Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Talking

My hull number is written with paint or carved in wood in different places.

Maybe they signed each piece during the process of fitting everything together.

When I restored my boat and took the "wood" away from the deck I found a message:
    "Charlie - I need another beer" was written in glue.

Seems like my boat was very much "hand made"
    Staffan
    Donzi St.Tropez
    Magnum 27 Sport 1972 #178
    Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    Laser sailing dinghy
    HiTech Slalom Board

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    Can't resist adding my 2c on this ... I remember when the Aeromarine engines became available and Don started dropping them in his boats .. and racing went to a new level ... They started doing just over 70 mph or so ...
    By comparison with todays speeds I would guess that it must have been like those cable tv ads ... 'Set it and forget it ' ... Don't touch the throttles untill the race is over ... haha . What can go wrong in a heavy 36 foot boat that doesn't even have a top speed of 80 mph ?
    Last summer I went for a spin in a twin engine 24 Skater that had a potential top end of 115 ... We were running in and only took it up to 93 ... I have NO desire to go that fast in a boat any more so all those over 100mph guys can have it all they want !
    Another thing I like about Staffan's boat is that even with only a single it has a nice at rest attitude .
    Funny thing about all the places his hull number was (as a -72) ... Mine as a -73 only had it on the transom ... none anywhere else , believe me .
    Steve
    Steve,
    I agree about the speeds in many of the newer boats. I have a 23' Eliminator Daytona that will approach 100, but I have rarely pushed it that far since it does not feel safe above about 80MPH where I can see and react to what is coming up. On light to medium 2' chop, it feels great to get on top at 65-70MPH where it still feels safe. I don't like to take out friends or family and expose them to anything other than a nice relatively fast ride unless it is smooth. On a side note, the Eliminator tunnel hull will actually go faster up wind since it helps lift the hull by packing the air under the hull. I certainly can not understand guys wanting to make their boats go faster than they were ever really intended, especially to the point of being dangerous. In my book, if someone really wants to go faster, they should wait until they can afford a larger hull more intended for the speed instead of packing more HP into a smaller boat - my two cents also.
    Thanks for the information on your hull number location. I am starting to get concerned that I might not find my HIN after all. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Staffan Berg View Post
    My hull number is written with paint or carved in wood in different places.

Maybe they signed each piece during the process of fitting everything together.

When I restored my boat and took the "wood" away from the deck I found a message:
    "Charlie - I need another beer" was written in glue.

Seems like my boat was very much "hand made"
    Now that is funny about the message written in glue! I actually found a beer can in an inaccessable place in a boat once so I know it was placed there at the factory. I have given my new project Magnum a pretty good once over for the HIN, but it still might show up when I get around to stripping it all the way. I checked out the underside of the deck and console as well as the stringers, bulkheads, and crossmembers and obviously the transom. Thanks, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Bill
    Is it a Magnum ?
    Staffan
    Donzi St.Tropez
    Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    Laser sailing dinghy
    HiTech Slalom Board

Bill
    Is it a Magnum ?
    Staffan,
    I have no doubt that mine is a Magnum 27' sport, but it does not have the quantity of numbers that your boat apparently has. Mine had the transom replaced and gelcoated over. Steve (Morgan's Cloud) also has a 1973 with the HIN only on the transom as he just reported. Typically, these earlier boats had very few HIN numbers. My 1971 Donzi 18' only has a paper thin aluminum plate with some numbers embossed and located behind the back seat - that is all it has for identification. If it were lost or removed, there would be no other identification numbers. I am beginning to think that mine is an earlier model than 1973 which is what it was supposed to be. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Smile

Bill
    Is it a magnum ?

Off course its a magnum - it was a joke.

Anyway - god luck with your restoration.
    Staffan
    Donzi St.Tropez
    Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    Laser sailing dinghy
    HiTech Slalom Board

Bill
    Is it a magnum ?

Off course its a magnum - it was a joke.

Anyway - god luck with your restoration.
    Staffan,
    I thought you were thinking it might be an Aero or another copy boat manufacturer. I will not need any luck - just lots of hard work - lol. I keep coming into my shop and the little elves never seem to have visited over night -

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

1st step

I took about an hour out of my day this afternoon to pull one of the two fuel tanks out of the Magnum 27 sport which I will be restoring. With a 12" Sawsall blade and very little persuation, it came out fairly easily. It is soaking wet under the tank and in the foam, but the tank looks perfect in terms of its integrity with absolutely no corrosion. I will be checking it out better, but I think it is fine (amazingly). I took the measurements and calculated the size when I got home this evening. It comes to a 48.4 gallon size (probably called a 50 gallon tank). Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Foam or rubber carpets

I replaced one of my gas tanks.

I did not know how to put the new back with foam.
    You know thr rubber "carpet" you have in a tent when you are out camping,

I used something like that and the fitted the tank from above with stainless steel looking like this: L

What is your plan ? Are you using foam ?

// Staffan
    Staffan
    Donzi St.Tropez
    Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    Laser sailing dinghy
    HiTech Slalom Board

I replaced one of my gas tanks.

I did not know how to put the new back with foam.
    You know thr rubber "carpet" you have in a tent when you are out camping,

I used something like that and the fitted the tank from above with stainless steel looking like this: L

What is your plan ? Are you using foam ?

// Staffan
    Yes, I will use the two part foam. There are apparently different densities of the foam as I have learned here on the Donzi site. I have always used a foam from a company named BMK with perfect results, but I don't know what density they have always sent to me. A two gallon kit (gallon of A and gallon of part B) will expand to 10 cubic feet. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I have removed both 48 gallon fuel tanks along with all the soaked foam. After close inspection, both tanks will need rebuilding. I also removed the center bow deck insert which is about 10' long and 4 ' wide (a triangular shaped piece) that surprised me in that it is made of a fiberboard. Some of the deck will need rebuilding since there is delamination. I ordered about $700 worth of materials today that I will need for some of the structural aspects of the restoration along with starting to strip the boat down. I will be lowering the floor by about 3" since it sets too high for my liking. That will take it down to the inside corners where the chines make the perpendicular angle from the bottom to the sides. I will start to take and post pictures as I get farther along. Just a quick update. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Yes, I will use the two part foam. There are apparently different densities of the foam as I have learned here on the Donzi site. I have always used a foam from a company named BMK with perfect results, but I don't know what density they have always sent to me. A two gallon kit (gallon of A and gallon of part B) will expand to 10 cubic feet. Bill
    Hi Bill,
    Haven't stopped in a while.
    I think the "powers that be" require 4# density foam for tanks.
    This is the site I've always used;
    http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html
    Of course there's other suppliers.....
    Scroll down to the FOAM-0416 kit. The two (2) one gallon containers weigh 16 # and makes up 4 cu. ft. I guess if the foam's too light, or not dense enough, it might compress and leave everything loose.
    Anyway, I've used this several for tanks and it's worked well.

Good luck w/it.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Hi Bill,
    Haven't stopped in a while.
    I think the "powers that be" require 4# density foam for tanks.
    This is the site I've always used;
    http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html
    Of course there's other suppliers.....
    Scroll down to the FOAM-0416 kit. The two (2) one gallon containers weigh 16 # and makes up 4 cu. ft. I guess if the foam's too light, or not dense enough, it might compress and leave everything loose.
    Anyway, I've used this several for tanks and it's worked well.

Good luck w/it.
    Thanks, George. They apparently make quite a few densities of foam that I can choose from. Their prices seem pretty good, but I will call BMK tomorrow to see how they compare and let you know for future reference. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

I took these pictures right before leaving my shop this evening. The fuel tanks are out and the foam was all removed. I would guess the saturated foam weighed about 90lbs with three lawn size trash bags full of it. I temporarily propped up the deck to see if I could get it right before jumping into rebuilding the rotted center section with 1/2" Divinycell foam core which I will be receiving next week. It will take more support from below deck, but it is going to work fine. I will cut the top fiberglass back to where it is solid and prep the underlying glass for the core material and build it back to a solid fiberglass top layer on the deck with the core as the main strength. I will be filling the hatch hole since I don't plan on having one. Even though Aaron will sigh, I do not plan to keep the triangular deck center piece at this point. I plan to make it a solid deck with very few pieces of hardware. Let the fun begin! Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

*sigh*.......

I trust you Bill.....just don't make it look like this.

1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by superhatz View Post
    *sigh*.......

I trust you Bill.....just don't make it look like this.

Ouch! Isn't that where the expression "this is your boat on drugs" came from - lol. At this point I am still planning on dark blue and white. I will cement my final plans as I get farther along, but I can assure you it will be done in a good conservative venue. I am getting pumped up on the project now. What do you think about my dropping the floor by about 3" or more? It sure seems like the driver stands too high with the present setup. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information