Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm getting serious....

Lightbulb

George I am surprised you have not grabbed a couple of paper Dough Boy suits, believe me you can't beat them.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Well, I have finished grinding the inside of the hull for the moment. I found a few voids that I'll take care of.....

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

These older 22 hulls really don't have any strength issues like the post '01 boats do. In fact many owners prefer the older hulls. But any production glass boat is going to have some production issues. That's the reason for grinding the hull. Look at the pics and you'll see the voids I uncovered. It seems the stern of the boat always more issues than the bow. But my plan is to fix the voids. Look at the pictures and you'll see they hold moisture. Also the voids do nothing to increase strength in the hull. Think of the relative strength of a phone book as apposed to a solid piece of wood of the same size.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Additionally I'll be adding some large glass filled fillets at the root of the stringers and some glass reinforement both inside and outside of the stringers.
    Oh yeah..a new transverse frame aft of the rear seat back along with some additional stringer reinforcement gussets.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Just for comparison, this pic was from when I first pulled the deck. I didn't like the transverse frame at all so, the ends were pulling up, so it was the first to go. Also, I removed the pump pad from under the engine, then the electrical pad on the stbd transom. These plywood pieces are 20 years old and weren't in good shape.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I took a break today from working inside the hull to take a look at the outside. The bottom of the hull is badly oxydized and I assumed that was the reason the hull was painted...just to keep from having to keep the gel buffed.
    I started out by trying several strippers..including Easy Off. Nothing I tried touched or softened the paint.
    So I dug out the D-A and put on some 220 and covered about four square feet down to the primer. Then I switched to 360 because I didn't have any 400. Once all the primer was off that area, I switched again to 800 then 1200. In this picture, I've finished with 1200 and you can see a reflection in it. Now I only have about 20 times this area to go.
    I don't mind paint, in fact I like it in the right areas, but this paint doesn't even match the original gel.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George,
    That transom looks like it was hit by a shotgun.

LOL
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Next I took a look at the transom. I started sanding off the paint like I did on the port side and it was looking pretty good until I got down into the area where the original Bennett tabs had been located. Then I found out the former owner had attempted to plug the Bennett mounting holes from the outside!!!
    Gosh folks...save yourself a lot of frustration and embarrasment and don't do that!!
    The proper way is to taper the hole from the inside, maybe with a countersink, and fill it w/glass filled filler. Then all you have to do is use some color matched gel paste on the outside. Sand the outside and buff.
    But if you look at the next picture, you'll see that now I have to re-gel the entire transom.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Smile

Backing up on our conversation I can see the mess the transom! George I have faith
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Yesterday I was able to sand off all the paint on the port side w/220 and today I sanded the whole port side w/400, 800, and 1200. Then just for fun, I buffed the port side from the transom to the fuel vent w/ coarse compound.
    Take a look.....

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Wow, you have your work cut out for you, but it is looking good..

Want a job?? lol

Jamie / Lakeside

Quote Originally Posted by jw View Post
    Wow, you have your work cut out for you, but it is looking good..
    Want a job?? lol
    Jamie / Lakeside
    Thanks Jamie!
    This stuff is a break from the cares of the world, but if I had to do it for a living, it wouldn't be fun any more.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George, you do have your work cut out for you but the Minx was a good practice run. Good luck, and hope to see you again soon.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Thanks Jamie!
    This stuff is a break from the cares of the world, but if I had to do it for a living, it wouldn't be fun any more.

Come on, thats not entirely true... I still have fun sometimes..lol... Jamie

I took a week off to go get a truck in Illinois and on the way back I got one of the worst colds I've had in years. Today I felt up to working on it again.
    On the stbd side after sanding off the paint w/220 on a D-A, instead on using the D-A for the next course of 400 paper, I bought a roll of 400 paper for my air file. This went real well and I ended up w/the surface being flatter. Unfortunately, 400 is the finest available in this form. Next, it'll get the 800 and 1200 w/the D-A.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information