kind of water.Back in the day these Magnums ran 100+ mile races OFFSHORE, not like today. Unlike what some say on oso about sitdown seats, your legs can take more of a beating than your lower BACK !!!
    Also here are a few pics of my Mag with the full hatch back on.
    Great! I now see what you did. As you saw in OSO, I gained a 8.25" drop in the secondary floor where you had 10". Since I will be carrying passengers occasionally, I will be staying with the back seat even though I like your layout. I will also stay with a right hand steer, but I think I will be mounting the steering wheel a little to the left side of the console center so it will be straight ahead of me as I stand on the lower floor which has the constraint of the starboard secondary stringer (forcing me to stand a little towards the center of the cockpit). Yes, I agree that my legs can take much more pounding than my back, and I enjoy the slightly better vantage from a higher view than seated. I guess some might think my idea stinks, but I know what I like from past experience. The concept of having both a seat and a standing position can be done if I have figured the layout correctly. I feel like I am starting to get somewhere now. I really appreciate your input, knowledge, and experience. Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

------Bill,,,It would be difficult to have more experience and knowledge than Smidgen Too. He has definetly walked the walk. See you next Saturday, Mark........Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    ------Bill,,,It would be difficult to have more experience and knowledge than Smidgen Too. He has definetly walked the walk. See you next Saturday, Mark........Bill S
    Thanks, Cant wait to see the Fino..

Great! I now see what you did. As you saw in OSO, I gained a 8.25" drop in the secondary floor where you had 10". Since I will be carrying passengers occasionally, I will be staying with the back seat even though I like your layout. I will also stay with a right hand steer, but I think I will be mounting the steering wheel a little to the left side of the console center so it will be straight ahead of me as I stand on the lower floor which has the constraint of the starboard secondary stringer (forcing me to stand a little towards the center of the cockpit). Yes, I agree that my legs can take much more pounding than my back, and I enjoy the slightly better vantage from a higher view than seated. I guess some might think my idea stinks, but I know what I like from past experience. The concept of having both a seat and a standing position can be done if I have figured the layout correctly. I feel like I am starting to get somewhere now. I really appreciate your input, knowledge, and experience. Bill
    In my old Mirage I had the bolster with the seat drop out,, the best of both worlds.

In my old Mirage I had the bolster with the seat drop out,, the best of both worlds.
    Mark,
    Thanks again for the picture. That is exactly the type seating I plan to incorporate with a little higher backs on the seats. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Considering that I was out of town moving my mother for a week and the 100+ degree days down here in north Texas, I have been sort of slow on the Magnum project. I finally built, glassed, and painted the subfloor so I can stand while driving. Tomorrow, I should build the main floor, and then I can get to the engine room stringers. I will be cutting out some panels in the main floor that will hinge out of the way when I want to stand. Here are a few pictures from today. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information