Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Arneson Series

Arneson Series

Add another one to the line up !
    I've been busy the last couple of wks.. It was time for a switch from the Alpha system to an Arneson set up on my 1987 22 Classic. The goal was to gain Hyd. Steering,easy shifting and an all round stronger system.

Plan A, Was to use the stock coupler with the stock ft. mounts and a mid-mount engine mount. After installing the engine/trans. I found out the Ext. box was designed for the Arneson coupler use only.

Plan B,Ordered Arneson coupler,Offshore Ft. mount,Arneson rear transom mount.
    Then found out the Rear transom mount did not match my Ext.box. Bolt pattern,overall length etc..My stuff is an earlier edition. Then the trick was to center the mount to the drive.This would locate coupler angle,engine height etc..Then add a piece to the bottom of the mount.Then fabricate mounting plates for the Ft. Offshore mounts.
    Then order special flange from Huber Marine for the trans to coupler.
    A special Thank You to Jeff Hall for some of his R&D info also !
    Here are some pics. of the project. Sea trials this wk. end !
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by DONZI; 10-04-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: info
    [url]

did you REALLY think I wouldn't ask about that blower motor in the background... come on now...... fess up...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    did you REALLY think I wouldn't ask about that blower motor in the background... come on now...... fess up...
    That's for the one under the cover.
    [url]

so take the damm cover off
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I doubt if Kenny is putting a blown mouse ahead of the Adrive! Ken that looks like it is a bronze unit is that correct? I have seen bronze on larger ones but not on an ADS6, will be very interested in the results.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Smile

Wow...Kenny.... bring it over to Lake George this weekend...a few of us are doing the Lake George Powerboat Fall Run.

Looks like a serious addition....not sure about that prop...that looks different... keep us posted.

Good Luck

Doc
    Because Life Is Better When You're Wet!!!

"Yes...I see you Tennis Champion?" .... You think you own me? Oh that's right... you do own me!"

Looks awesome. LOA about 30 feet now I can't wait to hear test results!

Cool

That Looks Great Ken, Can't Wait To See It. I'm Also With Jim "whats" Under That Cover.

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    so take the damm cover off
    Jim- Here ya go ! My 1937 Topolino future Rod project.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    I doubt if Kenny is putting a blown mouse ahead of the Adrive! Ken that looks like it is a bronze unit is that correct? I have seen bronze on larger ones but not on an ADS6, will be very interested in the results.
    Phil
    Phil, Yes Bronze.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dan View Post
    Wow...Kenny.... bring it over to Lake George this weekend...a few of us are doing the Lake George Powerboat Fall Run.
    Looks like a serious addition....not sure about that prop...that looks different... keep us posted.
    Good Luck
    Doc
    Thanks Dan. I need to complete my shake down runs before any trips. Yes, Propping this will be the final challenge. Of course final power choice will have to be built & dyno'd 1st.
    It looks like a great wk .end for the run. Have fun,be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    Looks awesome. LOA about 30 feet now I can't wait to hear test results!
    Thanks V.
    The wife said i couldn"t buy a bigger boat with 2 kids in college. Sooo, i had to extend this one !
    Quote Originally Posted by DON N. View Post
    That Looks Great Ken, Can't Wait To See It. I'm Also With Jim "whats" Under That Cover.
    Thanks Don ! It's the Rod project everyone ask's me "When are you going to stop working on that Boat and start your car ?"
    [url]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Topolino

WOW!!! You have some serious structural work to do huh.
    1968 Donzi 2+3
    Location: Green Cove Springs, Florida http://www.greencovesprings.com/
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. - Frank Zappa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ken the 500 Belvedere would have been a much better choice to the grocery shopping

Day 1 of Testing in the book's.

I picked an area that i thought would be safe & secure in R.I. for my Day 1 of testing.
    Yes,the very own Bay X that Outerlimit Power boats do there private testing also. After completing some early testing. It was time for a food break in Bristol R.I.. Just after leaving the Dock, i hear "Hey Kenny" coming from a small incognitto boat. I notice the passengers quickly storing away electronics, special vison equip. etc
    Well if it isn't a well known Donzi employee aboard ?? Hmmmn ! Before i realize what's happening, i have 2 onboard. One diverting me with conversation about how they are in town for a Wedding today.Mean while, this skinny guy is deep inside my bilge.(i swear he had a hidden camera in there). Then hanging over the transom. The next thing i know we are running all over Bayxthrowing water everywhere with the skinny guy behind the wheel ! I can hear him muttering under his breath "This is ground breaking territory right here".
    I have his picture here. Watch for these Donzi guys. They can find you anywhere !

All in All it was a great day. It's a learning curve driving an Arneson. They were no speed records broken, but it performed well. I still have some more things to play with and that to me is the fun of it. I wound up removing the top Fin and going to replace it with a bottom one. This i suspected would be needed anyway.
    When you make a Trim adj. the drive actually angles.Like you are strg. it. So,you need to counter steer at the same time. I will take a vid later to demonstrate the geometry of this.The surprise Donzi Rep.visitor felt there was a lot of prop torque going on also.Creating a need to counter steer.I took on some good size cruiser wakes w/ a lighter fuel load later in the day. I was surprised how the Boat really acted like it was bigger than what it is.
    Enjoy the pics..

Ken -"I can't hide anywhere"
    [url]

How about "bow lift" ? Were you able to create any??? 87.9 miles of travelling. Great, but what speeds were you seeing with the A drive as opposed to normally configured as reference?

I believe Chris has something quite similar stored somewhere and red...

Also, what year is the boat? That looks like an '87 or so LE (Limited Edition) of a black 22 ???

the rooster tails alone that surface drives throw make it worth while, awesome
    ---- matt ----

Ken what kind of power is ahead the Adrive? Give us some more poop on the whole setup!

Thread Information