Page 115 of 124 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,725 of 1853

Thread: Now I'm getting serious....

I like the short bunks in the front, my trailer has a very short teflon V-brace that supports the front portion of the hull.
    I would like to replace it with some larger support system, or at least a large roller. The teflon brace is scratching the hull more than I like
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FISH HARD

Jim, I had a similar plastic piece on the Minx trailer. It also did damage until I started tying down the bow so it couldn't
    move.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Oh Happy Day, the Boat is Back on the Trailer!

One of the first things I did after I bought this boat back in 2007 was to take it off the trailer and put it on dollies.
    Now it's back on.
    I noticed when I got the trailer back from having new bunks installed, there was about 2" of vertical adjustment, so
    I lowered them that amount. As it turns out, I needed every bit of it as the legs on my current set of dollies are shorter
    than the old set.
    In the pictures, the first thing I did was to install the long dolly legs. I've done this before several times but it's still a bit unnerving to raise the boat that high. I also installed the other two tires and wheels. Normally, the tongue jack is raised to its highest position, and w/the forward dolly removed and the bow sitting on a jack, the trailer is simply rolled under the hull until the rear crossmember reaches the jack.
    But the tongue was sloping down the ramp outside the shop, and along w/the shorter dolly legs, it was all a bit harder.
    So, I still have to adjust the tongue weight, locate the post properly, adjust the forward bunks. The bow is currently sitting on a 4 X 4 so it's a bit higher than it will be. Also, the boat's not quite centered but I'll adjust that also.

And finally, the boat and trailer are stuffed back in their hole! I's been a long time coming.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Glad you got the boat back on the trailer without incident.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Great to see it back on the trailer. All those shots with the rubrail (which looks great) made me wonder what it is. I recall that you powder coated it, but didn't know what the actual rail was. I did some searching in the thread and thought it might be inch and a quarter aluminum J-rail. Is that right? Was thinking it might be: http://tacomarine.com/item--1-x-7-16...-A11-0152.html

Was wondering if you could tell me what it is, and if you could take a couple of close ups, including one from below. I'm shopping rubrail for my Cig now and so far am considering a wide range of options.Regards,Mike
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

One step closer.
    The drive by next weekend as I know you have all the parts....Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Great to see it back on the trailer. All those shots with the rubrail (which looks great) made me wonder what it is. I recall that you powder coated it, but didn't know what the actual rail was. I did some searching in the thread and thought it might be inch and a quarter aluminum J-rail. Is that right? Was thinking it might be: http://tacomarine.com/item--1-x-7-16...-A11-0152.html

Was wondering if you could tell me what it is, and if you could take a couple of close ups, including one from below. I'm shopping rubrail for my Cig now and so far am considering a wide range of options.Regards,Mike

Yep, the original TACO Marine J-rail. It was scratched, gouged, and corroded. My decision to keep and powdercoat the rail was twofold:
    1) The original 4 pieces (one bow, one stern, two sides) are 14' long and are no longer available in that length. So, I would have ended up w/probably six pieces if I wanted any kind of symmetry. The original rail is (very) soft aluminum and cleans up easily w/a flat bastard file and a little sandpaper.
    2) When looking down the side of the cockpit, IMHO there are too many contrasting trim elements, i.e., SST windshield frame, and aluminum rail....you get the idea. It was a conscious decision of mine to minimise the number of different elements to achieve more of a "monochromatic" effect, particularly since the hull is monochromatic. So, I powdercoated all the deck hardware elements except for the gas filler and the pop up cleats. The powdercoat is called "Crushed Silver" and really pops in the sunlight but is still somewhat subdued and nothing like metal flake, but more akin to a subtle metallic paint. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to photograph w/any similarity to reality. It just looks grey in photos.
    I'll post a picture of the bottom tomorrow. It is designed specifically for a shoe box joint.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I'd love to see it and you at AOTH.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    I'd love to see it and you at AOTH.
    That's in the plans.
    What'll be a lot harder will be to get the upholstery done by mid March for the Tavares, FL antique show.
    The upholstery guy has the old seats, but won't start on it until he gets the boat. I'm not sure why.....
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

OK Mike, here're the pictures.........I think they actually show the powdercoat in all its glory:

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Looks fantastic George.

Splash date yet?
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Thanks George, that helps a LOT! . Looks absolutely great BTW.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

soo the trailer does have four wheels,,,,,,, looks awsome george LUCK!!!
    FISH HARD

I'm down to the final details. I've re-installed the drive upper and all of it's various parts.
    Yesterday, I started compiling all the steering bracket parts. This included new SST mounting
    bolts that required grinding, sanding, and polishing all the bolt heads and the new spacers.
    So, the steering is temporarily together, w/very little else to do.

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Too damn nice to drive in anger!!
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

Thread Information