Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk question.....

Question Blackhawk question.....

Been looking hard at 22 Classics w/ Big Block/Bravo combos and I've run across a couple of Blackhawks for sale. Just wondering how much of a difference there is in these (driving wise) compared to a Shelby or Aronow edition w/ the raised "X" dimension. Driven a Shelby type quite a bit and wondering if theres a big difference. Also is the Blackhawk mainly a go fast all the time ride or is it a boat one could cruise every once and a while on?

Thanks fellas.

You can always easily swap off the Blackhawk for a Bravo I/shorty later if you find you don't like it. The rocker hull would be nice to have. Maybe an Arneson.. Check carefully for rot.
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

leave the blackhawk on a blackhawk boat

the blackhawks are very much like a regular 22 classic and handle very similarily in most conditions up to probably 60 mph.
    the only differences is that you use alot of tabs to control the boat (do a search)_

I can drive mine down to cruise at 20mph and it works great
    and it will cruise at 50-60 mph all day at 3000 rpms

the differences come out when you really want them to fly and you lift the tabs and the boat hops up on top of the water and runs real nose high and shoots a rooster tail behind you like 100 ft (for comparison purposes it would be approx. double the roostertail of say someone with an IMCO shorty)

they are alot like a race horse- they will trot but they love to run

but when you are airing it out you have to be very cautious and have alot of seat time to make them work right or you will get frustrated with it as they can be tempermental in sloppy conditions

the most accurate description that I can give would be a regular 22 classic would be like Richie Cunningham - good well mannered individual with a little wild side when pushed

the blackhawk would be like Fonzy

HEEEEYYYYY!!!

watch for rotten boats

Shea
    Please keep in mind I don't know anything......
    any information I have is made up.....
    and generally I am part of the problem
    VICE President-Weller's Bay DONZI Association

OFFICIAL LAKE GEORGE POKER RUN CHAMPION

Ride and drive...

Driven both a bunch. And with all respect to Shea, the boats are night and day in what it takes to drive them properly.

Anybody who says this hull will respond equally well to a bravo or an imco drive is probably trying to sell you a boat, not what works well with the hull design. The BH hull requires a BH drive. I've driven a conversion and it was awful.

The BH is not going to be popular with a passenger that isn't a seasoned performance boater. The inputs that work on a normal boat are exactly opposite on the BH. The boat can do spooky things to the uninitiated and can be down right dangerous in the wrong hands.

Best thing to do is go ride and drive one with somebody. I wouldn't recomend it to anyone as a first Donzi.

I do agree with Todd

definitely not a good first boat at all

you really have to want one

I understood the question to be can it be driven slowly

and you can (if you are into that sort of thing)

Thumbs up Thanks guys....

Thats the info I was looking for. I like a boat that you have to learn to drive.....Keeps it interesting!

Been into outboard drag boats for a while and looking to get bigger and take it easy when I'm not doing 1/4 mile.

Thanks again!

Jonathan

Driving a BH is work and not for the timid or untrained. I too have driven a conversion and it was not good. I don't own one, yet I think they look great.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

I owned a BH for 5 years(maybe 6) and yes you can cruise in it. It was my first performance boat and IMO that helped me. The main difference between the BH and a Bravo boat is how you control the attitude of the boat.

With the BH there is very little drive in the water so trimming the drive provides much less leverage to control the bow. Which is why there is rocker in the hull so the bow will carry. So, you have to use the tabs to control the bow. Once you get the hang of using the tabs it's not that bad. I actually mounted small radio witches in my throttle handle for my tabs so I could control the tabs while throttling.

At WFO the BH is loose and fast. Definitely a blast to drive!!!

My only complaint was in "sloppy" water it was tough to find a sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    Once you get the hang of using the tabs it's not that bad. I actually mounted small radio witches in my throttle handle for my tabs so I could control the tabs while throttling.

At WFO the BH is loose and fast. Definitely a blast to drive!!!

My only complaint was in "sloppy" water it was tough to find a sweet spot.
    Always wondered if there was a way to do that! Running these lil boats with trim on the wheel and foot throttle it's a change going to a regular throttle. Kinda like the idea of having everything in your hand!

Most of the running I'd be doing would be on a river so rough water would'nt be a concern. Bout the only rough water the boat would see would be at Destin every once and a while and at Eufaula a couple of times a year. Thanks for the help guys.....

Big Grizz, Looking forward to seeing you guys at Eufaula X this year.

We will be there!! My only problem is that Eufaula means brining summer to a close.
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMercMe View Post
    Always wondered if there was a way to do that! Running these lil boats with trim on the wheel and foot throttle it's a change going to a regular throttle. Kinda like the idea of having everything in your hand!

Most of the running I'd be doing would be on a river so rough water would'nt be a concern. Bout the only rough water the boat would see would be at Destin every once and a while and at Eufaula a couple of times a year. Thanks for the help guys.....

Big Grizz, Looking forward to seeing you guys at Eufaula X this year.
    The two best things I did to my boat was replace the 150 tabs with longer 280s and install the radio switches. This allowed me to run less tab to stabalize the boat and quickly adjust them without taking my hand off the throttle. After that I could run the boat much harder.

Be careful running in rivers too. If you're running WFO and come into other boat wakes that boat can launch if the tabs are high and dry.

[Be careful running in rivers too. If you're running WFO and come into other boat wakes that boat can launch if the tabs are high and dry.[/quote]

and how

the switches do make the boat alot more driveable and userfriendly- if that is possble

I have over 100 hours behind the wheel of a Blackhawk, and every comment made so far has been correct. Take the comment about rot seriously. I have heard of several Blackhawks (mine included) with major stringer/transom rot problems. Make sure you have a certified marine surveyor look at the boat and make sure they use a moisture meter to check for rot. Also take a good look at the props for cracks. Surfacing props undergo tremendous stress and can crack. Blackhawk props are hard to find, but can be custom made for $$$$.

Greg Maier
    1995 Donzi 22 Blackhawk

Need speed and stability

You guys are scaring me, I have my eyes on a Blackhawk as I want a faster bigger boat and ran across a Blackhawk for sale.. Never driven one but have alot of hours in a 208 hp 1990 sweet 16 that turns the speedo around to 15 MPH at WFO no tabs. The 16 is glued to the water in most of anything that Lake Champlain has except the 4 footer northwinds. Is the Blackhawk not a stable Donzi? Will the wife and daughter not feel safe at high speed, what happens in the 4-5 footers at high speeds, cavitation or worse? Can the naked eye depict rot, what are the indications, where do you look? I like the raw speed but need to be able to keep the family abord. Looking at a 1995 415 HP.

The black hawk is not for you. If your wife drives it she WILL divorce you. My wife drives my 690+ Hp Criterion but doesn't want to ride in a black hawk again. I have ridden with Gero, who is an excellent driver of the Hawk and he works his but off but he has gotten it gown to an art.

Thread Information