Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Now I'm getting serious....

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    G, do you have a plan for power?
    Yes, the immediate plan is to refresh the 454 that was in it. It was much massaged in '93 and had only 100 hours since.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

The tank comes out.....

When I removed the 41 gallon tank from the Minx, I thought it couldn't be much easier. I sawed the foam out from in front of the tank and pried upwards on the front of the tank and it slid out as if by magic!!! It was as though the bottom of the tank had been coated with mold parting compuond (wax) and who knows???? maybe it had!
    Not so with the Testa Rossa 55 gallon tank!
    I again sawed out the foam from in front of the tank and tried to pry it out.....no go!!!
    Well, I tried some other things. At each end of the tank are two small bent up angles welded to the tank that are used w/some small wooden blocks to screw the tank top to the stringers to position it for foaming into place. I chiseled out the blocks and shackled the angles to some chains and attempted to pull the tank out with my engine hoist.
    The welded angles ripped right off. But I wasn't really surprised.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Well, next I cleaned out the foam under the front of the tank and inserted a 2" wide pry bar under the tank on one side. I applied quite a bit of pressure sideways and was able to move the tank upwards about 1/2".....
    Eventually I had enough space under the front of the tank to get a strap under the tank and choke it so I could pull it out with the engine hoist.
    It still wasn't easy, but it came out. It almost picked the bow of the boat off the front dolly.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

After removing all the old foam, I found the tank is in excellent condition. After seeing the way the Minx tank was so corroded, this was a very pleasant revelation.
    I'm going to replace the tank regardless because I'm planning on increasing the size of the tank as much as possible. I'll probably order a new tank from RDS that's 1" deeper and about 2" longer. It'll probably end up about 60 gallons or so.
    If anyone wants to buy this tank, I'll sell it. I'ts very clean inside and no discernable pitting from corrosion.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Lightbulb

George take to a good welding shop and get a price, they will purge it and add what you want. I have seen that done more then once, From the pics I could see no staining of the foam to indicate it had water contact, save your self a couple of hundred bucks. Bringing it to 60 gallons is very little increase it should be 55 as it stands, I can run 95 in mine. I run the 40 gallon aft tank exclusively except on long trips or up at 1k as it makes the boat porpoise using the front tank, I would lose the floor locker and extend it aft 18" to 24" the will kick it up nicely. I find the 40 is fine for local, I can get over 100 miles out of it at a reasonably fast cruise then just switch to the front which I keep a few get home gallons in!

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I didn't think you'd find anything wrong with it. The tank in our 1982 22 Classic was in fine shape, but since I had the deck off, I replaced it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    ... would lose the floor locker and extend it aft 18" to 24" the will kick it up nicely. ...
    Phil
    I agree. The floor locker is pretty useless anyway.

Speaking of tanks....this picture explains why water migrates into the tank compartment.
    In fact, I've never seen any evidence that water drops down through the foam to the bottom of the compartment.
    This picture shows the foam I pulled out from one of the drain pipe ends. If you look closely, you'll see the pipe is sealed through the bulkhead by some double sided rubber tape. Guess what folks......it's guaranteed to leak!!!

On the boats I've done tank replacements on so far, I epoxied the drain pipe into both bulkheads. No more water intrusion from those sources anyway.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

It's amazing how much grease, oil, grunge, and dirt collects on the inside of the hull after 20 years. A few oil leaks and spills, and you have a mess. It took several hours to get all the mess out.
    Then I started making progress. I like to grind the entire inside of the hull. It gets rid of the "fur balls" of glass strands, high points and voids in the glass, and gives you an idea of the general condition of the hull.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Up in the bow, I ground off a high spot and uncovered some filler. I was surprised to find it there. I have to admit it took me a couple of minutes to figure out why it was there. Anyone want to guess what it's there for?
    Later, I'll put some more glass on it when I'm making all the corrections and additions.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Also I sawed a 1 3/8" hole through the bottom of the bow lifting bulkhead for a drain where there wasn't one before. It's amazing how much water is captured inside the bottom of that bulkhead. When it drains completely, I'll line the drain hole w/epoxy paste.
    Also I increased the size of the fuel tank bulkheads drain holes to 1 3/8" from 1" so a 1" pipe can be used for the tank compartment drain.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Up in the bow, I ground off a high spot and uncovered some filler. I was surprised to find it there. I have to admit it took me a couple of minutes to figure out why it was there. Anyone want to guess what it's there for?
    Later, I'll put some more glass on it when I'm making all the corrections and additions.
    strakes?

Yep.
    That's what happens when you're only looking at the inside.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Smile

Up to your old tricks! Are you nice and ITCHY now?
    George you can bet 99% of the water by the lifting eye bulkhead came down its shaft.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    Up to your old tricks! Are you nice and ITCHY now?
    George you can bet 99% of the water by the lifting eye bulkhead came down its shaft.
    Yep....real itchy!!!
    When I get through, it won't any more.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thread Information