Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm getting serious....

What I thoght was oxidation on the bottom was instead, poorly applied paint with a lot of the primer showing. If I could have turned it over, I would have but I do most of this stuff by myself, so that would be difficult. Instead, I raise the legs on the dollies to the highest position and climb underneath on a creeper. It's really no too bad.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

There was a lot of discussion on another forum and this one about the changes Donzi made to the 22 hull in '02 or so. One of the characterestics of the changes (before Donzi corrected them) were cracks in the bottom. While under the stern, I noticed at the end of the inner strakes about 2' in front of the transom, there was some spider cracks through the gel right in the transition of the verical and the hull bottom. The inner strake is located directly under the stringers port and stbd. This doesn't concern me because I'm planning on significantly reinforcing the stringers and bottom. Watch this space!
    I'm curious though about how many others might have gel cracks in the same place??? This is one of the problems w/trailers is you can't see the bottom.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Another thing I noticed while sanding the vertical sides of the strakes, there was very little gel on those surfaces. I suppose spraying the gel into the mold is harder to get adequate coverage on those vertical surfaces rather than the bottom. I would guess this would vary from boat to boat and day to day,

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

While under the stern, I noticed at the end of the inner strakes about 2' in front of the transom, there was some spider cracks through the gel right in the transition of the verical and the hull bottom. The inner strake is located directly under the stringers port and stbd.
    George, that's where (and why) the newer ones are cracking as well. Seems Donzi has managed to come full circle and repeat their mistakes.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

The cracking you are finding is really minor BS, the older ones developed some minor cracking over a period of many years almost all of which was outboard not where the new ones do. The early newer ones with the stringers placed outboard of the strakes cracked very early in life, but Donzi came up with a good fix and have strengthened the new ones. The older 22's had the stringers set at 22" on center and placed directly above the strakes which gave them support where it was needed, the newer spread stringer setups left the strakes unsupported which caused the cracking issue. It has also been pointed out by a few owners and other knowledgeable guys that the lowering of the 496 engine packages made the boats porpoise due to the extra drive leverage, we got a first hand look at just how bad one could be at the 06 1K run. Atomictan "Carl's" boat would literally hop drove him crazy! The bottom fix works great, add a shorty and you are in business!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Very interesting George. Thanks for posting. Are you planning on removing the gel at the cracks? It'll be interesting to see what's in there if you do. My cracks looked a little different with a single crack in the corner that didn't fan out until it passed the aft end of the strake. You seem to have some fan cracks coming out of the corner. I wonder if your strake pockets were filled before the stringers were glassed in.
    RickS-E

Quote Originally Posted by RickSE View Post
    Very interesting George. Thanks for posting. Are you planning on removing the gel at the cracks? It'll be interesting to see what's in there if you do. My cracks looked a little different with a single crack in the corner that didn't fan out until it passed the aft end of the strake. You seem to have some fan cracks coming out of the corner. I wonder if your strake pockets were filled before the stringers were glassed in.
    Yes they were filled. The port side cracking was worse, but I didn't want to stop and take pictures. I cleaned it completely and it was purely cosmetic.
    I will be reinforcing the stringer/bottom joint considerably. I think it's just an indication of the junction of an area that produces a considerable amount of lift (the strake bottom) and an area that doesn't (the hull bottom @ 24*).
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    ... The port side cracking was worse, ...
    My original gel cracks were slightly more severe on the port side. Now after the repair my port side has cracked again and the starboard has not. The port side definitely seems to take more abuse. Mine may be stress relief from the new lay-up though since the cracks appeared early, after coming back from FL, and never progressed. The keel panel between the stringers definitely takes a beating on these boats and as you've mentioned the outboard corner of the inner strake is the weak point where they seem to flex. Sounds like your corner is outboard of the stringer while mine and the other post 02's is inboard.

On a side note, I'm not sure if this caused the stringer placement change but the 02' SE's have offshore brackets which requires the stringers to be at least 28" apart. This may or may not be when they moved the stringers.
    RickS-E

Well, this boat is 20 years old, and from '93-to the present, had probably 500 HP in it. I'll be detuning the engine somewhat, I'll be happy w/425-450 HP. At my age, that's a true statement.
    Since all the damage is cosmetic, I'm not overly concerned. Particularly as the inside will be significantly stronger.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by RickSE View Post
    On a side note, I'm not sure if this caused the stringer placement change but the 02' SE's have offshore brackets which require the stringers to be at least 28" apart. This may or may not be when they moved the stringers.
    Do all the post '01 boats have offshore mounts?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Do all the post '01 boats have offshore mounts?
    No, just the SE's. Everything else is using standard mounts.
    RickS-E

I went a little further on the port inside strake termination and found this.....
    There was an indication of delamination in the layup. There was a small chip in it, there was also a little moisture weeping through.
    After sanding all the way through the gel in area, you'll see the dark colored area is in the strake pocket is filled on the inside, the lighter yellow area is just outboard of the filled area and it's translucent.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

This just happens to be just forward of the forward engine mount hole.
    If you look carefully, there's a minor crack in the glass in the fillet of the stringer/hull bottom. It's about 1" or so forward the mount hole.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I'm formulating a fix......but does anyone else want to chime in?????
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I don't know George, looks pretty similar to our stuff with with the newer boats.

Donzi was looking for voids under the stringers on the newer stuff but it doesn't look like you have any.

Like I mentioned before, I really believe the stringer to stringer keel panel is too weak on these boats. The pounding they take on this panel pushes the panel in like a drum, flexing it in and out and concentrating the stress at the lifting strake corners. I'd have to assume that if this joint flexes enough over time it'll eventually crack the laminate and not just the gel.

You either minimize the drum flexing effect in the keel panel or beef up the corner joint at the base of the stringer. Donzi's fix was trying to accomplish both.

Bigger power seems to enhance the issue.
    RickS-E

Thread Information