Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Freebie!

A friend of mine had tracked the 27' Aero at a local marina, and the marina owner told him he could have it if he could come get it since he was tired of trying to talk to the owner who was delinquent. Mike went down today and got it loaded on a trailer. It will need some work, but it is hard to beat a free 27' Magnum knockoff! Here is a link to the boat from earlier. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost...4&postcount=64

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    A friend of mine had tracked the 27' Aero at a local marina, and the marina owner told him he could have it if he could come get it since he was tired of trying to talk to the owner who was delinquent. Mike went down today and got it loaded on a trailer. It will need some work, but it is hard to beat a free 27' Magnum knockoff! Here is a link to the boat from earlier. Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost...4&postcount=64
    You can't beat FREE !!!!!

Not much to show yet.

I have been dragging on my Magnum restoration. Today, I finished building new wood floor pieces in the cabin over the fuel tanks. I have removed the tanks, cleaned them, fiberglassed them, reinstalled them with foam, and built this new floor to go over them. Just removing the old shag carpet from the cabin was hard work with the old glue that they used. I gelcoated the ceiling, sides, and bulkheads after removing the carpet and grinding the surface (nasty work). The fuel gauges and tank outlets are temped into place, but I will have to finalize the fittings and interior of the cabin later. I would like to find some glass inspection plates to go over the fuel level gauges.
    I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with a man who has raced Magnums at the suggestion of Jeff. The man has a great wealth of knowledge about what I need to get this boat running 70+MPH - all fairly affordable. I felt much better about the whole single engine idea after talking to him - Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I have been dragging on my Magnum restoration. Today, I finished building new wood floor pieces in the cabin over the fuel tanks. I have removed the tanks, cleaned them, fiberglassed them, reinstalled them with foam, and built this new floor to go over them. Just removing the old shag carpet from the cabin was hard work with the old glue that they used. I gelcoated the ceiling, sides, and bulkheads after removing the carpet and grinding the surface (nasty work). The fuel gauges and tank outlets are temped into place, but I will have to finalize the fittings and interior of the cabin later. I would like to find some glass inspection plates to go over the fuel level gauges.
    I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with a man who has raced Magnums at the suggestion of Jeff. The man has a great wealth of knowledge about what I need to get this boat running 70+MPH - all fairly affordable. I felt much better about the whole single engine idea after talking to him - Bill
    Did you talk with Roger Munn?....
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by superhatz View Post
    Did you talk with Roger Munn?....
    No, but Roger is a good friend of Mel's - in fact they apparently got together in just the last month. There is nothing like talking to the guys who have walked the talk. You might find it interesting that Mel's 27 Magnum weighs in at 4300lbs with engine and empty fuel tanks - that is almost 2000lbs lighter than most from my understanding. He honestly does not know why it was laid up so light. Another interesting note is that he admitted that moving the fuel tanks under the cockpit floor was a mistake - he would have left them under the cabin floor if he had known the resulting light bow problems while racing it in rough seas. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

No, but Roger is a good friend of Mel's - in fact they apparently got together in just the last month. There is nothing like talking to the guys who have walked the talk. You might find it interesting that Mel's 27 Magnum weighs in at 4300lbs with engine and empty fuel tanks - that is almost 2000lbs lighter than most from my understanding. He honestly does not know why it was laid up so light. Another interesting note is that he admitted that moving the fuel tanks under the cockpit floor was a mistake - he would have left them under the cabin floor if he had known the resulting light bow problems while racing it in rough seas. Bill
    Oh...right, Mel....yeah, lots of experience with a single 27 Sport.

As far as light layup...I've heard a few stories about some early Sports being pretty light...maybe they'd do it for some race customers...
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

[quote= The man has a great wealth of knowledge about what I need to get this boat running 70+MPH - all fairly affordable. I felt much better about the whole single engine idea after talking to him - Bill[/quote]

Bill, could you share a little of that wealth? I'm curious as heck as to what
    single power would be fairly affordable and (also) get the heavy side of a Magnum to 70+............................................... .Thanks
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Bill, could you share a little of that wealth? I'm curious as heck as to what
    single power would be fairly affordable and (also) get the heavy side of a Magnum to 70+............................................... .Thanks
    Mel said he got to 70+ with a simple 502/509 (.30 over 502) and Bravo drive. He got to a maximum of 84 with a 540 with Merlin heads, 12:1 compression pistons, and a Crane racing cam with the same Bravo drive and a Bravo 4 blade prop. Since his boat is so light, I was thinking that I would need about 600-650HP and a Bravo or equivalent drive. It won't be real inexpensive, but compared to making twin engine packages, it will. I will get more tips and post them later. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill,
    Nice progress! I to have been hard at work on mine . . but little time to share the work . .
    You asked about covers for the fuel tank gages, my boat has two very nice chrome bezel glass covers screwed to the wood as you described. I'll post some pics as mine are off the boat right now as I also just replaced my floor panels over the tanks. Seems as though they used a nasty adhesive for the carpet, yikes, it's almost easier to grind the stuff off!
    The bulkhead forward of your tanks, is that original? the opening is so small . . Curious, as my boat came w/o that and I had to replace it to support a sagging deck pulled down by the rear stanchion of the lifeline.
    Can you tell who made your fuel level gages? One of mine has a cracked screw on cover and consequently won't allow me to seal the sender . . obviously a safety hazard!

Mario L.

1968 Magnum 27
    1969 Corsican

Quote Originally Posted by mphatc View Post
    Bill,
    Nice progress! I to have been hard at work on mine . . but little time to share the work . .
    You asked about covers for the fuel tank gages, my boat has two very nice chrome bezel glass covers screwed to the wood as you described. I'll post some pics as mine are off the boat right now as I also just replaced my floor panels over the tanks. Seems as though they used a nasty adhesive for the carpet, yikes, it's almost easier to grind the stuff off!
    The bulkhead forward of your tanks, is that original? the opening is so small . . Curious, as my boat came w/o that and I had to replace it to support a sagging deck pulled down by the rear stanchion of the lifeline.
    Can you tell who made your fuel level gages? One of mine has a cracked screw on cover and consequently won't allow me to seal the sender . . obviously a safety hazard!

Mario L.

1968 Magnum 27
    1969 Corsican
    Mario,
    Yep, mine had a sort of reddish glue on the carpet, and it was a bear to chip off - maybe worse than the flammable yellow glue.
    Yes, the bulkheads in mine are original, and I will be adding an extra support over the cabin. The cabin floor pieces are 6'1" long and a total of 54" from side to side. I doubt that I could fine some inspection covers like you have, but I would like to see what they look like. I can check on Saturday, but my memory is that the gauge floats are made by Rochelle. I will edit this post if they are another manufactured brand. Are you running your Magnum yet? Speed? Handling? Bill

Edit correction: The fuel gauges are made by Rochester.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill,
    did you say running . . ? sadly no, my business is busy, so in this economy that has been the focus, I get 1/2 a day per week for the Magnum . .
    This week I get a whole day to play!

here's a brief list what has has been done . .
    made new floors for the fuel tank covers, same size as yours.
    replacing all the fuel lines and redoing the fuel tank grounds.
    Rebuilt both Volvo drives and the intermediate shafts, this is worth a separate thread with all the old Volvo drives on this board.
    Removed the head and repaired the thru hull port from that install.
    Built the new bulkhead and raised the deck.
    Replaced both shift cables.
    Had the upholstery repaired . . did I ever post pics of what this boat looked like inside when I bought it??
    Refinished the drives in epoxy and a Volvo white
    Removed the old Vee windshield and am waiting on my new acrylic to show up. I'll build a windsheild similar to the new Banana 24.
    One engine is still out, today I am replacing the drive bellows and sealing up the transom.
    The old trim tabs have been removed and for now I'll install a larger set of Bennetts as I have them.
    and lastly I had all the chrome items replated, and moved my red and green nav lights to the very front of the deck.
    two new blower motors . . need to share with folks how I mounted these, very simple and clean! and cool!
    I'll try to post some pics on another thread to not derail this thread. and will post pics of the fuel sender covers for you.
    Got to go, I have a boat calling!
    Mario L.
    1968 Magnum 27
    1969 Donzi Corsican

fuel level port windows

Bill,
    Below is a picture of what covers my fuel level senders. Made by Perko!, but apparently not made any more.

Mario L.

Bill,
    did you say running . . ? sadly no, my business is busy, so in this economy that has been the focus, I get 1/2 a day per week for the Magnum . .
    This week I get a whole day to play!

here's a brief list what has has been done . .
    made new floors for the fuel tank covers, same size as yours.
    replacing all the fuel lines and redoing the fuel tank grounds.
    Rebuilt both Volvo drives and the intermediate shafts, this is worth a separate thread with all the old Volvo drives on this board.
    Removed the head and repaired the thru hull port from that install.
    Built the new bulkhead and raised the deck.
    Replaced both shift cables.
    Had the upholstery repaired . . did I ever post pics of what this boat looked like inside when I bought it??
    Refinished the drives in epoxy and a Volvo white
    Removed the old Vee windshield and am waiting on my new acrylic to show up. I'll build a windsheild similar to the new Banana 24.
    One engine is still out, today I am replacing the drive bellows and sealing up the transom.
    The old trim tabs have been removed and for now I'll install a larger set of Bennetts as I have them.
    and lastly I had all the chrome items replated, and moved my red and green nav lights to the very front of the deck.
    two new blower motors . . need to share with folks how I mounted these, very simple and clean! and cool!
    I'll try to post some pics on another thread to not derail this thread. and will post pics of the fuel sender covers for you.
    Got to go, I have a boat calling!
    Mario L.
    1968 Magnum 27
    1969 Donzi Corsican
    You have been busy, Mario. What size Bennetts are you going to use? Here is a link to the Rochester fuel gauges that I found. Bill

http://www.rochestergauges.com/Pages/PDFs/8200.pdf

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill,
    Below is a picture of what covers my fuel level senders. Made by Perko!, but apparently not made any more.

Mario L.
    Yep, I have been looking around for something like those. My boat did not have them. Thanks, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill,

Mario L.
    Try this place http://www.marine-sales.com/contact.html they have many hard to find parts not just Chris Craft . I sent Jeff [HallJ] over there and he found a deck bubble for his Magnum.

Thread Information