Page 112 of 124 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 122 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1853

Thread: Now I'm getting serious....

How the boat sits on the bunks and the balance of the trailer is the most important concern IMHO. If the post sits partially on the side rails, why not just put a piece of aluminum flat bar under it as a spacer to level it off?
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by yeller View Post
    How the boat sits on the bunks and the balance of the trailer is the most important concern IMHO. If the post sits partially on the side rails, why not just put a piece of aluminum flat bar under it as a spacer to level it off?
    Well done Glen!
    That's something I'd kicked around.
    So yesterday, I ordered a piece of 3" X 5/16" aluminum flat bar....the piece I had to order is 4' long.
    I'll postpone tying it all down until the boat is back on the trailer.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

so when are you going to finally light that thing up?
    Jay Z.
    '93 White/Teal Classic 22

So I haven't been sitting on my butt doing nothing.
    Actually I spent several weeks and well over $2K on the trailer. I'll post pictures later.
    There's a logical process to this. I can't put the outdrive on until I get the boat off the dollies and onto the trailer.

But today Bob Wilson (Tidbart) came over and the two of us started the engine successfully, timed it, and broke in the cam (30 minutes @ 2000 RPM).
    It was a pretty cool, very wet (w/o actually raining) day, humidity 90+%, and 58*F.
    Of course, just sitting there, it's producing very little heat (or power for that matter). We continually monitored the gauges, and used an IR temp gun on all the various systems.
    After 30 minutes the heat exchanger thermostat never fully opened (the temp on the gauge, the hoses and the HE shell never got above 140*. The raw water discharge through the exhaust was 120*. Oil pressure was a steady 45#, oil temp (eventually) got to 160*.
    I was pretty pleased, it'd been awhile coming.
    I would be posting a couple of videos below, but my phone shoots videos in MP4 which, apparently, is invalid on this site, any suggestions?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    So I haven't been sitting on my butt doing nothing.
    Actually I spent several weeks and well over $2K on the trailer. I'll post pictures later.
    There's a logical process to this. I can't put the outdrive on until I get the boat off the dollies and onto the trailer.

But today Bob Wilson (Tidbart) came over and the two of us started the engine successfully, timed it, and broke in the cam (30 minutes @ 2000 RPM).
    It was a pretty cool, very wet (w/o actually raining) day, humidity 90+%, and 58*F.
    Of course, just sitting there, it's producing very little heat (or power for that matter). We continually monitored the gauges, and used an IR temp gun on all the various systems.
    After 30 minutes the heat exchanger thermostat never fully opened (the temp on the gauge, the hoses and the HE shell never got above 140*. The raw water discharge through the exhaust was 120*. Oil pressure was a steady 45#, oil temp (eventually) got to 160*.
    I was pretty pleased, it'd been awhile coming.
    I would be posting a couple of videos below, but my phone shoots videos in MP4 which, apparently, is invalid on this site, any suggestions?
    Post them to You Tube and then insert the link into the post. 30 min at 2000 RPM, does that mean you used a flat tappet cam?
    machinist ,bore it deeper,ream it bigger, and lap it to a fine finish

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by joseph m. hahnl View Post
    Post them to You Tube and then insert the link into the post. 30 min at 2000 RPM, does that mean you used a flat tappet cam?
    Thanks for the tip.

Yes, a Comp hydraulic flat tappet cam.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Here is mine, but it needs rotation. Sorry. I can't rotate the video on my PC.

IMG_0293.MOV
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

OK, Here're the YouTube addresses:

http://youtu.be/CwrhaT4Mdxg

http://youtu.be/0cAvLK1Onr4
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Thanks, looks and sounds great! (Think the steering wheel's supposed to be on the right though.)
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Thanks, looks and sounds great! (Think the steering wheel's supposed to be on the right though.)
    Mike, that's a universal steering wheel, put it where ya want it.
    It does have a quick disconnect hub.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I swear I want to download this thread and print it with quick reference tabs to keep in my shop!

What a beautiful boat with attention to every imaginable system, surface and detail. George, you have a methodical approach and a creative drive to work though all of the issues in rebuilding these boats.

Seriously, if anyone is a boat enthusiast and hasn't read all 112 pages (1675 posts covering 7 years and 3 months) you owe it to yourself to do so. Besides a Donzi Classic enthusiast, I am also a woody boater guy... and we appreciate the effort it takes to completely restore a wooden boat. But, most people (including the woody guys) have no idea what it takes to properly go through a fiberglass boat to produce one of this quality.

After realizing the size of job this is, I almost want to give up on my Donzi 16' resto right now.... but instead, I think I'll use this thread as a guideline, a text book, a resource manual and a source of strength. Unless you have a really, really BIG bank account; A person would be hard pressed to hire a shop to do this level of work (and maybe not even then) so, the only way you get a boat of this calibre is to do it yourself.

Now, get out and run that Red Devil George. You deserve to enjoy it!
    Thanks for recording this process.
    Sean Conroy,
    1964 Formula Jr. (hull #2) project

1972 Greavette Sunflash III
    1981 Kavalk Mistral project

"A man can accomplish anything... as long as he doesn't care who gets the credit."

It is wonderful to see you are almost there George! The engine sounds perfect. Are those Corsa muffler tips with the baffles?

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Are those Corsa muffler tips with the baffles?
    Thank you Bill!
    Yes, I'm doing what I can to quieten it. Those Corsa risers are switchable also.
    It's still pretty loud. My office manager told me it shook the entire office.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

i'll be up that way on the 16-18th, will it get wet by then?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

He's waiting for Ed Donnelly to come down and finish wiring the gauges...lol
    Ed will be coming south soon...he has to pick up his daughter Taylor....
    "YIPPY-KAI-YAY"
    1993 Donzi Classic 22 by Chris Craft...
    White with Yellow stripes...
    502 King Cobra...
    Its hard to be humble when you own a Donzi. (In my humble opinion).
    To hear it run...click the link below...
    http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/a...er_media_share

Thread Information