Page 120 of 124 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 1853

Thread: Now I'm getting serious....

Sure looks good in the water George!

I hope your wobbling pump is just a seating issue. I know you've used these pumps before, so I was going to ask you if you've ever had a "wobbly" one because I have the same issue with mine. I haven't got around to check if it's seated properly, but I'm 99% sure it is.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    Sure looks good in the water George!

I hope your wobbling pump is just a seating issue. I know you've used these pumps before, so I was going to ask you if you've ever had a "wobbly" one because I have the same issue with mine. I haven't got around to check if it's seated properly, but I'm 99% sure it is.
    I'm pretty sure it's a seating issue as the original pump didn't wobble.....unless it's a mounting flange run out issue.
    I got a new seal, so I could always re-install the original pump.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I remember when this project got started and lifting the hull for some reason.

WOW!!!!

Great job George. Somehow I knew it would come out gorgeous.
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Happy days in the Carter house.

Nice job George.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    I remember when this project got started and lifting the hull for some reason.

WOW!!!!

Great job George. Somehow I knew it would come out gorgeous.

Hi Wes!
    How are you doing?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Here's a few pictures of some changes to the front of the engine. One change was to use two belts to drive
    the power steering pump and alternator instead of one belt. I spent quite a bit of time making the one
    belt idea work. And it did work, but the belt had to be incredibly tight because the P/S pump pulley had
    less than 90* of belt wrap and when under load it was liable to slip. Really not the best in spite of my
    desire for simplicity. It still wasn't really simple as I had to pick P/S pump mounting bolts with thinner
    bolt heads to clear one of the belts.
    Another change was concerning the cooling system, the crossover I'm using instead of an engine mounted
    circulating pump, and about 3' of hard walled 1-1/4" hose. The instructions from Monitor Systems showed
    a 3/4" bypass hose from an engine mounted circ pump to the top intake manifold connection. This system
    has a Heat Exchanger mounted thermostat which seemed to me the bypass was unnecessary. I called
    Monitor Systems and asked about it, they told me it was unnecessary w/a crossover. Another type of crossover
    was available from Hardin Marine that was simple and clean and had a 1" female pipe thread located in the center
    of the top (or bottom) of the crossover. Hardin also had a polished SST 1" 90* elbow w/male pipe thread on
    one end and a 1-1/4" male hose barb on the other end. With the new crossover in place and the new elbow
    pointing forward, I was able to utilize a molded hose instead of the old hard walled hose. The molded hose
    fits great and really cleans up the space in front of the engine.
    Below are some pictures of before and after. In the original pictures, the single belt, the bypass hose, the old
    crossover, and old hose are visible.
    The after pictures show the new belt arrangement, bypass, elbow, and new molded hose connected to the
    remote electric circulating pump.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George,

That is NICE!!!!

Great work. Did you get it running smoothly?
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by txtaz View Post
    George,

That is NICE!!!!

Great work. Did you get it running smoothly?
    It's running pretty good.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Lightbulb

George just in case you have not sorted out the wiggly pump, what I have many times is to put "thin" oring's on the bolt shanks they hold it in place gets rid of the alignment issue. When I set up mine I machined the pulley for the pump boss to seat in.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

So my friend Rick and I took the TR out again today. Every time we go out, it gets better.
    Today we tried a 26" Bravo I 4 blade prop and it performed much better than the 27" Mirage,
    still not as well as a Hydro Q4, but much better.
    We found out a lot today, keeping in mind the engine still has less than 4 hours on it.
    So, it'll cruise at 3500 RPM @ 50 MPH. It'll rev to 4000 RPM still on the primaries. I don't
    remember the speed.
    It topped out at 69 MPH @ 4500 RPM. We just ran it up, tried for best trim (which wasn't
    the best w/this prop) and decreased the throttle.
    The speedometer quit working (we were using GPS for our speeds), when we got back to
    the ramp I discovered probably 10 gallons of lake water in the bilge. I think the speedometer
    hose joint just inside the transom came apart. I'll look at it tomorrow.
    There's some pictures below showing the gauges. One as we got started and cruising at 50
    and 3500 RPM. Notice the coolant temp is only 130* or so. The heat exchanger is designed
    for 500-600 HP and it seems just running around the lake isn't generating a lot of heat.
    Likewise, the oil temperature didn't get over 120*, and the boat has a large Revolution Marine
    oil cooler. I'm sure that as time goes by, I'll be running a bit harder.
    Anyway, oil pressure was never below 50 PSI. Raw water pressure was 4 PSI @ 50 MPH
    (the relief valve is set for 20 PSI) and it will rise at higher speeds.
    Fuel pressure is 4.5 PSI and not the 6 PSI shown on the gauge (I don't know why they don't
    show the same). I'm pretty pleased. It'll make a great boat for someone.

Attached Images Attached Images
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I really think you should keep it until February and just enjoy the fruits of your labour. That way new buyer will get a full season out of it...Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Donnelly View Post
    I really think you should keep it until February and just enjoy the fruits of your labour. That way new buyer will get a full season out of it...Ed
    I thought you were coming down in March next year??????

Actually I won't be using it much at all this summer.
    Boating's not much fun right now.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Great to see you out running her after all your efforts--sounds like she's doing great and you're still making strides dialing her in. Bring her up to Chatt if you want...
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

George, each time it is getting better.

Try to get the oil temp up. 180 is a good place to start.

My 454 running at 4,000 + for a bit sees 260 on the oil temp.

Oil should get to 180 or so to evaporated any condensate.

Ken

Georrge; I didn't want to push my luck hoping for March.
    If you do sell before March,, Florida is a short hop by plane. L.O.L. ..Ed

Thread Information