Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Nice looking boats. I am guessing you can't get Sternpower parts anymore - correct? You probably already know about this 29'9" Magnum race boat for sale. He wants $15,000 but it comes with quite a few parts. Bill
    Apparently you can get Stern Powr parts.....I think they're still around?

Yeah....I'd love to buy the 29'9".....someone needs to rescue it.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Quote Originally Posted by superhatz View Post
    Is it this one?
    If that picture was taken at a Texas marina then it might be the one. Mike didn't tell me much about the boat except that it was an Aero that looked like a Magnum 27. I can ask him tomorrow about the colors.

I'm not sure on the quality?......there is a 28 Aero on Ebay, is that the one?

Here's the 27 Sport copy made by Aero......the boat on the right looks like the one on Ebay.

Areo marine, Lancer marine, Predator, and yes Awesome, and more!! were boat companies here in Michigan,, by the same guy Jim Clem. The 27' vee bottom's were a copy made off the Magnum sport [Double Vision] . Most of the 24'&27' vee bottom boats Jim built were single engine with STERNPOWER IO's. The Stern Power drive's were a updated version of the old Dana drive found on house boats in the late 60's. The drives are quite strong and the trans is a Velvet Drive72c by B W.
    I believe they are still made, and go by Stern Powr BX series now.
    The glass work in the boats was not that bad , and if you rigged it youself you had a Magnum copy for half the price. The decks were the same only difference no skid were the wood insert was, also they did not have the chrome intake vents on the side,, just holes or screens. But I must say it still wasnt a Magnum, I had both. I rigged the MARIAH with the owner and it turned out very nice. The [DANGEROUS , PREDATOR] also was a Aero and one of the few that had a good racing career, it also raced as Mr Zip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I knew you'd chime in eventually Mark.....
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

-------Smidgen is correct. Jim built these Aeros. That "Quixotic" Aero is still around. Its at a marine salvage place on 26 mile road outside Marine City next to the Marine City airport. The building is actually the old "Awesome" plant. Its been for sale by almost everyone who ever owned it shortly after they got it from what I can tell. It has twin small-blocks and Sternpowers. I have yet to see it underway. I think I have heard bad stories about some Aeros. I believe the stories were wrapped around the wood used, but its possible that I have the stories confused with later boats built by a son??? Somebody that was wrapped up with Awesome cats left quite a trail of disgruntled people in thier wake.........Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
    -------Smidgen is correct. Jim built these Aeros. That "Quixotic" Aero is still around. Its at a marine salvage place on 26 mile road outside Marine City next to the Marine City airport. The building is actually the old "Awesome" plant. Its been for sale by almost everyone who ever owned it shortly after they got it from what I can tell. It has twin small-blocks and Sternpowers. I have yet to see it underway. I think I have heard bad stories about some Aeros. I believe the stories were wrapped around the wood used, but its possible that I have the stories confused with later boats built by a son??? Somebody that was wrapped up with Awesome cats left quite a trail of disgruntled people in thier wake.........Bill S
    Bill I sometimes hate to admit it but I bought the first offshore boat from Jim back in 1974, a 24' Cheetah. Then all my friends bought from him the rest is history. The price was right and I even bought 2 hulls from him that I rigged. In the beginning you could buy a blank hull made by Cheetah of California not bad hulls, just had to be rigged right. Around 1977 he made a mold off the Magnum, and started building the compleat boat [Lancer Marine]. The biggest problem was how they were rigged, [one size bolt fits all,, just add washers] and the parts used. The company name change many times and I had to step away. The MARIAH was a good hull but it did also have wood problems. Years later when his son toolk over I heard way to much, The sons wife Maria had been cutting my hair for about 20 years. You sure can hear alot when getting your hair cut. Jim had a good idea but with success somtimes you change.

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Nice looking boats. I am guessing you can't get Sternpower parts anymore - correct? You probably already know about this 29'9" Magnum race boat for sale. He wants $15,000 but it comes with quite a few parts. Bill
    What's the story on this boat? Very nice vintage look. Was the 29'9" a production hull or only made for racing?
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

Quote Originally Posted by smidgen too View Post
    Areo marine, Lancer marine, Predator, and yes Awesome, and more!! were boat companies here in Michigan,, by the same guy Jim Clem. The 27' vee bottom's were a copy made off the Magnum sport [Double Vision] . Most of the 24'&27' vee bottom boats Jim built were single engine with STERNPOWER IO's. The Stern Power drive's were a updated version of the old Dana drive found on house boats in the late 60's. The drives are quite strong and the trans is a Velvet Drive72c by B W.
    I believe they are still made, and go by Stern Powr BX series now.
    The glass work in the boats was not that bad , and if you rigged it youself you had a Magnum copy for half the price. The decks were the same only difference no skid were the wood insert was, also they did not have the chrome intake vents on the side,, just holes or screens. But I must say it still wasnt a Magnum, I had both. I rigged the MARIAH with the owner and it turned out very nice. The [DANGEROUS , PREDATOR] also was a Aero and one of the few that had a good racing career, it also raced as Mr Zip.
    Thanks for the information. I didn't spend much time looking, but I could not find much information about Stern Powr drives (Power is spelled with no e). Here is their website with almost no information. Bill
    http://www.sternpowr.com/index.html

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by cutwater View Post
    What's the story on this boat? Very nice vintage look. Was the 29'9" a production hull or only made for racing?
    It was made for racing. It has some beefy structural components and needs to be restored. I believe most of the parts are there. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Magnum project

Here are a few pictures I took yesterday afternoon - yep, it will need some serious TLC! Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

About once a year a boat like the Magnum 29'9" comes around... And I always sit here trying to convince myself that it DOES NOT need a loving home, while also reminding myself that this would not be the best move for me financially...

Plus, how do you get a 30' boat to Tennessee when you don't even own a tow vehicle at the present time? Why do I torment myself like this?
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

About once a year a boat like the Magnum 29'9" comes around... And I always sit here trying to convince myself that it DOES NOT need a loving home, while also reminding myself that this would not be the best move for me financially...

Plus, how do you get a 30' boat to Tennessee when you don't even own a tow vehicle at the present time? Why do I torment myself like this?
    Yeah but you'd be the envy of all.....

Seriously....buy the boat.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

You could always rent a good size truck for a weekend. You are right - boats like this don't become available very often. I seriously thought about buying it, but I had this other project in mind. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Plus, how do you get a 30' boat to Tennessee when you don't even own a tow vehicle at the present time?
    Are you telling me nobody on this board would volunteer some truck time to pick up a boat for you in exchange for a little gas money?

Come on, there are plenty of enablers here! Surely somebody would help you dive into debt!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

I'm excited Bill......is that original gel?
    Aaron,
    After checking it out today, the original gelcoat was definitely a light green. I looked for any numbers under the console, etc. but I could not find any. Is there any chance the numbers were hidden any other place like under the rubrail or on one of the stringers? It would be great to find out the real hull number since I will have to get a title for it. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thread Information