Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Aaron just woke me up with an email.
    Sweden Calling:
    I have my Magnum 27 from 1972 powered with a single engine.
    496HO with Bravo One.
    425hp
    X-mounted as high as possible
    Prop: Mirage 23 55 knots=63.4mph
    Trimmed maximum on flat water.
    Today I use a 4blade bravo 22 for a smoother ride.
    (The children wants to wakeboard)
    After installing the engine in normal position in run very nice in the water but did not have the top speed as mentioned above.
    With the new x-mounted installation its faster but the ride in the water is more nervous. Tight turns is not possible, the prop is cavatating.
    Otherwise - I am very pleased with my single engine setup.
    If I drop something in the engine compartment - I can pick it up the same year.
    The thing with Magnum 27 is:
    You can go fast in any water condition.
    It turns heads.
    It handles very nice in the water.
    About the hull number - I found my number on more than 10 different positions.
    On the wood on the backside of the "cushions" close to the passenger seat.
    On the wood on the opposite side of the "hatch" on the floor. (Under the carpet)
    Inside the cock pit (Steering Wheel / Instruments)
    And most af all:
    Good luck with your work. Take many pictures.
    Staffan
    Magnum 27 Sport
    Donzi St.Tropez
    Porsche Cayman S
    Still married
    Staffan
    Donzi St.Tropez
    Magnum 27 Sport 1972 #178
    Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    Laser sailing dinghy
    HiTech Slalom Board

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    My 1970 16' Donzi did 53mph, I thought I was living on the edge, the 32' Skater did 120mph at Lake X back in 1992 with two 700hp smallblocks. Thats when I was Glade that I was the crew chife and not racing. Today it's all about $$$$$$$ = Speed. I have one friend that has a 47' Apache with 3 1000+hp motors, runs 130+. And my other friend has the old Reliable 40' race Skater, it runs 160+, and these are pleasure boats ??????
    120MPH in 1992 was moving.
    I also thought my 1971 18' was running at the edge whenever I pushed it to the 60MPH mark - and it was. The big cat boats are probably relatively safe comparatively up to a point of certain speeds, but they sure come up on situations fast! Since I have never run those kinds of speeds, I can not really comment on how safe I think they are. One thing I do know is that if there is a mechanical failure, it can end in disaster at speeds over 100MPH much more often compared to speeds in the mid 60s or so. To my knowledge on our Lake Texoma, there has only been one fatality wreck due to high speed mechanical failure and it took 5 lives. Most of our boating fatalities are due to other causes, but I again digress. I do hope that there are not enough high speed fatality boating accidents to make the "powers that be" put a speed limit on our lake. I always fear that day is coming. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Staffan Berg View Post
    Aaron just woke me up with an email.
    Sweden Calling:
    I have my Magnum 27 from 1972 powered with a single engine.
    496HO with Bravo One.
    425hp
    X-mounted as high as possible
    Prop: Mirage 23 55 knots=63.4mph
    Trimmed maximum on flat water.
    Today I use a 4blade bravo 22 for a smoother ride.
    (The children wants to wakeboard)
    After installing the engine in normal position in run very nice in the water but did not have the top speed as mentioned above.
    With the new x-mounted installation its faster but the ride in the water is more nervous. Tight turns is not possible, the prop is cavatating.
    Otherwise - I am very pleased with my single engine setup.
    If I drop something in the engine compartment - I can pick it up the same year.
    The thing with Magnum 27 is:
    You can go fast in any water condition.
    It turns heads.
    It handles very nice in the water.
    About the hull number - I found my number on more than 10 different positions.
    On the wood on the backside of the "cushions" close to the passenger seat.
    On the wood on the opposite side of the "hatch" on the floor. (Under the carpet)
    Inside the cock pit (Steering Wheel / Instruments)
    And most af all:
    Good luck with your work. Take many pictures.
    Staffan
    Magnum 27 Sport
    Donzi St.Tropez
    Porsche Cayman S
    Still married
    Staffan,
    Thank you so much for the information! Do you know how much higher you mounted the drive when you reinstalled it, and how much speed you gained? It will be quite some time before I am at the point of installing power, but I would like to get some better ideas for when I build the engine mount stringers for the single engine I plan to install. Yes, having a single engine makes working in the engine compartment much easier. I'll bet that your boat puts up a huge wake for wakeboarding! I used to like the high wake behind my Donzi so I could jump. Behind your Magnum I could have flown! I will continue looking for my hull numbers using your information - unfortunately many of the places you mentioned are no longer in my project Magnum, but I have lots of places to be explored. Is there any chance you could post some pictures of your Magnum? It sounds great. Thanks again, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Here are some photos Staffan sent me.....a gorgeous example!

Staffan.....what is your hull number?....and did you have to add an engine scoop or raised hatch for the higher x-dim?
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Smile

Hi Aaron - thanks for waking me up.
    My hull number is 178. Sold in St.Tropez, France, in may 1972.
    I found the list of equipment from 1972 in the boat when I got the boat in 2000. I also found a delivery certificate.
    No, I did not raised the hatch when I reinstalled the engine with a higher x-dimension.
    The x-dim is 3 inches higher now. The engine is very close to the hatch.
    The boat is 4 mph faster.
    The boat is winterized and stored 40 feet up in a boat garage.
    I dont have access to the boat but if you (Bill) still are curious in may 2009 I could take som photos of my setup.
    About the hull number.
    Inside the engine compartment on the opposite side of the passenger seat I found a Plastic Label screwed into the wood/plastic, from Magnum Marine with the hull number=178, Max number of passengers=6, Maximum HP=600.
    Staffan
    Donzi St.Tropez
    Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    Laser sailing dinghy
    HiTech Slalom Board

I forgot to tell you:
    I have a Silencer from Mercruiser installed. Mounted on the inside of the transom. I believe it is from the racing division at Mercruiser.
    The boat have a very nice sound.
    I dont know if that is positive or negative for the top speed.
    Staffan
    Donzi St.Tropez
    Boston Whaler 13 Sport
    Laser sailing dinghy
    HiTech Slalom Board

Hey Bill,

Here is another single engine Mag, "Vixen". Powered by a 540. 80 plus MPH.
    With a B1. Mel used to race it but has since converted it back for pleasure boat use. Mel is real nice guy. He would be able to answer your X dim questions for sure. Went for a ride in it last winter around Sanibel Island.
    A very nice running boat. 2003 APBA national champ to boot!

Jeff
    " Just piercing the surface"

What the hell. Here's another pic. Single engine Mag of Billy Martin's, Hustler II. With Roger Munn at the throttles.

Jeff

Hi,

Aaron!

Quote Originally Posted by HallJ View Post
    Hi,

Aaron!
    I promise I won't make you work on the yellow car....
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by superhatz View Post
    Here are some photos Staffan sent me.....a gorgeous example!

Staffan.....what is your hull number?....and did you have to add an engine scoop or raised hatch for the higher x-dim?
    Wow! What a georgeous boat! Even the dash layout is impeccable. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Staffan Berg View Post
    Hi Aaron - thanks for waking me up.
    My hull number is 178. Sold in St.Tropez, France, in may 1972.
    I found the list of equipment from 1972 in the boat when I got the boat in 2000. I also found a delivery certificate.
    No, I did not raised the hatch when I reinstalled the engine with a higher x-dimension.
    The x-dim is 3 inches higher now. The engine is very close to the hatch.
    The boat is 4 mph faster.
    The boat is winterized and stored 40 feet up in a boat garage.
    I dont have access to the boat but if you (Bill) still are curious in may 2009 I could take som photos of my setup.
    About the hull number.
    Inside the engine compartment on the opposite side of the passenger seat I found a Plastic Label screwed into the wood/plastic, from Magnum Marine with the hull number=178, Max number of passengers=6, Maximum HP=600.
    Staffan,
    Thank you again for the information. I actually drove back out to my business tonight to look in the places you mentioned for my HIN, but I still can't find it. I have not given up yet, though. 3" higher X is a fair amount. I will have to weigh loss of tight turning vs top end speed, but I have a long way to go before then. Absolutely, if you have any more pictures, I would love to see them! Bill

Hey Bill,

Here is another single engine Mag, "Vixen". Powered by a 540. 80 plus MPH.
    With a B1. Mel used to race it but has since converted it back for pleasure boat use. Mel is real nice guy. He would be able to answer your X dim questions for sure. Went for a ride in it last winter around Sanibel Island.
    A very nice running boat. 2003 APBA national champ to boot!

Jeff
    Great pictures! Thanks. Seeing the boat out of the water in the 4th picture is inspiring. I keep thinking about installing more power as I see these faster boats. I have plenty of time to worry about the engine later, but I have already scrapped my original idea of installing a 475HP SBC 383CID stroked engine that I already bought since I don't think it will make the torque the 27' needs.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by superhatz View Post
    If I were trying to make a poker run type boat or race, that package might be in the cards. Out of curiosity, I wonder how much that engine/drive package would be. I'm guessing you could buy a nice Dodge Viper for about the same amount. Of course, if you want to buy it for me..................

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

What the hell. Here's another pic. Single engine Mag of Billy Martin's, Hustler II. With Roger Munn at the throttles.

Jeff
    Jeff that is just a cool Mag. Love that 3 man set up. Here are few more shot's of the [#12 Thunder Bird,, Streaker] of Preston Henn.

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    120MPH in 1992 was moving.
    I also thought my 1971 18' was running at the edge whenever I pushed it to the 60MPH mark - and it was. The big cat boats are probably relatively safe comparatively up to a point of certain speeds, but they sure come up on situations fast! Since I have never run those kinds of speeds, I can not really comment on how safe I think they are. One thing I do know is that if there is a mechanical failure, it can end in disaster at speeds over 100MPH much more often compared to speeds in the mid 60s or so. To my knowledge on our Lake Texoma, there has only been one fatality wreck due to high speed mechanical failure and it took 5 lives. Most of our boating fatalities are due to other causes, but I again digress. I do hope that there are not enough high speed fatality boating accidents to make the "powers that be" put a speed limit on our lake. I always fear that day is coming. Bill
    Can't resist adding my 2c on this ... I remember when the Aeromarine engines became available and Don started dropping them in his boats .. and racing went to a new level ... They started doing just over 70 mph or so ...
    By comparison with todays speeds I would guess that it must have been like those cable tv ads ... 'Set it and forget it ' ... Don't touch the throttles untill the race is over ... haha . What can go wrong in a heavy 36 foot boat that doesn't even have a top speed of 80 mph ?
    Last summer I went for a spin in a twin engine 24 Skater that had a potential top end of 115 ... We were running in and only took it up to 93 ... I have NO desire to go that fast in a boat any more so all those over 100mph guys can have it all they want !
    Another thing I like about Staffan's boat is that even with only a single it has a nice at rest attitude .
    Funny thing about all the places his hull number was (as a -72) ... Mine as a -73 only had it on the transom ... none anywhere else , believe me .
    Steve
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information