Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Howard Custom Boats 23' Offshore.

The pad...

The pad on the Howard Offshore 23 is not as wide as it looks, but has a longer delta shape. The 23' boat actually has a 6' beam, so it's a very narrow hull. I've been told that the entry is deeper than 60 degrees and that midship she's got more than 30 degrees. The hull was originally designed for offshore racing with a single outboard that was rigged on pretty extended gil-bracket. The boat shocked everybody with a second overall on the shorter course at the 1985 Rum Run in CA. It was beaten only by legendary Al Stoker who ran his 26' SST with twins. Greg Briles had just created this 23' Crusader and there was no name for the model yet. It was later named Crusader 23 Offshore and the mold eventually was bought by Howard Custom Boats in the late 80's.

Lars

P.S. In the photo Mr. Briles is out testing in the original Crusader design in

1985. D.S.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lars; 07-05-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Info.
    LARS THE SWEDE

Howard was (and still is) known for the gelcoat and build quality. I am amazed that this has not sold. They model is not well known but the ride is amazing for the hull size and the buyer would have a very unique ride.

Interested in an HTM ? I been thinking about going to a small Vee again.

They're getting a larger daycruiser that they have lined up, so a trade wouldn't work unfortunately. Thanks for Your interest though Mike.

Regards, Lars.
    LARS THE SWEDE

Cool Price reduction !!!

Original asking price, $19,495.

NOW REDUCED TO, $15,900.

Call Steve at; 818-984-7464
    Last edited by lars; 07-05-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Ph. nr.
    LARS THE SWEDE

Quote Originally Posted by lars View Post
    Original asking price, $19,495.

NOW REDUCED TO, $15,900.

Call Steve at; 818-984-7464
    You know that is not the boat thats for sale right? I know cause that is a pic of my boat.

Wrong photo above?

Thanks Rick, now I know. Asked Steve to send me some more photos. But haven't got any more photos from Steve, so I posted this that I got from him with the others, but first past on it due to the darkness. Well saw You once fly by at Parker and You were moving pretty good. How long have You had Yours? What year is it?

Best from Lars.
    LARS THE SWEDE

Quote Originally Posted by lars View Post
    Thanks Rick, now I know. Asked Steve to send me some more photos. But haven't got any more photos from Steve, so I posted this that I got from him with the others, but first past on it due to the darkness. Well saw You once fly by at Parker and You were moving pretty good. How long have You had Yours? What year is it?

Best from Lars.
    Who's Rick? Mine is an '89. I believe it is either the 1st or 2nd one Gene built. I've had it for about 9 years now. It is pretty much original except for a few things I've added. Hasn't even had a valve cover off of it and still runs great. Not bad for a 20 year old 454 mag.

Does anyone know if the old Team Warlock " 23 World Class Offshore " came before or after the Howard?

1st or 2nd of 12.

Quote Originally Posted by djunkie View Post
    Who's Rick? Mine is an '89. I believe it is either the 1st or 2nd one Gene built. I've had it for about 9 years now. It is pretty much original except for a few things I've added. Hasn't even had a valve cover off of it and still runs great. Not bad for a 20 year old 454 mag.
    Great to hear that she's been good to You. Seeing You at Parker I was curious to find out who owned the 23 Offshore and somebody said the guy's name is Rick, but I guess they were wrong. I always get excited when I see a 23 Offshore since so few were made. It's amazing how time flies, very interesting to hear that Yours was one of the absolutely first made and as early as 1989. Guess it was built in the Irwindale plant then. Cool to have You here on the Donzi Forum and if You know of any more 23 Offshores it'd be great to hear about them.

Best regards, Lars.
    LARS THE SWEDE

First to fly offshore?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Does anyone know if the old Team Warlock " 23 World Class Offshore " came before or after the Howard?
    Hallo Greg. Well I thought the first year of production for the Howard was probably 1990, but it now shows that 1989 is the year. However the design was as above mentioned done and the first Crusader built 23 Offshore was made 1985. I've seen quite a few 1987 Warlocks like Yours, but can't recall seeing any earlier Warlock 23's. I don't know that much about the Warlocks, but been a huge fan of Gene and Mike at Howard these 20 years. Really like the 23 Warlock, the 24 Worldclass Euro and of course the 29!

P.S. How long have You had the 24 OB and what's the history of Your boat Greg? Little bit of an OB fan myself, even though I got a Larry Smith Kaama drive boat too. D.S.
    Last edited by lars; 07-24-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Photo
    LARS THE SWEDE

Here is a photo of the 1987 Warlock. I have never been able to really get any information on the boat given it is a factory OB hull. I have seen several 23 World Class Offshore IO's come up for sale with BB power and the occasional 24 World Class Euro (one for sale now) but never another Team Warlock 23 OB.

Any info is appreciated Lars

We run it with a 1974 Donzi 16 OB as a little brother

Great boats...

Very nice looking boat Greg! I like the 16 OB too, You're a lucky guy. Will get You some info. on the Warlock as soon as I figure it out.

Enjoy Your well choosen boats.

Best regards, Lars.
    LARS THE SWEDE

Back to the Howard, here is a picture of a 1998 Howard 23 Offshore with custom gel coat.

I am AMAZED that your friends Howard has not sold. The Howard hull rides like a 22 Classic but is 10 mph faster with the same power. His boat is priced very well for the condition given the owner of the attached 1998 is asking $29,000 !

$29K and not a Howard!

Funny You found that ad for the 1998? "Howard" NOT. If the owner of that boat realizes that he's got a Crusader he should advertise it as such. It might be a 1988 if he's lucky, probably even mid 80's. Boat looks clean, but not nearly the quality of a Howard. You're right about my friend Steve's Howard Greg, it's quite a buy.
    P.S. Found his ad on craigslist.org too. $30K and the same misinformation! D.S
    Link; http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/1245947786.html
    LARS THE SWEDE

Thread Information