Thread: Choosing between rocks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Choosing between rocks

Since I am a collector of North American artifacts, I had to choose between these two rocks on ebay over the weekend. I went with the one that will skip over water even though that is a very nice saddleback bannerstone. I will be picking up my new project over this next weekend in northern Missouri since the seller has agreed to meet me half way from Wisconsin to where I live in north Texas. Road trip!! Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...299640881&rd=1

LOL - good one.

Just looking at the title of this post, I thought it should be in the political section....

Every time I see a project like this I think 'yeah...I could do that...it would be fun to start from scratch...' Then I remember what a procrastinator I am and that I'd be distracted by the next shiny object long before I could ever finish something that big.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

I don't think the bannerstone will handle a very large BBC and DP well ....

Please educate me here ... what is the significance of the 'bannerstone' ...
    Steve
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

I'd rethink this
    Bannerstone only requires 1 manpower to really fly over the water...Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    I'd rethink this
    Bannerstone only requires 1 manpower to really fly over the water...Ed
    Yeah, I thought about that after I posted the thread. I should have said only one was made to skip over the water. Bill

Smile

Looks to be one heck of a deal! Good luck with the up coming sweat time!!

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Looks to be one heck of a deal! Good luck with the up coming sweat time!!

Phil
    Yep, lots of sweat time coming up. That's what keeps me trim - lol. Thanks, I thought it was a great deal, too. Just what I was looking for. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    LOL - good one.

Just looking at the title of this post, I thought it should be in the political section....

Every time I see a project like this I think 'yeah...I could do that...it would be fun to start from scratch...' Then I remember what a procrastinator I am and that I'd be distracted by the next shiny object long before I could ever finish something that big.
    I hear you! I had to think about the ramifications of taking this one on. The reality is that it will take me at least 6 months, but I will have a great cruiser when I am done. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan's Cloud View Post
    I don't think the bannerstone will handle a very large BBC and DP well ....

Please educate me here ... what is the significance of the 'bannerstone' ...
    Steve
    Steve,
    The general consensus is that a drilled bannerstone was used as a weight in the slinging of an atlatl spear. However there are some which are considered ceremonial. Here is a double crescent bannerstone in my collection that would be considered ceremonial because the size is too large for practical use. There are many artifacts which the archaeologists are not really sure of usage since the associated wood artifacts are never found except in dry caves. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Since I am a collector of North American artifacts, I had to choose between these two rocks on ebay over the weekend. I went with the one that will skip over water even though that is a very nice saddleback bannerstone. I will be picking up my new project over this next weekend in northern Missouri since the seller has agreed to meet me half way from Wisconsin to where I live in north Texas. Road trip!! Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...299640881&rd=1
    I had a long trip yesterday, but I picked up the Magnum in Rolla, Missouri and ended up driving all the way home last night - arriving at home at 4:00AM this morning -
    Here is a picture of the seller (looks a lot like Hulk Hogan in person) that I took last evening in Rolla. Bill

He looks a lot like Hulk Hogan in the photo too!......

Congrats Bill!!

1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Why a Bravo III?

Quote Originally Posted by fast fun 2 View Post
    Why a Bravo III?
    I want a single in the Magnum restoration and I figure it will handle about 500HP plus it will not require external steering with the counter rotating props (almost no steering torque) plus it is decently reliable and relatively cheap to repair if it does develop problems. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by superhatz View Post
    He looks a lot like Hulk Hogan in the photo too!......

Congrats Bill!!

Thanks, Aaron! I forgot to look for the numbers under the dash today - I was busy trying to make room for it. Thanks again for the auction link and the great picture you sent! Bill

Just bought

Here is one of the pictures I took today outside of my shop building - I will post more pictures of the interior later. It looks great in the shop with the 1971 18' 2+3! Sort of a father/son picture - lol. Bill

I'm excited Bill......is that original gel?
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Thread Information