Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Choosing between rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Cheekz View Post
    Thanks Scippy
    I measured mine today while I was working and mine are 57 43 and 47 from the entrance bulkhead forward with 4 total also. I wonder what the purpose of that little compartment was? Probably never know

Parnell
    To me (and it's just a guess) the 16" that forms the little compartment is a result of custom fitting the fuel tanks snuggly, thus the leftover forms a little compartment..........anybody buying that???
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

My fuel tank space is exactly the same as yours and then they put the bulkhead in on mine so why make the extra room before a bulkhead in yours We need measurements from a few other people to spot a trend
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    To me (and it's just a guess) the 16" that forms the little compartment is a result of custom fitting the fuel tanks snuggly, thus the leftover forms a little compartment..........anybody buying that???
    My fuel tank space is exactly the same as yours and then they put the bulkhead in on mine so why make the extra room before a bulkhead in yours We need measurements from a few other people to spot a trend
    Parnell
    Mine had the same area ahead of the tanks, but they did not lay in a partition like Scippy's. In mine, there was some foam up there but the void was not completely filled with the foam. I actually used to wonder why they did not make the tanks longer to fill the entire space. That might be a great solution to your wanting more fuel capacity, Parnell. By my rough calculations, you would add about 15 gallons per tank if you had some made to fill the entire space - 65 gallons/tank might be enough to make you think twice about having more tanks designed and all the associated plumbing? Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Mine had the same area ahead of the tanks, but they did not lay in a partition like Scippy's. In mine, there was some foam up there but the void was not completely filled with the foam. I actually used to wonder why they did not make the tanks longer to fill the entire space. That might be a great solution to your wanting more fuel capacity, Parnell. By my rough calculations, you would add about 15 gallons per tank if you had some made to fill the entire space - 65 gallons/tank might be enough to make you think twice about having more tanks designed and all the associated plumbing? Bill
    Bill, Do you think there would be any structual consequence if I removed that partition?........Hmmmmmmm, I like the idea you have about taking advantage of the extra space w/ larger tanks, but maybe a C of G issue was the reason? - mine is a '76 wondering if any other same model year boats share this.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Bill I wish I could but my tank ends at the bulkhead and I don't have that added space My next space after the bulkhead has that space in it My bulkheads are a little more evenly spaced. Theoritically I could move the bulkhead since there are a few like that but its a lot of work. 15 more per side would do it but I will figure out something
    Scippy I would take that out, order bigger tanks and put a couple of gussetts on the outside of the tank stringers if you think it needed added support

Parnell

Bill I wish I could but my tank ends at the bulkhead and I don't have that added space My next space after the bulkhead has that space in it My bulkheads are a little more evenly spaced. Theoritically I could move the bulkhead since there are a few like that but its a lot of work. 15 more per side would do it but I will figure out something
    Scippy I would take that out, order bigger tanks and put a couple of gussetts on the outside of the tank stringers if you think it needed added support

Parnell
    Hey P, I think I'm gonna do it!!.....Why not gain 15 or 20 gal. aside. just would love to know why they placed them there. Glad I didn't contract the fab for the tanks yet.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Good call. I would way rather have 2 tanks instead of four. Its less money and less things to go wrong
    Parnell

My 78' starfire has the same 15" or so area in front of the tank stringer transverse to the cabin bulkhead. No idea why they left this space open. But as mentioned before, mine has a 42 gal tank between that front cabin bulkhead to the next bulkhead which is 22-24" forward. This tank obviously can only be put in place with the deck off. Forward of the 42 gal tank are 2 18gal tanks which I am not sure would come out or not with the deck on. I replaced the 2 main 48gal tanks under the cabin. All of my tanks have orig. "South Florida Marine Tank" tags on them with serial, guage, cap numbers and dates.

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    My 78' starfire has the same 15" or so area in front of the tank stringer transverse to the cabin bulkhead. No idea why they left this space open.
    Marshall, do you think this "tank stringer" can be removed without any consequence? Trying to get a feel (amongst many) to decide if It's a good trade off to eliminate this
    area in order to maxamize the new space with a larger tank? I can gain 25 to 30 gals (aside) Just don't know if it's the smart thing.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

I copied and edited the picture . . .
    I presume what your asking is can the outlined area on the picture below be removed without effecting structural strength?
    Mario L.

Concisdely said and illustrated, Thanks Mario!....My thinking is, If this area can be removed without consequence, it would allow for a couple of nice big fuel tanks.
    I'll wait on some feedback before I take any action, there's plenty to be done elsewhere before I take a sawsall to her lol......Today, I poked around around the
    drain plug..............it ain't good!
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Scippy
    I figure you can guess my opinion but if you make a few additions elsewhere like a few gussets outboard of the stringers it will work fine imho
    Parnell

Scippy,
    My Magnum never had those crossmembers right ahead of the tanks and it survived just fine. Taking out the same area in the bulkhead just forward of there would probably still be alright especially if other supports were built. If you think about it, there are no crossmembers all the way from the cabin bulkhead back under the cockpit floor to the engine room bulkhead, and that is about a 7' span if I remember correctly. I believe the center keel stringer provides much of the strength especially after it is boxed to the secondary longitudinal stringers by the floors overhead. It might be a different story if you planned big power and wanted to race it in the ocean. My two cents. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Good point Bill
    my thoughts are the same that bracing under the tank will make it stronger than it came from the factory even without the lower section of the bulkhead in mine. Certainly stronger in Scippy's without that small bulkhead
    Parnell

Thanks guys!................It's more than clear to me now to go ahead confidently and remove this cross member and allow for bigger fuel tanks.
    Sorry for being so challenged in this area, thanks for the patience.
    Is anybody using coosa board or the simular light weight foams instead of plywoods for stringers, bulkheads or cockpit sole? There's a few of
    us that are building up from the bare hull and wondered what direction you have in mind.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thread Information