Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Yeah, that makes sense! Good luck with your project! It's coming out nice if I must say!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    Of no relevance, but maybe interesting. . .

Many of the older fiberglass tanks were made before anyone even imagined that there would be ethanol mixed in with gas, so the resins used were never designed to be able to withstand ethanol.

Since this is now a known problem, new tanks are designed to withstand the effects of ethanol.

Any old tank that now holds E-10 gas, will have other problems as well. The alcohol is a stronger solvent than gas, and will loosen up gunk that had accumulated on the tank walls/baffles and clog fuel filters, and potentially cause other fuel delivery problems.

Also, alcohol is very hydrophilic and will attract more water to the fuel. At some point this will lead to separation of the fuel into a water layer, alcohol layer and gas layer, with the water on the bottom, where the intake is. The same thing happens in cars, but the fuel is burned through so quickly it rarely has time to develop into a problem.

Most folks probably burn through gas in their Donzis quickly too. The problem becomes a "boat stopper" when you have a craft that holds 100s of gallons that can sit for several months without being used up.

So far, we are lucky, at least on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan in that at most marinas, marine gas doesn't contain ethanol, yet.
    I stoped in this week at the marina here on Lake St Clair thats building the engines for the Cary. They said alcohol blended gas is the only fuel that they can buy this year. They had to spend lots of $$$$$$ to get there tanks cleaned to use it. I guess I'm lucky my Cobra, Mirage, & Chris Craft all have aluminium tanks. I have been using road gas that must had some alcohol in it, so far so good ????

Bill, GREAT JOB !! no short cut's here !

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    I stoped in this week at the marina here on Lake St Clair thats building the engines for the Cary. They said alcohol blended gas is the only fuel that they can buy this year. They had to spend lots of $$$$$$ to get there tanks cleaned to use it. I guess I'm lucky my Cobra, Mirage, & Chris Craft all have aluminium tanks. I have been using road gas that must had some alcohol in it, so far so good ????
    I have been dreading when this might happen on Lake Michigan. Our CARVER holds 280 gallons of gas, which means it is going to sit for a while. This sitting just invites the problems I mentioned above.

The alcohol not only loosens up crap on the inside of the tank, but it does the same to anything that might be in the fuel lines. It also is much harder on the fuel lines, especially those not designed for use with alcohol. And, it can deteriorate any gaskets it comes in contact with.

So far, so good is good. I haven't checked any of the marinas on this side of the state, but last year during our boat trip, they all said they were straight gas.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Bill, GREAT JOB !! no short cut's here !
    This one needs so many aspects of restoration that I decided to tackle from the bow deck and work down and back. When I get it done, I don't want to look back and say "I really should have addressed that potential problem". Thanks, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    I have been dreading when this might happen on Lake Michigan. Our CARVER holds 280 gallons of gas, which means it is going to sit for a while. This sitting just invites the problems I mentioned above.

The alcohol not only loosens up crap on the inside of the tank, but it does the same to anything that might be in the fuel lines. It also is much harder on the fuel lines, especially those not designed for use with alcohol. And, it can deteriorate any gaskets it comes in contact with.

So far, so good is good. I haven't checked any of the marinas on this side of the state, but last year during our boat trip, they all said they were straight gas.
    I am now curious what gas our local marinas and nearby land stations are carrying. I remember having problems with my Aeroquip fuel lines on my Eliminator - I now wonder if it was a load of ethanol that did it. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

I didn't get a far as I had hoped this week, but I did lay in the new 1/4" Divinycell on the deck. I filled the void where I had cut out the balsa core back about 1" with polyester resin paste and fiberglass chopped strands, followed by laying a heavy sheet of fiberglass mat, and then the Divinycell sheets. I made sure the polyester paste mixture squeezed out to the edge of the Divinycell core material, and pressed the Divinycell sheets firmly into the fresh resin and fiberglass. When I came back, it was solid as a rock. Now I only need to grind back the edges and lay another sheet or two on the surface. Bingo! Almost a new deck after working it down to smooth with an air file followed by filler paste and gelcoat. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

27' Mag sport decks

Can anyboby tell me how many different deck molds were available for the
    1976 27' Mag sport? - I've seen flat decks w/ straight wind screens.
    and I've seen triangular recessed decks w/ pointed wind screens and straight fairings as well, but not sure if there were more available or just
    optional combinations...................................... ...............Thanks
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Can anyboby tell me how many different deck molds were available for the
    1976 27' Mag sport? - I've seen flat decks w/ straight wind screens.
    and I've seen triangular recessed decks w/ pointed wind screens and straight fairings as well, but not sure if there were more available or just
    optional combinations...................................... ...............Thanks
    All 27 Sports had the triangular insert...but some have been filled in over the years.

There were both flat and pointed windscreen versions.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

After spending 4 days in San Antonio, I got back to the deck on the Magnum today. Before I left, I had ground the edges of the pentagonal shaped area to be fiberglassed and laid one sheet of heavy mat on the Divinycell with 3.3 gallons of polyester resin for good coverage. I then laid and stretched sheets of wax paper to help it cure and lay flat as possible. Today I pulled the wax paper and ground it to a workable flat surface. The next step will be to fill the slightly low area with polyester resin putty and work it down to a smooth surface with the air file sander. I stepped all over the surface which is now very stiff, and it held the form after releasing the supports from underneath which were in place during the rebuilding process. It is a little ugly right now, but it will really take shape after a few air file sessions with the putty. Onwards, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Bill, I don't remember, but is this repair being done with the deck
    off? If not, must be a b*t**h to crawl through the bulk heads to
    support the underside of the repair. gonna be nice though!
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Bill, I don't remember, but is this repair being done with the deck
    off? If not, must be a b*t**h to crawl through the bulk heads to
    support the underside of the repair. gonna be nice though!
    Yep, I must have crawled in and out at least 15 times to check the heights after installing support plates and rods to prop up the plywood plates. I am not nearly as nimble as I was years ago, either - lol. When getting to the very front, there are 3 bulkheads to get through. I debated taking the deck off, but I decided this was actually easier. I might add that I never quite understood how someone could get the deck right when it was downside up after removing it. It always seemed like it would be difficult to get right so the deck would fit correctly after making the repairs as well as determining the contours. In my case I can see the contours after every adjustment. Still a pain, though. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I did not take any pictures, but today I finished gelcoating the deck. I rolled on a heavy coat of white gelcoat followed by spraying on a coat of Partall to help with the cure. By this afternoon, I was able to start sanding the gelcoat, but my back was worn out so I did some repairs to the bow nose. I believe the deck will look like new. On another note, I thought about having to make a new engine cover since it was lost when the seller drove it down to Missouri where I met him. I have about decided to make one where it follows the same radius curves of the back air scoops. It will have an intake area at the front and drop down like the side air intakes to the aft end. In other words, it will look like the sides, but it will have to be much smaller to follow the same angle lines back to the rear of the engine cover. This will take some work, but I think it will look great. Onwards, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

[ I thought about having to make a new engine cover since it was lost when the seller drove it down to Missouri where I met him. I have about decided to make one where it follows the same radius curves of the back air scoops. It will have an intake area at the front and drop down like the side air intakes to the aft end. In other words, it will look like the sides, but it will have to be much smaller to follow the same angle lines back to the rear of the engine cover. This will take some work, but I think it will look great. Onwards, Bill[/quote]
    Bill,
    Will it match the 2 side air vent grilles? They are (in my opinion) one
    of the best signature styles on the 27 sport. What material are you going to use? I would imagine something light but strong. Do save the template,
    I might be very interested
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Bill,
    Will it match the 2 side air vent grilles? They are (in my opinion) one
    of the best signature styles on the 27 sport. What material are you going to use? I would imagine something light but strong. Do save the template,
    I might be very interested
    Yes, the engine cover will match the side vent design - even following the same radius curves and slope, just smaller due to being set back a little. It will be open in the underside to allow more engine height if needed. I am hoping to use 1/2" Divinycell for the base and 1/4" for the curved sides so it will be strong and light weight. The forward facing section will also have the same slope as the side vents and will have matching louvered venting. I will have to make it from scratch so there will not be any left over mold, but I will be able to get you the pattern.
    Did you finalize buying a 27 Magnum yet? If so, I missed seeing which one you decided to buy. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

There should be one sitting in my backyard right after AOTH-
    I won't break the news until then though. The "Humble" hull is
    too pricey and the "project" hull is too far, but Something will
    give lol.
    Bill, I met a guy (old hungarian) down the road from me who
    does fiberglass profiles i.e, statues, busts (not that kind) etc.
    Today, His business is way off - had 4 steady workers before.
    Now he has plenty of time to put up with the likes of me. he's
    repairing the keel of an old sailboat and I find it so fasinating.
    Gino will be 79 and the only thing that slows him down is the
    economy.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thread Information