Page 20 of 124 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm getting serious....

If the floors are plywood, all the water enters from the edges. There's nothing wrong w/plywood, the edges just need to be sealed. System Three Epoxy ( http://www.systemthree.com/index_2.asp ) has a very thin penetrating epoxy that I use to seal all the edges on plywood, and all the end grain on boards etc. If done properly, the pieces will never rot. The same thing applies to holes through the deck coring. I would probably remove any foam unless it's required by the USCG in your case.
    Thanks for that link. I'll try some out in the spring when I start working on her! I have laminated all the previous plywood that I replaced already. I did not find the cabin damage until one day last summer we were floating out on the Niagara and I needed something out of my cabin center storage locker. I discovered water seeping in through the floor of the compartment. In unison with the waves hitting the sides of the boat. I showed my son and we were mortified!! A few weeks later after I drilled holes into the floor to try to drain the water out, I found it was running down from topside from the anchor locker. Boy, was I relived to know it wasn't coming in from the hull! LOL. But the damage has been done. Need new floors, compartment sides and A couple of cross members in the cabin. "OH WELL"

Sam.
    '89' 23R-DL
    '460' KING COBRA
    If it isen't fast it isen't worth it!!
    SPEED CHANGES YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    I remember a L-O-N-G time ago, when I took drivers education, the teacher said that in accidents where the driver hit a stationary object (phone pole, tree, sign post, etc), a huge percentage (over 85% if I remember correctly) hit the object with the center of their vehicle. They get so tunnel-vision fixed on the object, that they line up their vehicle perfectly and hit it dead center, instead of swerving in an attempt to avoid it.

Your picture of the lady's totaled SUV would serve as a good example.

I only mention this, because someone might, when experiencing this exact same situation, might remember this, and swerve, rather than hit something dead center.
    I had never heard that, but I was amazed that she hit dead center.

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    OK, either:

A-that sign's built far tougher than it looks
    B-Tahoe's are far wimpier than they look
    or
    C-she plowed into something else

Which is it? She didn't even knock the sign all the way down and it just looks like a couple 4x4 posts holding it up yet the whole front of the truck is stove in. Talk about a 'crumple zone'...
    I built the sign 13 years ago to hold up to our high powered winds - so far an 85MPH wind never moved it, but she sure did a number on it. Yep, 4X4X1/4" steel frame.

Quote Originally Posted by zelatore View Post
    Can't tell....even if they are steel, that's a ton of damage considering the weight of the truck vs. the sign.

Maybe they're solid iron posts, set in concrete, 5' deep. That should do the trick.
    Yep, 4X4X1/4" square tubing set 4 1/2' in concrete. She actually hit it hard enough to bring the one leg out of the ground and torqued the frame enough that it had to be replaced. We just set in the new frame in concrete this afternoon with a Travelall crane. Thankfully, her air bag deployed or she would really have been hurt! Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Bill, give them a call. There's an 800 # on their website.
    George, I will call them this next week. Thanks, Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Before you line it (I think that's a good idea) sand it very well and shoot a couple of coats of epoxy primer on it.
    Every time I've used the foam, it's kicked at a different rate. The last batch was excruciatingly slow and very hard to judge.
    You might sacrifice a cup, mix some up, and see how it performs.
    Also, come up w/some scheme to firmly hold the tank in place. The upward force may be several hundred pounds.

Good luck.
    ... These 2 part foams are very sensitive to temp and mixing volume... The heavier densities expand LESS by design. They work best above 75*. The proper way to mix them is 50% by (weight) NOT voulme. The darked (a) side has a little more specifc gravity ... so you use a little less of it, so you have to be kinda accurate when you measues them before mixing. mixing 45% (A) side and 55% B side will give you the best consistant results. So a tad too much A side is why ya got the slowwww thing-eee, Mr C. IMHO........

Quote Originally Posted by mike o View Post
    ... These 2 part foams are very sensitive to temp and mixing volume... The heavier densities expand LESS by design. They work best above 75*. The proper way to mix them is 50% by (weight) NOT voulme. The darked (a) side has a little more specifc gravity ... so you use a little less of it, so you have to be kinda accurate when you measues them before mixing. A 45% B side and 55% B side will give you the best consistant results. So a tad too much A side is why ya got the slowwww thing-eee, Mr C. IMHO........
    That's some good info.
    I go to the automotive paint store and use some small measured cups and pour into a 1/2 gallon cup where I mix it w/a mixing stick. The 1/2 gallon cup will last about three or four pourings before it starts to kick.
    Ya gotta have everything ready at hand; cups of various sizes, sticks, part's A & B of the foam, rubber gloves.
    Mask off everything, the top of the tank, the top and outside of the stringers, bottom of the hull, etc.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

That's some good info.
    I go to the automotive paint store and use some small measured cups and pore into a 1/2 gallon cup where I mix it w/a mixing stick. The 1/2 gallon cup will last about three or four pourings before it starts to kick.
    Ya gotta have everything ready at hand; cups of various sizes, sticks, part's A & B of the foam, rubber gloves.
    Mask off everything, the top of the tank, the top and outside of the stringers, bottom of the hull, etc.
    .... I corrected a typo in my foam post thats still in Mr.C post.... so ya know.. But also when you stir the foam, It has to be perfectly mixed together completley. Make belive ya BUDDY RICH with the stirring stick.

Been working on the stbd side. Got the initial fill sanded and ground down and added a thin skim coat.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Some work on the transom...
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

And here's a picture of the port side....I used a 4' straight edge and a marker to outline where to add more reinforced putty onto the hull.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I finally finished repairing both sides near the stern and the transom. Ain't pretty but it's fair and smooth.......

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

This morning, I, and some help, flipped the hull over.
    I kind of take the minimalist approach.....I don't want to build anything I have to store or dis-assemble.
    So here's how it works:
    I have three comealongs chained to the ceiling. Two of them have straps running under the hull to C-clamps clamped to the opposite gunnels.
    A third comealong is clamped directly to the port gunnel.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

So you raise the two comealongs attached to the straps. Then when it goes over-center, the middle comealong is let out until the hull is sitting on the other two furniture dollies.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thanks George -

I'm sure there are a lot of us that appreciate the effort you put in to detail these reports to us.

One of us will surely buy this thing from you once you get tired of it, and will be able to say "It was restored by one of the best!"

So you raise the two comealongs attached to the straps. Then when it goes over-center, the middle comealong is let out until the hull is sitting on the other two furniture dollies.
    George Carter's motto:

Doing More With Less!

or

We don't need no stinkin' special tools!
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

BTW, what's with all the jackets and sweat shirts in the pictures?

It's not cold there in Sunny Florida (tm) is it?
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Thread Information