Page 121 of 124 FirstFirst ... 21 71 111 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 1853

Thread: Now I'm getting serious....

Looks great George, nice to see the TR in the water! After all you have done, a couple of bugs are to be expected, congrats again.

- M
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Quote Originally Posted by CHACHI View Post
    George, each time it is getting better.

Try to get the oil temp up. 180 is a good place to start.

My 454 running at 4,000 + for a bit sees 260 on the oil temp.

Oil should get to 180 or so to evaporated any condensate.

Ken

Thanks Ken.
    Since the oil cooler is so large (3" X 15"), I'm likely to need an oil thermostat.
    But before I make that decision, I need to run it long enough to let it build
    some heat.
    This was a pretty quick trip.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

You have a very special build there Mr. Carter. Congrats!

Remind me what you ended up doing under the bow area again? Also, you may want to borrow a Mercury Rev4 prop to try. I suspect it would work very well.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Raw water pressure was 4 PSI @ 50 MPH
    (the relief valve is set for 20 PSI) and it will rise at higher speeds.
    Looks great George! I'm guessing your relief valve is "before" the raw water pump...and at 4psi at 50mph I am assuming you have the gauge reading "after" the raw water pump? Curious, because Merc had the sensor in my 496HO installed before the raw water pump and with the BH drive I blew my 35psi gauge. With the 502, I've installed the sensor in the same spot so I'm installing a relief valve this time, because it's $115 + shipping to get Livorsi to make a matching yellow gauge.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Glen, the pathway is:
    Transom pickup, strainer, oil cooler, steering cooler, relief valve, raw water pump.
    The pressure gauge is a mechanical gauge fed by a capillary plumbed
    into the oil cooler drain. It seems to work well there.
    You can see the relief valve in some of the pictures concerning changing
    belts/crossover, etc on the previous page.
    I blew the shaft seal out of the first pump by closing the ball valve on the
    raw water inlet and running on the hose.
    After reading your post again, I think the main difference is the shape of
    the transom pickup I'm using, instead of the drive pickup.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thanks Ken.
    Since the oil cooler is so large (3" X 15"), I'm likely to need an oil thermostat.
    But before I make that decision, I need to run it long enough to let it build
    some heat.
    This was a pretty quick trip.
    An oil thermostat is a welcomed addition and will solve any over cooling of your oil.

Ken

Glen, the pathway is:
    Transom pickup, strainer, oil cooler, steering cooler, relief valve, raw water pump.
    The pressure gauge is a mechanical gauge fed by a capillary plumbed
    into the oil cooler drain. It seems to work well there.
    You can see the relief valve in some of the pictures concerning changing
    belts/crossover, etc on the previous page.
    I blew the shaft seal out of the first pump by closing the ball valve on the
    raw water inlet and running on the hose.
    After reading your post again, I think the main difference is the shape of
    the transom pickup I'm using, instead of the drive pickup.
    George, are you not concerned about the water pressure? 4psi at 50mph before the pump? That just seems incredibly low to me.
    With the bravo, I would have been around 25~30psi at 50mph

Glen, I'm using this 1" Stainless Marine pickup. It has little "angle incidence" in relation to the water flow.
    The angle on the bottom can be ground on to reduce pressure if need be.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

After running the boat several times, I had a slight fuel pressure problem. The large Holley Black Pro fuel pump provided just a bit too much fuel at idle for the matching dead head regulator (Holley 12-704) to manage, so the pressure would creep up to 7-8 PSI.
    After conferring w/a Holley technician, I picked a Holley 12-841 bypass regulator. This required a bit of work. Part of the additional work was because when I was rigging the fuel system before I installed the remote heat exchanger, I didn't foresee the difficulty in removing the fuel pump at a later date. I took this opportunity to relocate the Holley fuel pump.
    It took part of two days to get the pump out. One screw came out easily, the other was much more difficult and required a couple of extra elbows in my right arm.

I built another pump/regulator mounting bracket from some scrap StarBoard. Don't know why, but it took me about three tries to get this right. In the rest of the pictures, you can see the rest of the installation. I installed Packard connectors for the pump and the pressure gauge sender. Also the regulator bypass line is visible returning to the fuel tank.
    The good news is the pressure is dead steady at about 4-1/2 PSI.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

After running the boat several times, I had a slight fuel pressure problem. The large Holley Black Pro fuel pump provided just a bit too much fuel at idle for the matching dead head regulator (Holley 12-704) to manage, so the pressure would creep up to 7-8 PSI. After conferring w/a Holley technician, I picked a Holley 12-841 bypass regulator. This required a bit of work. Part of the additional work was because when I was rigging the fuel system before I installed the remote heat exchanger, I didn't foresee the difficulty in removing the fuel pump at a later date. I took this opportunity to relocate the Holley fuel pump. It took part of two days to get the pump out. One screw came out easily, the other was much more difficult and required a couple of extra elbows in my right arm. I built another pump/regulator mounting bracket from some scrap StarBoard. Don't know why, but it took me about three tries to get this right. In the rest of the pictures, you can see the rest of the installation. I installed Packard connectors for the pump and the pressure gauge sender. Also the regulator bypass line is visible returning to the fuel tank. The good news is the pressure is dead steady at about 4-1/2 PSI.
    George have you put a Merc Rev4 prop on your boat yet to try? I think that it will prove to be amazing.

The Rev4 works well with deep drives and I believe you said that your measurement showed the prop shaft centerline to be exactly 6" below the keel. Try it, you'll like it. They run just a touch stiff to stamped pitch.
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Thank you Greg.
    I'll try to find one to try.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

This thread is incredible

thank you George for documenting all of this !!

How's the boat George? Did you get all the bugs worked out?

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    How's the boat George? Did you get all the bugs worked out?
    Glen,
    Bugs are mostly gone. Waiting for a new speedo, need to change fuel pressure
    and oil temp senders.
    But the worst problem is fixing a spot in the gel on the foredeck. And now I
    have to wait on days over 70* to work on it.
    You and Bobbi come see us!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Super Duper cool job Mr Carter!!! U are somethin special
    question about the oil cooler,,, i got the 3x18 dual cooler from Revolution marine. Do you think a thermostat will be necessary??? Could the oil really run to cool??? The oil filter right now without a cooler is hott. Like it will burn your hand hott when I run the boat. What do u guyz think. Can't wait to remove the winter cover an get started on many improvements an maintenance work
    FISH HARD

Thread Information