Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A question about paypal

A question about paypal

How do I know for certain that I'm in the "real" paypal site?

Bear with me if this seems like a stupid question. I'm new to it and just sold something on ebay that allowed a paypal payment to my account. Now I'm not sure what I'm doing. It seems weird that I only enter my e-mail address and then a password. Shouldn't it ask for a certificate or something?

For those that have accepted payments through A Paypal account, what should it look like. And do you get an email requesting that you accept payment.

That's all it asks for...I think. But I would go to the paypal link within ebay. In other words sign into ebay then there should be a button for paypal there and it would ask again for your name and password. That way at least you have a double-layer of security...I guess.

Then log-in separately outside of ebay to your paypal account and verify that the correct transaction is on your log.

Thanks, that sounds like a better plan. I'll at least know I'm in side ebay first.

I do feel a little stupid now since I didn't know you had to "upgrade" in order to accept certain forms of payment. I don't recall reading that when I signed up.

A word of caution...be on the look out for "e-mails" that have the paypal or ebay logo and look like the real thing giving you a link to click on to "update" your account...if you do you could loose a lot of money in a hurry
    cubic inches = power
    power = speed
    speed = FUN

Ditto on what smootie said, you should get a receipt in the mail shortly. I am new to Pay Pal also but have done a few transactions and have not needed to check my account due to the mail notification.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

This is what is unusual about paypal. it shouldn't be as easy as it is. Before i got the account I didn't care because all paypal emails were phishing emails. Now that I have an account I have to be certain about what is real and what isn't. I have lately seen some very sneaky phishing methods. it would not be a stretch to follow ebay auctions, especally now that you can ask questions and get a real email address of the seller, wait till the auction is over then pretend you are the buyer sending a paypal phish email. If the timing was right, I can really see how someone might just answer the email with out looking too closely.
    Going to ebay first, maybe even testing that a random listing you know about is there or confirming your history and then signing in to paypal seems like the best method. I know this sounds very paranoid. But my other financial web stuff has an extra level of sign in, which is a layer that I can test to see that I'm inside a secure site before the next level of password is asked for. Paypal only has one level of entry. "all or nothing." that just seems very strange to me. My Amtrak account is more secure.....That account will even give partial information only they would know before I complete credit card info. My Bank will not even let me in till I've registered the particular machine I on at the time. Paypal is odd in that it only uses the certificate to encode info that is sent back and forth over the net, but the first and only password is the only real safe guard. I used an entirely different machine to access the paypal account. So it couldn't have known anything about me till I entered this one password. Thats kind of uncomfortable......

I would suggest that you purchase a PAYPAL/EBAY key code generator. For $ 5.00 it will protect both of your accounts. The only problem is you need to keep it with you or you will not be able to get into your accounts without it.

Very easy set up and this is the same security that banks use.
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Very interisting! Where can I buy one of these key code generators?
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Thanks, I just ordered it!
    U.S.C.G. Master Captain
    "Pioneer of insane speed concepts & creations"

I just ordered TWO of them for family use

can't be too safe these days

great tip, thanx
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Question

I saw this and thought it was a great idea and mentioned it to a freind that brought up an interesting question how does it work with no physical connection to the computer, I could see if it had a USB or similar hook up. It in some way would need to transmit the new added code to Pay Pal.

Phil

The way it works is it generates a number every 30 seconds. Has nothing to do with USB. When you login you first enter your username/password Then it ask you to enter the 6 digit number from your POD.

This is the safest way to protect your EBAY/PAYPAL accounts.

The only thing I dont like is you need to carry it around with you. If you use your accounts away from home.
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Smile

I thought about it and what it must do is generate sequence specific numbers, that way PP will know that is just not a random set.

Phil

Phil,
    The number is generated another way. It does not go in order. Has something to do with time....

Again this is what most banks use for high end money transfer/ Account logins.

Not a bad 5.00 investment
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Thread Information